Thread poster: Ryan Green
Ryan Green
Ryan Green  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:28
Portuguese to English
Feb 21, 2010

Hi all
I'm a newbie to Omega T and a client is asking me to create a TM for this project. I am clueless. Please help

Ryan

Eduardo García Soñanes
Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 15:28
English to Spanish
Under File, Save translation memory Feb 21, 2010

Hello Ryan,

When you are in OmegaT, with your project open, just go to File, and there you will find the option to Save translation memory. The shortcut is Ctrl+S.

Now, go to the folder where the project files are and you will find a subfolder called tm. You will find the TM there; it has the extension tmx. That's the file your client wants.

Hope this helps
Eduardo García Soñanes

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:28
English to French
+ ...
It happens automatically Feb 21, 2010

rgreen wrote:
I'm a newbie to Omega T and a client is asking me to create a TM for this project. I am clueless. Please help

There's nothing specific to do to create a TM in OmegaT.

Either you're speaking of the internal TM of the project: it is created automatically when you create a project.

Or you're speaking of a TM to send to a client: it is created automatically each time you use Project/Create Translated Documents.

This is documented in the manual (press F1) in "Translation memories".

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Disagree strongly with Eduardo Feb 21, 2010

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:
Now, go to the folder where the project files are and you will find a subfolder called tm. You will find the TM there; it has the extension tmx. That's the file your client wants.

No. The /tm/ folder is where the user puts his old TMs. OmegaT consults those TMs when getting fuzzy matches. But... OmegaT doesn't change or update any of the TMs in the /tm/ folder at all.

Press "Save" is not enough. You have to press "Ctrl+D" (Create translated documents). This will cause three TMX files (different dialects of it) to be created in the root folder of your project. If your client uses OmegaT as well, send her omt-omegat.tmx. If she doesn't use OmegaT, send her omt-level2.tmx.

Added: Remember, the three TMs in the root folder contain only the segments that occur in the current source text files. It doesn't contain any of the other, old segments from your old TMs. If you want to use a single TM approach for OmegaT (i.e. have only one TM in the /tm/ folder at any time), you have to merge the omt-omegat.tmx with your old TM (that you put in /tm/) every time after you're done with a job. For that, you can use TMXmerge or Okapi (as noted in another thread recently).

[Edited at 2010-02-21 10:29 GMT]

Ryan Green
Ryan Green  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:28
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
What about entering Segmentation rules? Feb 21, 2010

Thanks for the help guys Now I need to do the Segmentation Setup but Portuguese is not listed of course. What should I do?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
seg. rules for PT - no need to fix what´s not broken Feb 21, 2010

rgreen wrote:

Thanks for the help guys Now I need to do the Segmentation Setup but Portuguese is not listed of course. What should I do?

if you look through the segmentation rules for different (western) languages, you´ll soon realize 90% of them are exceptions to the "segment-after-period-or-equivalent" rule. Check Spanish, rule #1 - saying DONT break on the period in Dr. -.

So my suggestion is, just start translating - the default, generic rules will apply. And if you find a recurring case, where they suck in PT, let us know and we will write together, whatever is necessary, to make it work correctly.

Regards and I love Portuguese - one of the languages I would love to learn.

smo

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to Create a TM for a new project?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »