OmegaT for Help & Manual projects
Thread poster: HermannHild
Jul 12, 2010

Hi Everybody,

I am using OmegaT 2.1.7_1 in combination with Help&Manual, and my first steps indicte it works quite well. However, I have a few minor issues - I agree they are quite specific, but maybe someone here can offer me a useful hint.

- In Help&Manual, text can be protected againg modification and translation using a"padlock" tool, which will add a "translate=false" attribute to the underlying XML source structure. However, this is ignored by OmegaT. Is there any
... See more
Hi Everybody,

I am using OmegaT 2.1.7_1 in combination with Help&Manual, and my first steps indicte it works quite well. However, I have a few minor issues - I agree they are quite specific, but maybe someone here can offer me a useful hint.

- In Help&Manual, text can be protected againg modification and translation using a"padlock" tool, which will add a "translate=false" attribute to the underlying XML source structure. However, this is ignored by OmegaT. Is there any other way to protect source text against translation? Or how else could I efficiently make sure I have translated everything, although there is a percentage of phrases which does not have to be translated?

- When using the machine translation command (Ctrl-M), the spaces before or after tags are messed up. In my environment, I have to repair them manually.

- machine translation will also alter escape sequences "< %xyz%>" used by Help&Manual as syntax for variables.

I had prepared some examples for the latter two issues, but failed to add them, because they contain too much HTML-like syntax to be properly displayed here.

Thanks!

Hermann

[Edited at 2010-07-12 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hermann Jul 12, 2010

HermannHild wrote:
- In Help&Manual, text can be protected againg modification and translation using a"padlock" tool, which will add a "translate=false" attribute to the underlying XML source structure.

What kind of a file is it?

- When using the machine translation command (Ctrl-M), the spaces before or after tags are messed up. In my environment, I have to repair them manually.

Yes, the problem lies with Google Translate. Google Translate does not know that these tags are tags, and treats them as ordinary text, and does things with them what Google thinks one should do with ordinary text.

- machine translation will also alter escape sequences "< %xyz%>" used by Help&Manual as syntax for variables.

Yes, for the same reason as above. Google Translate is not adapted to translating text with variables and tags. It treats all characters as if were part of a literary text.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Help & Manual Jul 12, 2010

HermannHild wrote:
- In Help&Manual, text can be protected againg modification and translation using a"padlock" tool, which will add a "translate=false" attribute to the underlying XML source structure.
Is there any other way to protect source text against translation?

No, because these "translate=false" texts can be inline text. As OmegaT doesn't have so far the concept of "visible but non editable text", it is not possible to take them into account.

Samuel Murray wrote:
What kind of a file is it?

Help & Manual.

That's a proprietary documentation format (XML-based), supported by OmegaT.

It's available since 2.1.1.

Didier

[Edited at 2010-07-12 15:23 GMT]

HermannHild
HermannHild
TOPIC STARTER
Help & Manual Builds... Jul 12, 2010

Didier Briel wrote:

No, because these "translate=false" texts can be inline text. As OmegaT doesn't have so far the concept of "visible but non editable text", it is not possible to take them into account.

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes, the problem lies with Google Translate ...

Thanks for your answers! I understand there is not much one can do about the Google-Translate problem....

Maybe another way to solve the Help&Manual problem of texts which are not to be translated could be the "IFDEF BuildId" ..."ENDIF" mechanism (Text within such a block is only considered if the corresponding BuildID is defined, simular to C/C++ #ifdef...). If OmegaT could take such blocks into account, the user could specify "build settings" to include or exclude text blocks - just an idea ...

Hermann

HermannHild
HermannHild
TOPIC STARTER
Conditional Texts ... Jul 26, 2010

Didier Briel wrote:

HermannHild wrote:

Didier

[Edited at 2010-07-12 15:23 GMT]

Hmm, I am not sure what you mean by inline text... If I look into the Help&Manual text I see many "Text" nodes with the translate=false attribute, and it would be very helpful if those where omitted. The even better solution would be to use the conditional text provided by Help&Manual, but that is probably more complicated to implement.

Sorry to bother you again with this issue - its just that not having a way to selectively translate text segments complicates my life considerably, because the Help&Manual source texts contains a lot of text which needs not to be translated ... I was already considering building an own preprocessing tool for the H&M source text, but before I start this adventure, I wanted to check again if anyone has a better and faster way to achieve this?

Thanks, Hermann

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Inline means inside a segment Jul 26, 2010

HermannHild wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

Hmm, I am not sure what you mean by inline text...

It means text inside a segment.

E.g. (I'm not using real code here, because of the way these forums interpret text):
This is a <text styleclass="Normal" translate="false">protected text</text> that OmegaT cannot handle.

If I were to declare translate=false as something to ignore in OmegaT, the segment would appear as

This is a that OmegaT cannot handle.

Didier

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Handling of translate=false May 24, 2012

HermannHild wrote:
- In Help&Manual, text can be protected againg modification and translation using a"padlock" tool, which will add a "translate=false" attribute to the underlying XML source structure. However, this is ignored by OmegaT.

This has been implemented in the recently released version 2.5.4 update 1.

- Help&Manual: hide content of tags per translate=true/false
http://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=3528468

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT for Help & Manual projects

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »