Problem: Creating Translation Memory with OmegaT
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:53
German to English
Nov 6, 2008

I am doing a De>En project today with no TM available. The project I alluded to yesterday came with a TM supplied by the client.

However, there are related ST and TT files stored on disk from previous projects. I take it that OmegaT will be no use to me with no TM available - copying TT files into the TM directory os pointless, right? So I have to do this job, save the TM and then work with it with future similar jobs?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-06 11:16]
... See more
I am doing a De>En project today with no TM available. The project I alluded to yesterday came with a TM supplied by the client.

However, there are related ST and TT files stored on disk from previous projects. I take it that OmegaT will be no use to me with no TM available - copying TT files into the TM directory os pointless, right? So I have to do this job, save the TM and then work with it with future similar jobs?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-11-06 11:16]

BTW have now downloaded Bitext2tmx, now I have to work out how to open the archive!

[Edited at 2008-11-06 18:22]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Three options Nov 6, 2008

Andy S wrote:

You can do three things, none of which are very satisfactory.

1. Align your old translations using one of the aligners listed on OmT's web site, or any other aligner (eg PlusTools). This takes long but is the most useful.

2. Put all these files of yours in a single folder, and use the reference search feature in OmegaT. This takes only a minute, but you need to do the searching manually.

3. Combined with #2: Create a dummy project with your SL files, then set your OmT settings to copy source to target and to add such segments to the TM, then run through all the segments, so that you at least have the SL text in one large TM. Put that TM in your TM folder. If you get matches from it, you'll know to do #2 above for that particular phrase.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Creating Translation Memory with OmegaT Nov 6, 2008

A couple of points to add to Samuel's good advice:

Manual alignment can be quite time-consuming and is generally only worthwhile for texts that are very similar (e.g. the TM relates to a previous version of the document you are now working on).

If you do decide to align manually, opt for paragraph-level rather than sentence-level segmentation in the aligner. This provides both more accurate alignment, and fewer segments overall to align.

As Samuel says, yo
... See more
A couple of points to add to Samuel's good advice:

Manual alignment can be quite time-consuming and is generally only worthwhile for texts that are very similar (e.g. the TM relates to a previous version of the document you are now working on).

If you do decide to align manually, opt for paragraph-level rather than sentence-level segmentation in the aligner. This provides both more accurate alignment, and fewer segments overall to align.

As Samuel says, you can search across legacy documents. Consider using a desktop indexing tool such as dtSearch (Windows) or Beagle (Linux) if you don't already have one - this is likely to be faster than OmegaT's integral file search facility, unless you strictly limit the scope of search.

Marc
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Clearing questions Nov 6, 2008

.... The project I alluded to yesterday came with a TM supplied by the client.... there are related ST and TT files stored on disk from previous projects. I take it that OmegaT will be no use to me with no TM available...

Is there any bilingual material available for the project? If there's a good chance for it, then the next question is "in what form" - for instance in what form is the TM "supplied by the client"? If it is Trados-based, I can help. If it is corresponding source and target files, Samuel gave you a good hint.

Regards

Vito

PS: the questions are generic, i.e. they have to be asked whatever the CAT tool used.

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No TM for this one Nov 6, 2008

Thanks for the help, gentlemen...there is no TM supplied by the client for this latest project -but a couple of of bilingual files from legacy translations of mine, pre-OmegaT.

I will try out the methods Samuel suggested and see how I get on.

With thanks

Andrew

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Open archive? Nov 8, 2008

What programme do I need to open the bitext2.tmx archive please?

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Open archive? Nov 8, 2008

I am not sure what you mean by "open the archive".

Bitext2tmx is a program that takes two files (a source text and its translation) and aligns their content. The files must be in plain-text format, so you must first convert your files to plain text if necessary. Bitext2tmx segments the two files and presents their content, segment by segment and side-by-side in a table in which you can correct any misalignment. After correcting the misalignment, you save the result, which Bitext2tmx
... See more
I am not sure what you mean by "open the archive".

Bitext2tmx is a program that takes two files (a source text and its translation) and aligns their content. The files must be in plain-text format, so you must first convert your files to plain text if necessary. Bitext2tmx segments the two files and presents their content, segment by segment and side-by-side in a table in which you can correct any misalignment. After correcting the misalignment, you save the result, which Bitext2tmx then outputs in the form of a .tmx file.

Marc
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't open it, Nov 9, 2008

but run as a regular Java program.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
The one matching the extension Nov 9, 2008

Andrew Stucken wrote:

What programme do I need to open the bitext2.tmx archive please?

On Sourceforge, bitext2tmx comes with a number of extensions. You need a compatible archive manager.

If you downloaded bitext2tmx-1.0M0-080229.7z, for instance, you can use 7-Zip

Didier

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 10, 2008

Thanks guys

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Problem: Creating Translation Memory with OmegaT

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »