Thread poster: MonaA
MonaA
MonaA
Local time: 02:05
German to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 6, 2011

Hallo everybody,
I'm new to OmegaT , it's working good , but i can't use Glossaries, I tried many times to setup a Glossary, but it didn't work, I made an txt file using open office, and added .utf8 to the file name, the file code is UTF-8, i don't know what's wrong with my file.

can anyone send my a working glossary file, which i can edit in order to make my glossary?

best regards,
Mona

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Create a glossary from OmegaT Jun 6, 2011

MonaA wrote:
can anyone send my a working glossary file, which i can edit in order to make my glossary?

Since version 2.2.2, OmegaT allows you to create a glossary directly from the Editor.

Use Edit > Create Glossary Entry.

This will create a glossary file, which you will then be able to edit.

Didier

Manticore (X)
Manticore (X)  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
Hi Mona Jun 6, 2011

please ensure that the entries (source entry, target entry and possible comment) are separated by TAB.

Also, please use OpenOffice Writer to generate this file and save the file as Text encoded (*.txt), clear "Automatic file name extension" and activate "Edit filter settings". Then click "Save". Click "Keep current format" and in the next window make sure Unicode (UTF-8) is selected.

If you want you can also use a CSV file using OpenOffice Calc. Let me know if you woul
... See more
please ensure that the entries (source entry, target entry and possible comment) are separated by TAB.

Also, please use OpenOffice Writer to generate this file and save the file as Text encoded (*.txt), clear "Automatic file name extension" and activate "Edit filter settings". Then click "Save". Click "Keep current format" and in the next window make sure Unicode (UTF-8) is selected.

If you want you can also use a CSV file using OpenOffice Calc. Let me know if you would prefer this.

Regards

Roland
Collapse

MonaA
MonaA
German to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked :) Jun 6, 2011

thanks a lot for your help , it worked now , I downloaded the last version also made a glossary using notepad, but I saved it as utf8, not txt, and it worked

Marina Herrera
Marina Herrera
United States
Local time: 20:05
French to English
+ ...
Didier's reply is the easiest of all--with a little more explanation Jun 6, 2011

Mona, you can create your glossary on the go by using the short cut while translating: select the phrase/word you want to appear in the glossary in the source text, press Ctrl= Shft + g and the window opens with two sub-windows, press the source term sub-window and the source text will appear there. If you already have the translation in the target text, select it and click on the target term sub-window and it will automatically appear there. It works equally well when you want to put the term t... See more
Mona, you can create your glossary on the go by using the short cut while translating: select the phrase/word you want to appear in the glossary in the source text, press Ctrl= Shft + g and the window opens with two sub-windows, press the source term sub-window and the source text will appear there. If you already have the translation in the target text, select it and click on the target term sub-window and it will automatically appear there. It works equally well when you want to put the term the next time it appears. select it at the Glossary window and click. It will appear anywhere in your target text, even replace the source version if you selected it before going to the glossary window. And I love the fact that I can make any kind of notes in the entry.
It's a great improvement over the previous ways of preparing the glossary.
Marina
Collapse

MonaA
MonaA
German to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 7, 2011

Thanks Marina, Omega T is really a great open source program, i like it even before learning all it's features

have a nice day

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

GR - AR Glossary never worked!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »