Can 2 translators share TM at the same time in OmegaT?
Thread poster: Alex Nikitin
Jun 8, 2009

Hi

e.g. 2 translators are simultaneously translating the same project/document. Can they share TM (usually server-based) in OmegaT in the same fashion as they do with SDL Trados Professional?

i.e. as soon as one of the translators commints a translation to the TM, the other can immediately retrieve it through fuzzy mathcing or concordance search.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:30
English to French
+ ...
Yes and no Jun 8, 2009

Alex Nikitin wrote:
e.g. 2 translators are simultaneously translating the same project/document. Can they share TM (usually server-based) in OmegaT in the same fashion as they do with SDL Trados Professional?

They cannot do it the same way: i.e., they cannot write both to the same TM.

i.e. as soon as one of the translators commints a translation to the TM, the other can immediately retrieve it through fuzzy mathcing or concordance search.

(Supposing a network link fast enough.)
What can be done is that they both can use the TM of the other translator as a "reference TM". What the other translator has done will be available to the other each time is it saved (by default: every 10 minutes), and the project is reloaded.

Didier

[Edited at 2009-06-08 08:27 GMT]

Alex Nikitin
Alex Nikitin
TOPIC STARTER
Any plans to enable simultaneous write access to TM in future? Jun 8, 2009

Thank you for quick answer.

As a company, for me this is a critical roadblock to deploying OmegaT, since quite a few projects need simultaneous write access to TM, i.e. for several translators, editors, PMs, etc.

Could I ask whether your team has any plans to enable this kind of simultaneous write access to TM in OmegaT in future releases? If so, when?

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
No current plan Jun 8, 2009

Alex Nikitin wrote:
As a company, for me this is a critical roadblock to deploying OmegaT, since quite a few projects need simultaneous write access to TM, i.e. for several translators, editors, PMs, etc.

Could I ask whether your team has any plans to enable this kind of simultaneous write access to TM in OmegaT in future releases? If so, when?

We have a fair idea of how it would be done. We would still have a single text-based project's TM, but a 3-tier architecture. The clients would communicate with the core, located on the server, which would in turn work as currently.

We have no current plan for implementing this in the short term. As you might already know, developments depend on the availability and interest of contributors.

If this is a "critical roadblock" for you as a company, you might consider funding its development. You can contact me privately if you're interested in discussing this approach.

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two questions for Didier Jun 8, 2009

Didier Briel wrote:
What can be done is that they both can use the TM of the other translator as a "reference TM". What the other translator has done will be available to the other each time is it saved (by default: every 10 minutes), and the project is reloaded.

I'm asking here because the answers may be useful to some of us here.

1. Does OmegaT detect automatically when the contents of the Reference TM folder (which by default is the /tm/ folder but can be any user-defined folder) changes? I know there were talks in that direction (particularly with the Glossary folder) but has it been implemented for the Reference TM folder?
2. How does one change the 10-minute default for saving the project to, say, 1 minute? Can it be changed to less than 1 minute?

Didier Briel
France
English to French
+ ...
Three answers Jun 8, 2009

1. Does OmegaT detect automatically when the contents of the Reference TM folder (which by default is the /tm/ folder but can be any user-defined folder) changes? I know there were talks in that direction (particularly with the Glossary folder) but has it been implemented for the Reference TM folder?

No.
It has been implemented so far for the glossary and the dictionary (StarDict) folders.

2. How does one change the 10-minute default for saving the project to, say, 1 minute?

By changing 1 line in the source code.
That might sound very complicated, but actually it's not.
All is required is any text editor, installing Apache Ant, and typing "ant jar" in a command line.

Can it be changed to less than 1 minute?

Yes, since the time is expressed in milliseconds.

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thanks Jun 8, 2009

Didier Briel wrote:
Samuel wrote:
2. How does one change the 10-minute default for saving the project to, say, 1 minute?

By changing 1 line in the source code.

Thanks. I was hoping that there would be a commandline switch. Still, 10 minutes is a good default number.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Can 2 translators share TM at the same time in OmegaT?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »