Editing segmentation while translating
Thread poster: Viivi
Viivi
Viivi
Finland
Local time: 16:07
Dec 11, 2010

Hello all!

I am just starting a large translation project with OmegaT 2.1.7_1. There are strict limits for the length of the target text, so heavy modification and reduction of the source text will be inevitable at times.

The problem is I do not know how to merge certain segments in OmegaT.

If I simply put my translation into one of the segments I am covering and leave the others empty, OmegaT will put the source text segments (instead of the empty target o
... See more
Hello all!

I am just starting a large translation project with OmegaT 2.1.7_1. There are strict limits for the length of the target text, so heavy modification and reduction of the source text will be inevitable at times.

If I simply put my translation into one of the segments I am covering and leave the others empty, OmegaT will put the source text segments (instead of the empty target ones) into the target file! I suppose instead of leaving the segments empty, I could put a few empty spaces into them and then delete them from the target file, but then I would not get the full benefit of the translation memory created. I cannot think of a way to change segmentation in individual places with segmentation rules either.

Can anybody tell me a way to change the segmentation while translating? Thank you already in advance!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Viivi Dec 11, 2010

Viivi wrote:

Option 1: Merge them in the source text (in the /source/ folder), then reload in OmegaT (press F5).
Option 2: Add a special segmentation rule that neutralises the break between the segments. To do this, you have to read up on segmentation rules in the User Manual (it uses regex).

If you use Option 2 but want a quicker way to add certain words as non-break points, use my little script: http://leuce.com/tempfile/omtautoit/segadder.zip (must have Windows).

I cannot think of a way to change segmentation in individual places with segmentation rules either.

Well, you can add the entire first sentence as a non-break rule.

Viivi
Viivi
Finland
Local time: 16:07
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 13, 2010

Thank you for replying, Samuel! I guess option number one is the simplest way to edit segmentation in OmegaT... unfortunately.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Editing segmentation while translating

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »