Thread poster: Lyle Translations
Lyle Translations
Lyle Translations
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:29
French to English
Nov 24, 2008

Hello there

I am having a big problem with OmegaT, which I've recently started using. I was asked to send tmx. files to my client for them to open them in Trados, and it worked when we did a test, but upon receipt of the tmxs I've sent today, they say only half the text seems to be translated when viewed in Trados.

I have double checked and I definitely translated everything that I saw in the original texts. I wondered if anyone had experience of this problem and if th
... See more
Hello there

I am having a big problem with OmegaT, which I've recently started using. I was asked to send tmx. files to my client for them to open them in Trados, and it worked when we did a test, but upon receipt of the tmxs I've sent today, they say only half the text seems to be translated when viewed in Trados.

I have double checked and I definitely translated everything that I saw in the original texts. I wondered if anyone had experience of this problem and if there are any compatibility issues between OmegaT and Trados? I would be very grateful for any solutions.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:29
English to Turkish
+ ...
More info please Nov 24, 2008

What was the format of the original document? Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ...

Lyle Translations
Lyle Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
xlf and xml Nov 24, 2008

Thanks for getting back to me. The files are xlf and xml. I had to sent them back as tmx.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:29
German to English
+ ...
Exporting TMX from Omegat to Trados" Nov 24, 2008

Your customer is almost certainly using different segmentation rules to yours, since the default rules are probably different, quite apart from any customization. This will result in some cases in one segment in OmegaT corresponding to two in Trados or vice-versa, and consequently not being presented as a 100% match. This could equally happen between two OmegaT users (as soon as either of them makes any change to the segmentation rules), and presumably also between two Trados users. Even so, "ha... See more
Your customer is almost certainly using different segmentation rules to yours, since the default rules are probably different, quite apart from any customization. This will result in some cases in one segment in OmegaT corresponding to two in Trados or vice-versa, and consequently not being presented as a 100% match. This could equally happen between two OmegaT users (as soon as either of them makes any change to the segmentation rules), and presumably also between two Trados users. Even so, "half of the text" sounds a little pessimistic.

Possible solutions (in Trados) may include reducing the minimum fuzzy match percentage and using the search function to find any matches that are not automatically presented. Try asking Trados users: they may have more ideas.

You should ask your customer for examples of text that has not been translated; then you can open your tmx file in a text editor and search for those segments to see whether they actually were translated.

Marc
Collapse

Lyle Translations
Lyle Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 24, 2008

Thanks for your advice Marc. I have been using sentence-level segmentation so will ask the client if they are doing the same. I will also ask the client what bits are missing.

I haven't used Trados but I wonder if perhaps Trados is 'expecting' there to be twice the amount of text that is there because it is including both the source and target text in its word count. Therefore that might explain why it seems there is only half the text.

I've had a look at the source xml
... See more
Thanks for your advice Marc. I have been using sentence-level segmentation so will ask the client if they are doing the same. I will also ask the client what bits are missing.

I haven't used Trados but I wonder if perhaps Trados is 'expecting' there to be twice the amount of text that is there because it is including both the source and target text in its word count. Therefore that might explain why it seems there is only half the text.

I've had a look at the source xml and xlf files as txt files and they seem to match what I've done in Omega T so I think it may be a problem at the client end.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Exporting TMX from Omegat to Trados Nov 25, 2008

Lyle,

Your customer is probably also using sentence-level segmentation, but there can still be differences between the segmentation rules. (Although they are unlikely to cause "half of the text" to be missed, but perhaps the customer is just exaggerating.)

TMX files by definition contain both the source and the target text, so it cannot be the case that Trados is expecting the source text but it is not there.

Another possibility is that your customer is exp
... See more
Lyle,

Your customer is probably also using sentence-level segmentation, but there can still be differences between the segmentation rules. (Although they are unlikely to cause "half of the text" to be missed, but perhaps the customer is just exaggerating.)

TMX files by definition contain both the source and the target text, so it cannot be the case that Trados is expecting the source text but it is not there.

Another possibility is that your customer is expecting a TMX file containing formatting information. OmegaT outputs TMX files that either contain no formatting information (Level 1), or contain formatting information that Trados may not be able to interpret properly. If this information is taken into account, it may result in less than a 100% match. Just a hunch.

Your first move should certainly be to establish what text the customer is missing, and whether you actually translated it.

Marc
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can send me the TMX and the original file ... Nov 25, 2008

I've had a look at the source xml and xlf files as txt files and they seem to match what I've done in Omega T so I think it may be a problem at the client end.

... and I can check, what's happening in TRADOS.

regards

Vito

Lyle Translations
Lyle Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
cool Nov 25, 2008

Thank you Vito, that is very kind of you. I will send you one of the files.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
report by the embedded journalist Nov 25, 2008

Thank you Vito, that is very kind of you. I will send you one of the files.

It was a mixture of different factors.

i) Strike 1: Trados sees colon as a segment separation character and so could OmegaT, but did not.
ii) Strike 2: Somewhere on the way to me - via ProZ.Connect or possibly earlier on - TMX file turned to mangled 8bits :

Exemples d'études partielles : les systèmes barres de toit et crochet capot

as I very much doubt, that ProZ would add to the confusion (although the idea by itself is rather amusing), I would say, that somebody used Notepad one time too many.

iii) strike 3: 11 segments out of 15 segments could eventually be translated / found in TM. For the rest it's a split: there's several horrible segments with text drowning in tags and for the one last missing ("powered by" - in source! - watch you language, la grande nation!) I have no idea.

[Edited at 2008-11-25 19:03 GMT]

Lyle Translations
Lyle Translations
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
tags Nov 25, 2008

Thanks for looking at that. I'm not sure what to do about the tags as it's hard to say which are the ones that are causing the problem, other than just mention it to the client and ask them to produce a document without so many tags.

How could I convert the files to UT8, just open them in Notepad and save them as UT8?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Exporting TMX from Omegat to Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »