MS OFFICE 365 unlicenced version, although I recently purchased my annual subscription!
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:54
Member (2006)
French to English
Oct 17, 2019

Hello, I have Windows 10 with MS Office 365, it was all working fine til about a week ago, Office 365 does not appear to recognise that I have renewed my subscription, I've tried everything repair, then reinstall, checking that I don't have a 2nd version of MS Office (I did have 2 versions, so deleted one), it says "activate" when I open Word, but as well as my MSOffice username & password it asks for a 4-digit pin code which I cannot recall, it says go to Settings, Account, login, but I cannot ... See more
Hello, I have Windows 10 with MS Office 365, it was all working fine til about a week ago, Office 365 does not appear to recognise that I have renewed my subscription, I've tried everything repair, then reinstall, checking that I don't have a 2nd version of MS Office (I did have 2 versions, so deleted one), it says "activate" when I open Word, but as well as my MSOffice username & password it asks for a 4-digit pin code which I cannot recall, it says go to Settings, Account, login, but I cannot find the Settings in MSOffice to find this code, (it says I have to use Windows Hello to complete the process, then asks me for this code) so I am stuck, with the unlicenced version which I cannot edit, as a translator this is very frustrating! I have OpenOffice but it's not as good, IMO. I've tried to find a solution online including MS Office Support, to no avail!
Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.
Collapse

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
MS Office 365 license issues Oct 17, 2019

Hi Jenny,

Have you tried the various suggestions on

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/unlicensed-product-and-activation-errors-in-office-0d23d3c0-c19c-4b2f-9845-5344fedc4380 ?

It could be helpful.

/ Michael

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Windows settings instead of MS Office settings? Oct 17, 2019

Jenny Duthie wrote:

it says go to Settings, Account, login, but I cannot find the Settings in MSOffice to find this code, (it says I have to use Windows Hello to complete the process, then asks me for this code)

I assume the Windows settings are meant, not the MSOffice settings, and the "code" is the Windows Hello PIN. You can remove this PIN:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6518-remove-pin-your-account-windows-10-a.html

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
And what is not good? Oct 17, 2019

Jenny Duthie wrote:

I have OpenOffice but it's not as good, IMO.

Do you mean Apache OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org? And what is not as good? Perhaps, at least as an interim solution, you should try LibreOffice. It features significantly better compatibility with Microsoft Office as AOO or OOo.

Iris Schmerda

Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
MANY THANKS I FOUND A SOLUTION Oct 17, 2019

in fact my PC administrator email needed to be changed, it seemed to be a compatibility issue as my PC & Windows were in someone else's name

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
OpenOffice.org is now LibreOffice Oct 18, 2019

As a remainder: OpenOffice.org is actually LibreOffice nowadays.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Inaccurate Oct 19, 2019

Peter Motte wrote:

As a remainder: OpenOffice.org is actually LibreOffice nowadays.

Your information is not totally accurate. OOo is continued at least in two branches: LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. Both can be installed and used in the same environment. There is also NeoOffice for MacOS, but I am not sure that it is still in active development.

DZiW (X)

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
idea Oct 20, 2019

Jenny Duthie wrote:

Hello, I have Windows 10 with MS Office 365, it was all working fine til about a week ago, Office 365 does not appear to recognise that I have renewed my subscription, I've tried everything repair, then reinstall, checking that I don't have a 2nd version of MS Office (I did have 2 versions, so deleted one), it says "activate" when I open Word, but as well as my MSOffice username & password it asks for a 4-digit pin code which I cannot recall, it says go to Settings, Account, login, but I cannot find the Settings in MSOffice to find this code, (it says I have to use Windows Hello to complete the process, then asks me for this code) so I am stuck, with the unlicenced version which I cannot edit, as a translator this is very frustrating! I have OpenOffice but it's not as good, IMO. I've tried to find a solution online including MS Office Support, to no avail!
Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Just an idea.
Choose a monthly subscription, you pay once per month for one month of use and choose the automatic banking transfer.
Fast, easy, no need to be worried about renewal (renewed automatically each month).
I gave a try two years ago and I am very satisfied.

[Edited at 2019-10-20 14:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS OFFICE 365 unlicenced version, although I recently purchased my annual subscription!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »