Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Off topic: What is the name of your feline assistant?
Thread poster: Yolanda Bello Olvera
Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
English to Italian
canine here Jul 13, 2007

Unfortunately I don't have a cat, I'd love to have one, but we already have a dog (a pretty big Golden Retriever), the house is small, yada yada yada.

Anyhow, his name is Captain Tony. The name was taken from Jimmy Buffett's song "Last Mango in Paris". We all call him Tony, though.

He's really my assistant: he helps me with the laundry (picking up the dirty socks from the floor and taking them to the hamper), the trash (taking little plastic bags containing the office
... See more
Unfortunately I don't have a cat, I'd love to have one, but we already have a dog (a pretty big Golden Retriever), the house is small, yada yada yada.

Anyhow, his name is Captain Tony. The name was taken from Jimmy Buffett's song "Last Mango in Paris". We all call him Tony, though.

He's really my assistant: he helps me with the laundry (picking up the dirty socks from the floor and taking them to the hamper), the trash (taking little plastic bags containing the office waste paper to the trash bin outside), the recycling (taking out the cardboard boxes) and the mail (taking the useless ads you get every day in the mail).

After each chore he gets a cookie. Needless to say, he's more than willing to help me whenever he can....
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Widget Jul 13, 2007

My darling, much-travelled 12-year-old tabby-and-white long-hair. And he's asleep, belly up, lying on top of my work diary as I type... I shall have to move him soon!

My 2nd Assistant is Tindaro (aged 13, black long-hair with white whiskers and yellow eyes), but he tends to sit on my chair (when I'm not in it) rather than on the desk.

[Edited at 2007-07-13 08:39]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
We're lazy... Jul 13, 2007

We named our cat Maya, but we pretty much always call her "poes" (Dutch for "female cat") "Poes, come here, poes, don't do that..."

We also have a rabbit and you've guessed it, we're just calling him "konijn" (Dutch for rabbit)

Makes me wonder how we'll call our kids

Monique Laville
Monique Laville  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
Minou and Lilli Jul 13, 2007

Minou is a 12 years tabby cat (soriano) who was given to me by Debbie, my american friend. She is quite wild (the cat!)and I am the only person who can take her in her arms. She used to sleep peacefully by my side on a couch until another cat invaded the house. This is Lilli, a tabby cat too, a 4 months cat brought by my daughter last month. The old cat is very upset, disappeared for three days then came back but stays out of the house trying to avoid the young one assaults.
I try to keep
... See more
Minou is a 12 years tabby cat (soriano) who was given to me by Debbie, my american friend. She is quite wild (the cat!)and I am the only person who can take her in her arms. She used to sleep peacefully by my side on a couch until another cat invaded the house. This is Lilli, a tabby cat too, a 4 months cat brought by my daughter last month. The old cat is very upset, disappeared for three days then came back but stays out of the house trying to avoid the young one assaults.
I try to keep Lilly out of my working place, she is really too intrusive, wants to come on my knees and play with the keyboard.

I have a black and white dog and also used to have two white gooses who where the real guardians of the house. I was sure noone would enter. My neigbours were frightened because the male would go on the road behind the house and sometimes prevent them to go out from their car or pass by foot by the house. After two persons have been bited, and other ones complained for the noise they made, I had to give them away.
Collapse

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
lazy names - Matou and and Me-too Jul 13, 2007

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

We named our cat Maya, but we pretty much always call her "poes" (Dutch for "female cat") "Poes, come here, poes, don't do that..."

We also have a rabbit and you've guessed it, we're just calling him "konijn" (Dutch for rabbit)

Makes me wonder how we'll call our kids

Same here Marie-Claude!
Our tomcat's name is Matou (French for... yup, you guessed it, tomcat). His sister's name is Me-too because they're always together, either curled up in one big ball or swatting at each other's noses.

Mette Stroander
Mette Stroander  Identity Verified
Danish to Italian
+ ...
Nusse & Basse Jul 13, 2007

... and Minu and Blondie))

Nussebasse was a "nickname" my mother and I were using between us... so when I received these two cuddly grey cats I could not resist..
Minu is a gypsy-cat ... she only comes home if she needs to be "repaired" (broken legs, aso)...
And Blondie...) guess what! she is blond!

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
One canine "companion"... Jul 13, 2007

Fausto, a 3-year-old beagle. (By definition, a beagle will never be an assistant... on the contrary )

His aliases:

Positive: "Cachorrito", "Puchuschús" &"Perrito Nunú"
Negative: "Delete", "Nefausto" & "Perrotudo"....
See more
Fausto, a 3-year-old beagle. (By definition, a beagle will never be an assistant... on the contrary )

His aliases:

Positive: "Cachorrito", "Puchuschús" &"Perrito Nunú"
Negative: "Delete", "Nefausto" & "Perrotudo".

Au

[Edited at 2007-07-13 08:05]
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:39
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Ive a boss Jul 13, 2007

Ive a feline boss instead of a feline assisstant.:D He is orange and his name is Mandarino aka Manda-Manda.:)

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:39
French to English
+ ...
Poppy and Sally Jul 13, 2007

My two faithful canine assistants are Poppy and Sally. Sally is nearly 12 and a typical shaggy dog - she's a labrador cross collie with a lot of bearded collie thrown in - a grey fluffball! Poppy is a 2 year-old Springer collie cross, acquired to liven Sally up in her old age - a very successful ploy!

They both have day beds in my study and keep me company as I work, reminding me every so often that it's time for a walk - exercise for us all and a break for me! I'm sure I'd never go
... See more
My two faithful canine assistants are Poppy and Sally. Sally is nearly 12 and a typical shaggy dog - she's a labrador cross collie with a lot of bearded collie thrown in - a grey fluffball! Poppy is a 2 year-old Springer collie cross, acquired to liven Sally up in her old age - a very successful ploy!

They both have day beds in my study and keep me company as I work, reminding me every so often that it's time for a walk - exercise for us all and a break for me! I'm sure I'd never go out otherwise.....

We used to have a beautiful tabby cat, Sophie, but she died at the grand old age of 17, shortly before we were to due to undertake the long journey from Scotland to the South of England four years ago - I'm sure she wouldn't have coped with the journey in any event. She used to like to sit on my keyboard, which wasn't too helpful in an assistant!

Sally (Wolf)

[Edited at 2007-07-13 08:26]

poppy close up

[Edited at 2007-07-13 08:27]

[Edited at 2007-07-13 08:28]
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pet names by another 2 year old Jul 13, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

Tatu = Gato

Spanish for Cat, spoken by a 2 year old.

That's good, Henry. My cat's name is "Vilma", and my bilingual 2 years old decided, the other way round, that ALL CATS will be called "Imma" from now on.

So, according to his dictionary:

Gat / Gato / Cat (catalan, spanish, english) = Imma

We also have 4 dogs, named Aiko, Pebbles, Frisbee and Pipper, so that, according to the 2 years-old problem-solving manual:

- Any "annoying, fidgety big dog with a long tail" (Perro / Gos / Dog) = "Aiko"

- Any other one = "Ípe"

(this way he almost matches the other 3 names!!)

Ruth @ MW

Audrey Fermon-Terraza (X)
Audrey Fermon-Terraza (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Tiramisu Jul 13, 2007

A lovely half-Siamese, same colours as the dessert... Always on my shoulders or sitting in a strange position:

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Tail - British Blue, Pippin - Golden Retriever Jul 13, 2007

Tail is a British Shorthair born with a tail fault (a third of his tail is missing), hence the name. He's 3 years old but still thinks he's a kitten and does not care much about the girls. Affectionately called Tele (calf in Serbian).

Pippin is a 7yr old Golden Retriever bitch and a subject of Tail's love, adoration and numerous head butts. She's probably the only reason I get out of the house when working on a project... See more
Tail is a British Shorthair born with a tail fault (a third of his tail is missing), hence the name. He's 3 years old but still thinks he's a kitten and does not care much about the girls. Affectionately called Tele (calf in Serbian).

Pippin is a 7yr old Golden Retriever bitch and a subject of Tail's love, adoration and numerous head butts. She's probably the only reason I get out of the house when working on a project.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
CAT Jul 13, 2007

I have a CAT called Trados. I used to have one called Déjà Vu - a bad CAT, a mean CAT, a real bad mean CAT, and I got sick of the sight of it.

Mervyn

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
LOL !!! Jul 13, 2007

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I have a CAT called Trados. I used to have one called Déjà Vu - a bad CAT, a mean CAT, a real bad mean CAT, and I got sick of the sight of it.

Mervyn

My cat is called Khayman, from the Anne Rice books (we used to have another cat, Lestat, but alas he was not immortal ...)

Ana Alves
Ana Alves
Local time: 10:39
English to Portuguese
my cat - Ajax Jul 13, 2007

I have a cat with bad temper called Ajax. We were deciding a name for the cat (I wanted a name, my boyfriend wanted another) and one day we arrived home and my boyfriend said, out of the blue, "come here, Ajax!". I said that Ajax was a good name and that was it.

The problem is that in Portugal Ajax is a brand of detergent... so whenever I say the name of the cat, everybody ask me "And where's Sonasol?" (another brand of Portuguese detergent...) or "Where's PSV Eindhoven?"...
See more
I have a cat with bad temper called Ajax. We were deciding a name for the cat (I wanted a name, my boyfriend wanted another) and one day we arrived home and my boyfriend said, out of the blue, "come here, Ajax!". I said that Ajax was a good name and that was it.

The problem is that in Portugal Ajax is a brand of detergent... so whenever I say the name of the cat, everybody ask me "And where's Sonasol?" (another brand of Portuguese detergent...) or "Where's PSV Eindhoven?"

Ana
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the name of your feline assistant?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »