Italy
Local time: 08:15
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 30, 2018

In MS Word I have a (justified) paragraph that looks like this:

Untitled-1

Percent signs hanging out of the right paragraph margin, and the same thing occurs with parentheses, brackets, full stops, quotes...

Huh? Is this an option? Can you select/deselect it?

hamzakhanhkeo

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
No option but a fault? Jul 30, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Is this an option? Can you select/deselect it?

As there is no object of it, it's no option but a fault I think.

Did you type that example or is it a file from a client? Clients often deliver files that were converted from or generated by Word 1995 or AstrangeSoftware Vx.x.

Try a different font. Replace the % by an %.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Daniel Jul 30, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:
Huh? Is this an option? Can you select/deselect it?

I'm not quite sure what it is that you want or do not want.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Show all characters Jul 30, 2018

Hello,

Could you show us the same text with all hidden chars? Could be an explanation there (hope so...).

Kind regards

MS Word 2

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Justified Text Jul 30, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not quite sure what it is that you want or do not want.

He doesn't want the % symbols hanging off the side.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:15
English to Russian
Try hanging punctuation Jul 30, 2018

Try Home tab => Paragraph => Asian Typography => Uncheck the 'Allow hanging punctuation' box.
Also try this: File => Options => Advanced => Compatibility options for => select the version of MS Word then search for and fiddle with the options relating to 'hanging punctuation'.
Just wild guess...

[Edited at 2018-07-30 10:21 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
% Jul 30, 2018

You wouldn't want the % jumping to the next line, would you? This is MS Word being intelligent. It would be incorrect and possibly misleading to write something like 20
% and then carry on with more percentages, such as 17
% and so on.

I can only suggest that you fiddle with the ruler, or artfully reword your translation in such a way that all the numbers, with their % characters, jump to the next line.

[Edited at 2018-07-30 10:33 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:15
English to Russian
With normal behavior, Jul 30, 2018

% would neither jump alone nor hang on the margin. If there is enough room for '20%', all symbols will remain at the end of the line. If there is no place for all symbols, they would jump to the next line (all three symbols).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_punctuation

MollyRose

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
A mistake is a mistake is a mistake Jul 30, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

You wouldn't want the % jumping to the next line, would you? This is MS Word being intelligent. It would be incorrect and possibly misleading to write something like 20
% and so on.

I disagree. it's not intelligent but a serious typesetting mistake to violate a set column border under whatever circumstances. Of course the line break can&must be automatically inserted before the number.

FWIW, my German Word 2016 (Windows version) doesn't show this effect in Englisch and German formatted texts.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jul 30, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Try Home tab => Paragraph => Asian Typography => Uncheck the 'Allow hanging punctuation' box.
Also try this: File => Options => Advanced => Compatibility options for => select the version of MS Word then search for and fiddle with the options relating to 'hanging punctuation'.
Just wild guess...

Selecting [File > Options > Advanced > Compatibility options for > Use Word 2003 hanging-punctuation rules] did the job (solution A).

Solution B is [File > Info > Compatibility mode > Convert > OK], which gives a slightly different result. (This is Office 2016, by the way.)

Top to bottom: original, solution A, solution B:

Untitled-1

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One solution I have seen (and hate) Jul 30, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Aah, okay. One solution that I have seen in texts by other translators is to add a non-breaking space after *every* number and punctuation mark. You can write a little macro to do that at the end of your translation.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stretchable non-breaking space? Jul 30, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

One solution that I have seen in texts by other translators is to add a non-breaking space after *every* number and punctuation mark.

The problem with non-breaking spaces is that they don't stretch in justified paragraphs. In most documents this isn't an issue, since you can hardly spot the difference between a stretched and a non-stretched space.

It becomes an issue with the ugly huge-margin Courier New format that is widely used for patents. Like this:

Untitled-1

Lines 1-4 each have a non-breaking space, after numerals in lines 1, 3, 4, and (less noticeably) after the full stop in line 2. Doesn't look good.

Since we're at it, is there a way to make stretchable non-breaking spaces in MS Word?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Actually Jul 30, 2018

Rolf Keller wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

% and so on.

I disagree. it's not intelligent but a serious typesetting mistake to violate a set column border under whatever circumstances. Of course the line break can&must be automatically inserted before the number.

FWIW, my German Word 2016 (Windows version) doesn't show this effect in Englisch and German formatted texts.

Actually you're agreeing !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hanging stuff in MS Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »