Using German Umlauts in OmegaT
Thread poster: Christiane Hinsch (X)
Christiane Hinsch (X)
Christiane Hinsch (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
English to German
Nov 18, 2008

Hello everybody, how do I insert German Umlaute in an OmegaT project? Do I insert them later, like in the translated document? Or is there no way it can be done? I am kind of lost here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Umlauts in OmegaT Nov 18, 2008

I had this same problem myself, and the answer is easy. Actually there are several choices.
If you insert the source text into the target file (either by default, or with shift+ctrl+i), you can delete whatever you don't need and leave the words with umlauts.
Or, you can highlight the word in the source segment (click on it), then right-click the mouse to cut and paste it into the target segment. DO NOT use the keyboard shortcut CtrlC/CtrlV -- the source segment can only be manipulate
... See more
I had this same problem myself, and the answer is easy. Actually there are several choices.
If you insert the source text into the target file (either by default, or with shift+ctrl+i), you can delete whatever you don't need and leave the words with umlauts.
Or, you can highlight the word in the source segment (click on it), then right-click the mouse to cut and paste it into the target segment. DO NOT use the keyboard shortcut CtrlC/CtrlV -- the source segment can only be manipulated with the mouse.

There are other ways, but these seem easiest to me. If you search on the OmegaT Yahoo group for my name and "umlauts," you will find many answers from the experts (to me they are more complicated, and I don't remember them).

Good luck,
Susan

p.s. - I just realized you re translating INTO German, unlike me. I would think that if you've got your language pairs set up properly from the start, you would get a German keyboard when you type the target text, and umlauts would be no problem. But I don't know that for sure. If you still have a problem, I'm sure someone more expert will answer you. (Note that there is now an OmegaT forum on ProZ.)

[Edited at 2008-11-18 02:59 GMT]
Collapse

Christiane Hinsch (X)
Christiane Hinsch (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
English to German
TOPIC STARTER

Thank you so much Susan, you guys are always so fast, it's such a pleasure

Anyway, I still have the same problem - the source code is in English - how do I set up OmegaT in order to be able to enter German Umlauts, or do I have to change my keyboard setting from English to German?

[Edited at 2008-11-18 04:09 GMT]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:06
German to English
+ ...
Using German Umlauts in OmegaT Nov 18, 2008

As Susan says, there are several ways of obtaining German characters in OmegaT, but if you are translating into German rather than just needing a particular character occasionally, the most practical way is to select German as your keyboard language. For example, in Windows XP:

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click Date, Time, Language and Regional Options.
Click Region and Language Options.
Click Languages then click Details.
In the Default input Lan
... See more
As Susan says, there are several ways of obtaining German characters in OmegaT, but if you are translating into German rather than just needing a particular character occasionally, the most practical way is to select German as your keyboard language. For example, in Windows XP:

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click Date, Time, Language and Regional Options.
Click Region and Language Options.
Click Languages then click Details.
In the Default input Language , select the language value desired for the keyboard.

Marc
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ich hab' kein Problem, Nov 18, 2008

when ich auf Deutch zu Russisch übersetze. Man muss entweder das Deutsche Layout, oder das US-International verwenden. OmegaT ist alles Unicode, d.h., OmegaT kann gar x-beliebige ABCs verwendern. Es ist nur um das Betriebssystem und Input-Mitteln abhängig.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Using German Umlauts in OmegaT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »