Can I delete source files without damaging the memory?
Thread poster: elm0505
elm0505
elm0505
Spain
Local time: 08:27
French to Spanish
+ ...
May 19, 2011

Hello everyone

I am continuously translating a series of small texts in the same project (descriptions and directions that tend to be quite repetitive, so that's why I'm using a CAT tool to make the process faster). Once I have the translation, I don't need the source docs anymore (or the target ones, for that matter). I've been acumulating too many documents in the source folder, which are somewhat slowing down my Omega T (and my work, as I now need to browse through too many files
... See more
Hello everyone

I am continuously translating a series of small texts in the same project (descriptions and directions that tend to be quite repetitive, so that's why I'm using a CAT tool to make the process faster). Once I have the translation, I don't need the source docs anymore (or the target ones, for that matter). I've been acumulating too many documents in the source folder, which are somewhat slowing down my Omega T (and my work, as I now need to browse through too many files in the Source Files list)
I'm just wondering if there'd be any problem if I deleted all the docs that I don't need anymore. My concern is that I don't know if the memory will be modificated if I do so, in other words, if the translated segments belonging to that docs will be deleted too when I update the memory by selecting "Create Translated Documents".

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Sure May 19, 2011

I can't see why not. Everything will still be there in the .tmx.
Since I'm no expert, and sometimes (!) make mistakes, you could try one and check that all is well.

Susan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You can May 19, 2011

elm0505 wrote:
I'm just wondering if there'd be any problem if I deleted all the docs that I don't need anymore. My concern is that I don't know if the memory will be modificated if I do so, in other words, if the translated segments belonging to that docs will be deleted too when I update the memory by selecting "Create Translated Documents".

All previous segments from previous documents will remain in the project_save.tmx file indefinitely, even if you remove those documents from the /source/ folder.

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, I have tried this May 19, 2011

Susan Welsh wrote:

I can't see why not. Everything will still be there in the .tmx.
Since I'm no expert, and sometimes (!) make mistakes, you could try one and check that all is well.

Susan

Samuel Murray wrote:

elm0505 wrote:

All previous segments from previous documents will remain in the project_save.tmx file indefinitely, even if you remove those documents from the /source/ folder.

Hi everyone, I did as Susan suggested, I copied my project folder in another disk and proceeded to delete all the source and target files except for one. I opened this project, made some minor changes, saved and created translated documents, and as Samuel Murray stated, project_save.tmx remained untouched, keeping the previous TUs and including the new ones. But level1.tmx, -level2.tmx and -omegat.tmx do change and lose information. So far it's ok for me, but the only problem I see with this is: what happens if you want to export the memory to other CAT tools such as Trados, is project_save.tmx compatible? If not, what should one do, make backup of -level1.tmx, -level2.tmx and -omegat.tmx before making any change...?

Thanks for your responses.

[Editado a las 2011-05-19 14:04 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Of course they do May 19, 2011

elm0505 wrote:
...and as Samuel Murray stated, project_save.tmx remained untouched, keeping the previous TUs and including the new ones. But level1.tmx, -level2.tmx and -omegat.tmx do change and lose information.

Yes, of course. The -level1.tmx, -level2.tmx and -omegat.tmx memories are export-memories and reflect only the segments of the current source files. This makes it possible for you to get TMs that contain no extra segments, and only the segments that are in the source files themselves.

...what happens if you want to export the memory to other CAT tools such as Trados, is project_save.tmx compatible?

Yes, the project_save.tmx is an ordinary TMX memory, optimised for OmegaT use (the same applies to the -omegat.tmx memory). The -level2.tmx file is probably better for export to Trados, though.

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 19, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

elm0505 wrote:
...and as Samuel Murray stated, project_save.tmx remained untouched, keeping the previous TUs and including the new ones. But level1.tmx, -level2.tmx and -omegat.tmx do change and lose information.

Yes, of course. The -level1.tmx, -level2.tmx and -omegat.tmx memories are export-memories and reflect only the segments of the current source files. This makes it possible for you to get TMs that contain no extra segments, and only the segments that are in the source files themselves.

...what happens if you want to export the memory to other CAT tools such as Trados, is project_save.tmx compatible?

Yes, the project_save.tmx is an ordinary TMX memory, optimised for OmegaT use (the same applies to the -omegat.tmx memory). The -level2.tmx file is probably better for export to Trados, though.

Your help is very appreciated, I'm new to OmegaT and I'm really passionate about this tool.

Best regards

(off topic)
By the way, why are my contributions taking so long to be authorised? I'm not a spammer or a troll...
(/off topic)

[Editado a las 2011-05-19 16:25 GMT]

[Editado a las 2011-05-19 16:26 GMT]

Emanuela Galdelli
Emanuela Galdelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Welcome on forums May 19, 2011

Hello elm0505, first of all welcome on ProZ.com forums and let me apologize for the delay in approving your messages.

Moderators are not always connected. We are translators too and sometimes we do not manage to follow all the posts.

So forgive us if we do not manage to approve messages immediately.

In any case if you need help on the use of forums or something else, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice evening.

Emanuela

elm0505
elm0505
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ohh May 20, 2011

Emanuela Galdelli wrote:

Hello elm0505, first of all welcome on ProZ.com forums and let me apologize for the delay in approving your messages.

Moderators are not always connected. We are translators too and sometimes we do not manage to follow all the posts.

So forgive us if we do not manage to approve messages immediately.

In any case if you need help on the use of forums or something else, do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice evening.

Emanuela

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that. Thanks anyway!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Can I delete source files without damaging the memory?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »