Importing wordfast TM to OT
Thread poster: Roy Williams
Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 21:58
German to English
Feb 10, 2009

Does anyone know how to import a TM from wordfast (5.5) to OT. I've already create a TMX version but for some reason, OmegaT will not read it. error messages are generated that say there is an error on some line (varies) and that I should fix it. No idea where that's comming from.

Thanx in advance

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Importing wordfast TM to OmegaT Feb 10, 2009

Try validating the TMX file using the free TMX validator from Maxprograms:

www.maxprograms.com/downloads/

[Correction:]
Alternatively, you can convert TMX files produced by Wordfast to a form acceptable to OmegaT using t
... See more
Try validating the TMX file using the free TMX validator from Maxprograms:

www.maxprograms.com/downloads/

[Correction:]
Alternatively, you can convert TMX files produced by Wordfast to a form acceptable to OmegaT using the following Python script:

www.omegat.org/resources/WF.zip

Marc

[Edited at 2009-02-10 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One more option Feb 10, 2009

Try Wf2tmx utility found in the files section of the Wordfast Yahoo group.

Inter alia, the mentioned Python script was written for WF 4.x translation memories and won′t work with WF 5.x TMs, if they are in Unicode/UTF-16 (try converting them to UTF-8 with any good text editor first).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, forget this Feb 10, 2009

No, forget this.

[Edited at 2009-02-10 22:16 GMT]

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
forget what? Feb 11, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

No, forget this.

[Edited at 2009-02-10 22:16 GMT]

Do you mean to forget trying to import a wordfast TM to OT completely or just the suggestion preceding your post?

Is it that painful?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I mean, I take back my post Feb 11, 2009

WilRoy wrote:
Do you mean to forget trying to import a wordfast TM to OT completely or just the suggestion preceding your post?

Sorry, but ProZ.com's forum system has no option for deleting your own post, so I edited it out. I suggested something, then tested it to be sure, then realised that it doesn't work anymore, and then I blanked my own post. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I sometimes get the problem you have, and my solution is to stick it out and fix the errors manually as they are reported, and hope that there aren't too many of them.

Also don't forget that you can open your Wordfast TM in Excel and save it as CSV, then use a CSV converter to create a TMX from it.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mine as well Feb 11, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
my solution is to stick it out and fix the errors manually as they are reported, and hope that there aren't too many of them.

Same here. Normally, a TMX file exported by WF will cause 1 or 2 errors, that can be fixed manually (well, even deleting a TU or two won’t ruin your work). As I understand, the problem was use of special entities by WF. In the latest builds, however, plain Unicode characters are said to be used instead, thus, problems should be gone.

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
"how to import a TM from wordfast (5.5) to OT" Feb 13, 2009

I am regularly using Okapi Tools, i.e the Olifant internal application for that operation: open and/or import several Wf memories into a larger one, then export them, or save them as TMX. Works very nice.
Another reserve tool of the same kind, which sometimes can provide more safety, but has less features, is a previous version of the same tool: Rainbow + Olifant.

What Marc and Esperantisto say, is also correct.
(Esperantisto, Wf2tmx does use Wf memories in UT-16LE, and
... See more
I am regularly using Okapi Tools, i.e the Olifant internal application for that operation: open and/or import several Wf memories into a larger one, then export them, or save them as TMX. Works very nice.
Another reserve tool of the same kind, which sometimes can provide more safety, but has less features, is a previous version of the same tool: Rainbow + Olifant.

What Marc and Esperantisto say, is also correct.
(Esperantisto, Wf2tmx does use Wf memories in UT-16LE, and exports into TMX. I do not notice the difference, besides the improvements on the latest version of the said tool: if before I had a language ID like: IT-IT, than Wf2tmx merrily kept cutting out the regional suffix: "-IT".

dragomir

WilRoy wrote:

Does anyone know how to import a TM from wordfast (5.5) to OT. I've already create a TMX version but for some reason, OmegaT will not read it. error messages are generated that say there is an error on some line (varies) and that I should fix it. No idea where that's comming from.

Thanx in advance
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I did not know that Feb 13, 2009

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

if before I had a language ID like: IT-IT, than Wf2tmx merrily kept cutting out the regional suffix: "-IT".

But one of the things, that I like very much about OmegaT, is that OmegaT does not care about language codes

Thanks for the information!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It is also a downside... Feb 13, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
But one of the things, that I like very much about OmegaT, is that OmegaT does not care about language codes

It does mean, however, that OmegaT TMX files may not work on tools that are more strict when it comes to language codes.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Big deal! Feb 13, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

It does mean, however, that OmegaT TMX files may not work on tools that are more strict when it comes to language codes.

I don’t care. Those, who do, can simply search and replace the codes in any text editor.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Clarification Feb 13, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Is the issue here the "OmegaT TMX file", or the fact that the OmegaT user may not have specified the precise language variant expected by the other user's CAT tool? If I've understood the issue correctly, the incompatibility lies in the workflow, not the technology.

Marc

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Assuming user's level of geekiness Feb 13, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

I don’t care. Those, who do, can simply search and replace the codes in any text editor.

That is, if they can figure out the reason why the other CAT tool isn't serving matches from the TM and/or giving such a weird error message. I recently encountered a tool (in beta, but still) that assumes all TMX files are 1.4, and if it finds anything 1.1-ish in the file that it doesn't understand, it tries to fix it (and usually breaks it). You hope the user has a backup copy of his beloved TMX file...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The issue is the OmegaT TMX file Feb 13, 2009

Marc P wrote:
Is the issue here the "OmegaT TMX file", or the fact that the OmegaT user may not have specified the precise language variant expected by the other user's CAT tool?

OmegaT does not complain if the user enters invalid or uncompliant language codes, but simply uses them as-is. True, if you try to add a language code like "EN-US-hillbilly" or "AF-ZA-orania", you get an error message that says "xx_XX" or "xx-XX" are the only valid codes. But the default (and hence suggested) language codes in OmegaT's project properties pane are in the form XX-XX (not xx-XX).

[Edited at 2009-02-13 12:29 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Importing wordfast TM to OT

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »