Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 04:23
English to German
+ ...
Feb 24, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I am sure someone can help me because my question is actually a really stupid one (but I am brave enough to post it!):

I would like to finally install OmegaT, and therefore I also have to install the Java Runtime Environment. Now I am totally confused by the names of all the Java stuff that is available by Sun!

The OmegaT site points to this
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am sure someone can help me because my question is actually a really stupid one (but I am brave enough to post it!):

I would like to finally install OmegaT, and therefore I also have to install the Java Runtime Environment. Now I am totally confused by the names of all the Java stuff that is available by Sun!

The OmegaT site points to this download site http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html, where I see the J2EE 1.4 SDK, the NetBeans IDE v 3.5.1 with J2SE v 1.4.2 COBUNDLE, and the J2SE v 1.4.2_03 (JRE -is this the right one? - and SDK).

Maybe someone can tell me if the one on that site here is the right one: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/install.html

I have installed the J2SDK 1.4.2_nb some time ago, so I wonder if I can also use it for this purpose?

Also, is there already a translator working on the German documentation for OmegaT (Marc was on the look out for one last year)?
I am a newbie to CAT tools (and I actually don't like them), but I wanted to take a look at OmegaT because it deals with OpenOffice.org files. I always prefer and find it easier to get used to new software in my own language, although I know this sometimes prevents me from getting relevant information.

Thanks in advance!

Michaela
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT: Installation J2RE Feb 25, 2004

Michaela Müller wrote:

I am sure someone can help me because my question is actually a really stupid one

It is not a stupid question. There are half a dozen different types of Java, and Sun changes their names every two months just to confuse people.

If you just want to run OmegaT, and don't plan to modify or localize the program, all you need is the JRE (Java run-time environment). You can get that here:

http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=9504

Also, is there already a translator working on the German documentation for OmegaT (Marc was on the look out for one last year)?

Sabine Cretella sent me the localized German version yesterday, in fact. It hasn't been packaged yet though (creation of a jar archive and batch file for launch). Give me a few more days.

Marc

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You can use SDK for JDK purposes Feb 25, 2004

Michaela Müller wrote:
I have installed the J2SDK 1.4.2_nb some time ago, so I wonder if I can also use it for this purpose?

The SDK is a developer's version of Java, and usually includes the runtime environment (the JDK). Version 1.4.2 is quite new, much newer than version 1.3, which you also mention.

I have been able to intall SDK 1.2 on an old W95 box and OmegaT 1.3 ran fine (although the colours were a problem... but you won't have this problem with OmegaT 1.2).

Under no circumstances should you try to install one version of Java over another. First uninstall the installed version.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
You can use SDK for JDK purposes Feb 26, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

The SDK is a developer's version of Java, and usually includes the runtime environment (the JDK).

What you mean is: you can use the SDK for _JRE_ (Java Runtime Environment) purposes. The SDK and the JDK are the same thing - Sun just changed the names. It's the JRE that's included in the SDK, or JDK, or whatever it's called this week (J2EE, I think, but I'm not sure).

Sun really deserves an award for this obfuscation.

Marc

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Quite right Feb 26, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:
What you mean is: you can use the SDK for _JRE_ (Java Runtime Environment) purposes.

Quite right. What I meant was that if you install the developer's version, you have the user's version in the bag.

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, guys!!!! Apr 19, 2004

Sorry for not answering earlier...
After uninstalling the SDK, I finally managed to install everything perfectly. Now I am extensively testing OmegaT - also with the help of the German manual, which is really great!

Thank you so much for helping me out, and I hope I can do something for you one day.

Michaela

juanjorque
juanjorque

Spanish to French
+ ...
Omega O Omega May 21, 2004

Hello,

I never had to use programs for translations before, but since I heard about Trados, Wordfast and others programs I wanted to see what they could do. So I decided to find one and reading by here and by there I found OmegaT. At first I could not install it but finally, with the last version of OmegaT 1.3.11, I managed. Then I had problems importing a document with spanish and french accents, I only saw strange sings. Finally I found Marc Prior's Guide , in french, that was
... See more
Hello,

I never had to use programs for translations before, but since I heard about Trados, Wordfast and others programs I wanted to see what they could do. So I decided to find one and reading by here and by there I found OmegaT. At first I could not install it but finally, with the last version of OmegaT 1.3.11, I managed. Then I had problems importing a document with spanish and french accents, I only saw strange sings. Finally I found Marc Prior's Guide , in french, that was very helpfull, merci Marc . This guide helped me to understand the windows conception of OmegaT. And , after testing and testing I found how to import the spanish and french accents. I had just to save the document, of course under TXT format, not under "Unicode" but under "UTF-8" and then after hours of testing, I saw my documents with french and spanish accents. I was very happy because I 'm not familiary at all with this CAT but I managed it. Now, I have just to know, and test , how to work with a HTLM document and Glossary ad may be more...

I share with You my experience because maybe it can help someone like me , I mean no introduce to CAT programs and neither "lexique" like Java run time??? etc...
What I like in OmegaT it that is free and it promises to give You the same alternatives and solutions than the other comercials programs.

Just for information, I installed it in a Ibook Se Tangerine (Orange), with 320 MB RAM and 300 MHz PowerPC G3, runing under Mac OSX 10.2.8

Voilà, I wish You a good day or une bonne soirée
Juan
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT: Installation J2RE

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »