Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Starting out with only omegaT - is this possible?
Thread poster: sjbeale (X)
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Prone to bugs Apr 28, 2009

sjbeale wrote:
I have heard [OmegaT] is prone to bugs...

Wordfast has ten times as many bugs as OmegaT. And ten times as many features too. But different people have different definitions of "bug", so ask what the person means who tells you that X or Y is prone to bugs.

The reported bugs of OmegaT are free to see:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=68187&atid=520347
Better the bug you know, than...

Basically I want to start out with a piece of software that I won't need to change a few months in to save learning to use another program from scratch...

This reasoning is sound if applied to extremely complex programs with many features. It would certainly apply to Trados. OmegaT is a relatively simple tool, though, and you won't be wasting your time learning it (unless it takes you more than 1 hour).

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Shortcomings Apr 28, 2009

sjbeale wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

As to OmegaT, I would not recommend it wholeheartedly. In my brief tests, it didn't convince me at all.

In what respect did it not convince you? I have heard it is prone to bugs - was this what you found? Basically I want to start out with a piece of software that I won't need to change a few months in to save learning to use another program from scratch - or is this not likely in the ever-changing world of translation?!

Thanks again.

I really just gave it a very brief glance.
First of all, I absolutely hate any software that creates its own little arbitrary folder structure in arbitrary places. OmegaT does this and it's horrible. No, I don't want to move/copy all my TMs every time I reuse them for a new file/project and I know damn well where I want to put my files, thank you. I am not 6 years old, let me do things my way... But that's a personal gripe, not really a functional shortcoming.

What's worse, even though OmegaT has an integrated terminology tool, you can't paste terms from it with a keyboard shortcut. I think it can't even do fuzzy search.

Actually, I seem to remember that the TM lookups are also somehow crippled. I think fuzzy searching/automatic pasting is not really satisfactory, but don't quote me on this.

And then... I decided to see what's what and tried to open a large TM. It was either 1 million TUs or half a million, I don't remember which TM I tried. OmegaT promptly crashed, although it did give me a message to try increasing some memory setting next time. I didn't bother so I don't know if it would've helped.

Overall, it's not bad but it could use more work. I applaud free software, and something like OmegaT would be great if it could come close to matching the feature set of the big hitters, but I think it is some way away. Again, I only tested it very briefly... I know there are people on here who use it regularly and maybe even some who are involved in the development so they know better.

Edit: I am with Kevin Lossner on the idea that OmegaT could be a good introduction into CATs. It's as simple as it gets, and you're not investing money. Once you're familiar with OmegaT and hence CAT basics, you can switch to any other tool in a day or two if you feel you need something more advanced. The only major drawback is that you may not get any work from "Trados required" agencies.

[Edited at 2009-04-28 21:00 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers to Farkas (or Andras) Apr 29, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:
First of all, I absolutely hate any software that creates its own little arbitrary folder structure in arbitrary places. OmegaT does this and it's horrible.

It creates the folder structure wherever you want it to be created. And although there is a default location for the source text, the target text, the glossaries and the TMs, nothing stops you from filling in your own locations (either by typing it in or using the Browse button). If you don't want to move around your TMs etc, you don't have to.

What's worse, even though OmegaT has an integrated terminology tool, you can't paste terms from it with a keyboard shortcut. I think it can't even do fuzzy search.

Yes, quite a shortcoming.

Actually, I seem to remember that the TM lookups are also somehow crippled. I think fuzzy searching/automatic pasting is not really satisfactory, but don't quote me on this.

Well, I think it is quite powerful, but there is one aspect of it that bugs me, and that is the fuzzy matching for heavily formatted segments. OmT retains formatting in its TM, and if the text matches but the formatting doesn't, it's often easier to just retype the text than to try and beat the fuzzy match into shape. At least you can see the match while you're typing.

And then... I decided to see what's what and tried to open a large TM. ... OmegaT promptly crashed, although it did give me a message to try increasing some memory setting next time. I didn't bother so I don't know if it would've helped.

It probably would have helped. But it would have been interesting to see if you would have been able to figure out how to increase the memory. It is documented in the User Manual, but not under the heading "How to increase memory". Only when you suspect correctly know one might increase the memory will you know in which section of the User Manual to look for it.

[Edited at 2009-04-29 09:35 GMT]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Starting out with only omegaT - is this possible? Apr 29, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

First of all, I absolutely hate any software that creates its own little arbitrary folder structure in arbitrary places.

So do I. What I don't like about some other CAT tools I have experience of is that you don't even know where these folders are. OmegaT's project structure is very simple and easy to understand.

No, I don't want to move/copy all my TMs every time I reuse them for a new file/project

Exactly, that's why that isn't necessary in OmegaT. Put your TMs in a folder of your choice, then when you create a project in OmegaT, select that folder as the TM repository. You can keep several different repositories, for different subjects, different customers, etc., and select the one you want for each project. There is no need to "move/copy all [my] TMs every time I reuse them for a new file/project".

and I know damn well where I want to put my files, thank you. I am not 6 years old, let me do things my way...

Which files? Source files? Put them where you like, just tell OmegaT (in the project dialog) where they are. Ditto the translated files. Ditto (as already mentioned) the TMs.

What's worse, even though OmegaT has an integrated terminology tool, you can't paste terms from it with a keyboard shortcut.

That is a shortcoming, yes.

I think it can't even do fuzzy search.

This, though, is not. Not only can OmegaT do fuzzy searches, it has two levels of complexity for search patterns, with wildcards and regular expressions.

Actually, I seem to remember that the TM lookups are also somehow crippled.

In what way are TM lookups "crippled"?

I think fuzzy searching/automatic pasting is not really satisfactory, but don't quote me on this.

OK, ignore that one folks.

And then... I decided to see what's what and tried to open a large TM. It was either 1 million TUs or half a million, I don't remember which TM I tried. OmegaT promptly crashed, although it did give me a message to try increasing some memory setting next time. I didn't bother so I don't know if it would've helped.

You can decide how much RAM you want to assign to OmegaT. If the default isn't sufficient, you assign more. It's quite easy to do.

Overall, it's not bad but it could use more work.

I'll agree with you on that, too, although it should be said that development is ongoing and many criticisms I hear of OmegaT are based upon the situation three or four years ago.

Marc

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One comment on Marc Apr 29, 2009

Marc P wrote:
FarkasAndras wrote:
What's worse, even though OmegaT has an integrated terminology tool, you can't paste terms from it with a keyboard shortcut. ... I think it can't even do fuzzy search.

Not only can OmegaT do fuzzy searches, it has two levels of complexity for search patterns, with wildcards and regular expressions.

I had the impression Farkas was talking about automatic fuzzy matching for glossary recognition. What you're talking about is reference searches.

sjbeale (X)
sjbeale (X)
Local time: 05:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So far, so good! Dec 9, 2010

I have been using OmegaT for a while now and am very happy with it. It's done me proud! Long may it continue that way!

Thanks for your all your advice before. Wouldn't change for the world now.

Regards,

Steve

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Starting out with only omegaT - is this possible?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »