Kateřina Suchánková  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:48
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 14, 2008

Hello,

I use the OmegaT-1.7.3_4 and I need to set my user ID there and I don't know how to do this at all. It is a requirement of a customer of mine. I send them the TM as a .tmx file and they then import it into their TM, together with the other translators' TMs. And after this import they want to be able to identify the separate segments of the file, it means who translated which segment. Can anyone help please?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hack it Oct 14, 2008

Kateřina Suchánková wrote:
I use the OmegaT-1.7.3_4 and I need to set my user ID there and I don't know how to do this at all. It is a requirement of a customer of mine.

No, OmegaT does not support this feature yet. However, it is easily added to the TMX file afterwards, using simple find/replace. How to do it:

1. Open the TMX file in a Unicode-able text editor (for Windows, I use Babelpad).

2. Now do find/replace as follows:

Find: <tu>
Replace with: <tu creationid="YourNameHere">
(and replace all)

3. Save as UTF-8.

The TMX specifiation says that creationid is optional and can be found in <header>, in <tu> and in <tuv>. The specs don't say whether creationid should be present in all three if they are present at all, but I doubt it because in a Wordfast generated TMX they are absent from <tuv>.

Send the client a short hacked TM so they can test if your TMX file complies with their system.

[Edited at 2008-10-14 15:13]

Kateřina Suchánková
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel Oct 14, 2008

Thank you for your answer. But it seems quite difficult for me to do. As regards PCs, I am quite "stupid" and can only do the more simple things.. It looks like that I am going to loose a regular customer...

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Time to learn Oct 14, 2008

Thank you for your answer. But it seems quite difficult for me to do. As regards PCs, I am quite "stupid" and can only do the more simple things.. It looks like that I am going to loose a regular customer...

In this Industry, these days, Katerina, a certain level of technical skills is pretty well a MUST in order to become truly successful.
I suggest you make some time to begin learning more about how to use the technological resources that are now an integral part of our work.
These forums, as well as other professional lists and forums, are great resources for such matters.

Good luck.

Kateřina Suchánková
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 14, 2008

I want to thank everybody for help. In the end I managed to do it as Sam suggested, with the help of someone else I have found Babelpad. I have sent the file to the client and will see what they will say.

As regards Tony's remark - well, you are right I need to learn a lot. But it's quite difficult if you a) don't have time (it's not an excuse but after translating for 10-14 hours a day I feel dead tired) and b) I would need someone to explain me the things and c) I am completely s
... See more
I want to thank everybody for help. In the end I managed to do it as Sam suggested, with the help of someone else I have found Babelpad. I have sent the file to the client and will see what they will say.

As regards Tony's remark - well, you are right I need to learn a lot. But it's quite difficult if you a) don't have time (it's not an excuse but after translating for 10-14 hours a day I feel dead tired) and b) I would need someone to explain me the things and c) I am completely stupid in technical matters.
Collapse

Maynard Hogg
Maynard Hogg  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:48
Japanese to English
<header ... creationid="YourName"> Oct 14, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
The TMX specifiation says that creationid is optional and can be found in <header>, in <tu> and in <tuv>.

http://xml.coverpages.org/tmxSpec971212.html#elements

Laboriously inserting it in every TU seems so MS Word when once in the header should suffice. (Trados may have other ideas.)

Pardon my "write once, #include everywhere else" programmer-like thinking. R&D

Maynard Hogg
Maynard Hogg  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:48
Japanese to English
Update to OmegaT 1.8 Oct 14, 2008

I use the OmegaT-1.7.3_4

You can install both during the transition, if you wish. That's what I did way back when, but I never went back. (Oops! Version 1.7.3 is still occupying space on my hard disk.)

The big change is the spelling checker (using dictionaries from OpenOffice's ooo folder)

The only drawback is the lack of documentation, but, if you're already using OmegaT for paying work, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Just join the OmegaT ML at Yahoo Groups. It's full of helpful people.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Unless... Oct 14, 2008

Maynard Hogg wrote:
http://xml.coverpages.org/tmxSpec971212.html#elements
Laboriously inserting it in every TU seems so MS Word when once in the header should suffice.

If the entire TMX file was created by one user, yes certainly. And if the tool that reads the TMX file is able to deduce that if the header contains a creationid and none of the TUs contain one, that all TUs relate to that one creationid, then yes, certainly, you have a point.

And the TMX specification doesn't specify how a tool should react to cases where the ID is present in one place but absent in another, so you as user can't always assume that your client's tool will interpret the file as you think it logically should. For example, the specs don't say whether two creationids may occur in the same element, and how a tool should react to such a scenario. There are no guidelines for stacking or nesting creationid contents either.

Pardon my "write once, #include everywhere else" programmer-like thinking. R&D

This may be why the PO format is incapable of storing the author information of individual segments and assumes that it suffices to mention all contributors in the header of the file, thereby losing any per-translator quality control functionality.

[Edited at 2008-10-14 20:29]

Kateřina Suchánková
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 14, 2008

Thank you for your advice, when I decided to install OmegaT, the first version I found was the one I use.

quote]Maynard Hogg wrote:

I use the OmegaT-1.7.3_4

You can install both during the transition, if you wish. That's what I did way back when, but I never went back. (Oops! Version 1.7.3 is still occupying space on my hard disk.)

The big change is the spelling checker (using dictionaries from OpenOffice's ooo folder)

The only drawback is the lack of documentation, but, if you're already using OmegaT for paying work, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Just join the OmegaT ML at Yahoo Groups. It's full of helpful people. [/quote]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
And unless... Oct 14, 2008

Maynard Hogg wrote:
I use the OmegaT-1.7.3_4

Update to OmegaT 1.8. You can install both during the transition, if you wish.

Although, unless I'm mistaken, both versions will use the same user settings.

Kateřina Suchánková
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 28, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

I use the OmegaT-1.7.3_4 and I need to set my user ID there and I don't know how to do this at all. It is a requirement of a customer of mine.

No, OmegaT does not support this feature yet. However, it is easily added to the TMX file afterwards, using simple find/replace. How to do it:

1. Open the TMX file in a Unicode-able text editor (for Windows, I use Babelpad).

2. Now do find/replace as follows:

Find:
Replace with:
(and replace all)

3. Save as UTF-8.

The TMX specifiation says that creationid is optional and can be found in , in and in . The specs don't say whether creationid should be present in all three if they are present at all, but I doubt it because in a Wordfast generated TMX they are absent from .

Send the client a short hacked TM so they can test if your TMX file complies with their system.

Thank you very much, your advice was very helpful. I did it exactly as you wrote and it worked.:) The company imported the file and it was with my ID!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT - setting an user ID

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »