Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to update previous translation memory?
Thread poster: Harklas
Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:42
English to French
+ ...
Check your OmegaT TMX first Apr 11, 2011

Anders Dalstrom wrote:
I have tried to use all three Omega T tm-files (level 1, level 2, omegat) What am I doing wrong? How do I correct this?

Without trying to merge your TMXs, check first whether your OmegaT TMX contains something.

Just to be sure:
When you finished your translation, did you use Project > Create Translated Documents?

If you open (let's concentrate on only one, for instance the level2) the TMX in Olifant on its own, do the segments show as all being blanks?

If you open that TMX with a text editor (e.g., Notepad), do you see your content?

Didier

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TM-files are fine, but... Apr 11, 2011

Hi Didier,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, when I open the tmx with Wordpad or Olifant the text is there. I tried to reverse the order in Olifant, opening the tmx-file from my translation and then importing the existing tmx - with the result that all the segments from the client's existing tm are now blank!

Would it have anything to do with the fact that my translation is marked as EN - SV whereas the TM is EN-us and SV-sv and if so, how do I sort this?

... See more
Hi Didier,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, when I open the tmx with Wordpad or Olifant the text is there. I tried to reverse the order in Olifant, opening the tmx-file from my translation and then importing the existing tmx - with the result that all the segments from the client's existing tm are now blank!

Would it have anything to do with the fact that my translation is marked as EN - SV whereas the TM is EN-us and SV-sv and if so, how do I sort this?

Thanks again
Anders
Collapse

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Make the languages match Apr 11, 2011

Anders Dalstrom wrote:
Yes, when I open the tmx with Wordpad or Olifant the text is there.

Good.

You have to make the languages match.

One easy way is to change the languages in the OmegaT project (change it to EN-US and SV-SV), and create the target documents (and hence the TMX) again.

Didier

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
And it works! Apr 11, 2011

Huzzah! Thanks very much. Have been wondering about this for months, but haven't got round to do anything about it until today. This is great if you do many small projects for the same client - you don't have to end up with 30 tmx-files.

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Perhaps a suggestion for future versions? Apr 11, 2011

Would be handy to be able to merge TMs directly in Omega T. I think.

[Edited at 2011-04-11 16:19 GMT]

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
notepad Apr 13, 2011

Perhaps I’m writing something very stupid, but do you think it’s possible to merge 2 tm using just notepad? (I’m trying to do it right now and it seems to work – just by opening tm with notepad and using copy and paste)

Lidija

-english is not my working language-

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Of course, yes Apr 13, 2011

lidija68 wrote:
Perhaps I’m writing something very stupid, but do you think it’s possible to merge 2 tm using just notepad? (I’m trying to do it right now and it seems to work – just by opening tm with notepad and using copy and paste)

As long as you're very careful about the encoding, and which part you copy/paste, doing it with Notepad (or any text editor) is not an issue.

What it won't allow (compared with using Olifant or TMXMerger, for isntance) is filtering duplicates.

Didier

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
A short presentation of TMXMerger Mar 12, 2013

Didier Briel wrote:

For that, you can use TMXMerger.
You can get it from OmegaT Resources

It's a simple command line tool.

Didier

TMXMerger for merging

http://www.condak.net/tmx/tmx-merger/cs/00.html

and Virtaal for editing TMX.

Cheers,

Milan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to update previous translation memory?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »