Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What kind of music do you like?
Thread poster: EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
English to French
+ ...
May 17, 2007

Do you listen to any music when you are translating? What music do you like? Favourite singer/band etc.? Please share! I wanted to post this as a quick poll but realised it did not work without the Proz membership.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
None May 17, 2007

Not while translating because it requires total concentration.

EmmanuelleAn (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree May 17, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

Not while translating because it requires total concentration.

Yes I agree with you. I'm the same. I wish I could translate and listen to music at the same time. Still, I have met some translators who can concentrate without any problems.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to Italian
ditto with Henry May 17, 2007

When I translate I don't listen to any music, I need silence, or I can't concentrate.

When I am not translating I listen to a LOT of music, though.

Right now I am TOTALLY addicted by Keane, I listen to them whenever I can on my iPod. I have discovered them just a few weeks ago, watching Blake Lewis from American Idol singing "Somewhere only we know" and as I liked the song a lot, I donwloaded it together with most of their songs.
Two of their best songs are "Un
... See more
When I translate I don't listen to any music, I need silence, or I can't concentrate.

Right now I am TOTALLY addicted by Keane, I listen to them whenever I can on my iPod. I have discovered them just a few weeks ago, watching Blake Lewis from American Idol singing "Somewhere only we know" and as I liked the song a lot, I donwloaded it together with most of their songs.
Two of their best songs are "Under the Walnut Tree" and "Try again" (if you search Keane on Youtube.com you'll be able to listen to their music).

I also listen to Eagles, Police, Sting, Cure, Corrs (I saw them live a couple of years ago near San Jose, CA. Great band!), Loreena McKennitt and various 70s-80s music.
Collapse

EmmanuelleAn (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I like.. May 17, 2007

I listen to a LOT of music when I'm not translating and go to a lot of concerts. I have just seen the Young Gods live (not so famous Swiss band. If you like industrial rock, check out their website). It was awesome! At the moment I am really addicted to Arcade Fire (Canadian band)'s latest album and can't stop listening to Dionysos (French band) 'album, "Monsters in Love". The lyrics sound like a Tim Burton fairy tale.

EmmanuelleAn (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keane May 17, 2007

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

Two of their best songs are "Under the Walnut Tree" and "Try again" (if you search Keane on Youtube.com you'll be able to listen to their music).

I also listen to Eagles, Police, Sting, Cure, Corrs (I saw them live a couple of years ago near San Jose, CA. Great band!), Loreena McKennitt and various 70s-80s music.

"Somewhere Only We Know" is such a beautiful song

EmmanuelleAn (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MP3 May 17, 2007

Better question: what do you have on your Ipod/MP3?

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Heavy metal / classical music May 17, 2007

I think I trained myself to simultaneously listen to music and work since I was a kid, so I'm used to it. I'll be either cranking heavy metal (everything from Guns n' Roses to Death!) or listening to all sorts of "classical" music (everything from Machaut up to Bártok and some more modern stuff). Interestingly enough, however, I cannot proofread while listening to music. Ever since I was a kid, I made a point of not listening to anything while I'm reading, so I'm pretty sure that this is a t... See more
I think I trained myself to simultaneously listen to music and work since I was a kid, so I'm used to it. I'll be either cranking heavy metal (everything from Guns n' Roses to Death!) or listening to all sorts of "classical" music (everything from Machaut up to Bártok and some more modern stuff). Interestingly enough, however, I cannot proofread while listening to music. Ever since I was a kid, I made a point of not listening to anything while I'm reading, so I'm pretty sure that this is a training thing (I listened to music even while solving electromagnetic field and modern physics homework, so I'm pretty sure that I can concentrate 100% while listening!).

On another note, I don't have an iPod. I like my quiet time when not at home and I prefer reading if I'm waiting at an airport or something like that (sorry!).
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sure. May 18, 2007

1) Basque Radical Rock
2) Classical
3) Latinamerican indigenous and Arab music: flutes, drums and khenas.

Not loud, of course.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
1200 and + songs May 18, 2007

On my iPod (actually I should say my husband's iPod, but we share it democratically) there are at the moment about 1200 songs. The most part they're my hubby's favorites (the Who, the Beatles, Jimmy Buffett, Paul McCartney and many others), but I have my little selection of about 200 songs which include the names mentioned before, plus others like U2 (which I love very much, especially their earlier music prior to Zooropa), Madreblu, Steven Booker, Fleetwood Mac, Toto, America, Blue Oyster Cult... See more
On my iPod (actually I should say my husband's iPod, but we share it democratically) there are at the moment about 1200 songs. The most part they're my hubby's favorites (the Who, the Beatles, Jimmy Buffett, Paul McCartney and many others), but I have my little selection of about 200 songs which include the names mentioned before, plus others like U2 (which I love very much, especially their earlier music prior to Zooropa), Madreblu, Steven Booker, Fleetwood Mac, Toto, America, Blue Oyster Cult, Elton John, etc... (too many to list them all).Collapse

Almir Comor MITI
Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
classical vs heavy metal May 18, 2007

A nice question....

When translating some difficult stuff, either Handel or Bach.

When facing a very tight deadline and a fairly straighforward source text, Iron Maiden really helps type fast...

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Listening in May 18, 2007

I generally cannot listen and translate at the same time, because when I listen, I listen.

If the job is easy, or if I am "just" proofreading or going over some text, I may tune in to any of a number of ambient streaming stations, such as SOMA FM Drone Zone or Ambience for the Masses (shameless plugs, but these are my favourites).

Otherwise, most of my CD sh
... See more
I generally cannot listen and translate at the same time, because when I listen, I listen.

If the job is easy, or if I am "just" proofreading or going over some text, I may tune in to any of a number of ambient streaming stations, such as SOMA FM Drone Zone or Ambience for the Masses (shameless plugs, but these are my favourites).

Otherwise, most of my CD shelf space is classical music, with occasional detours to traditional jazz and rock.

I decided not to buy an mp3 player for a number of reasons. My walkman days are over. I guess I'm trying to save my hearing for later...

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

off-topic ranty post scriptum: with the onset (onslaught) of MP3, I notice how listening has shifted from albums to songs. I have always considered albums as entities and could never listen to songs outside of their album context. With an album converted to MP3, you always get a little interruption between titles and if a song segues into the next (never mind classical music), that really irks me.

P.A.S.

[Edited at 2007-05-18 08:07]
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
My choice May 18, 2007

I have some very big favourites at the moment. I usually listen to music while translating, but not while proofreading or doing the final re-read of my translation. Then absolute silence is needed.

Here a selection:

My absolute favourite: Tori Amos
Then: Norah Jones, Alanis Morisette, Nina Simone, Damien Rice, Rufus Wainwright, Sinead O'Connor, Françoise Hardy, Jeff Buckley...
Oh and the recently discovered Gotan Project - fantastic stuff.
And Arabic
... See more
I have some very big favourites at the moment. I usually listen to music while translating, but not while proofreading or doing the final re-read of my translation. Then absolute silence is needed.

Here a selection:

My absolute favourite: Tori Amos
Then: Norah Jones, Alanis Morisette, Nina Simone, Damien Rice, Rufus Wainwright, Sinead O'Connor, Françoise Hardy, Jeff Buckley...
Oh and the recently discovered Gotan Project - fantastic stuff.
And Arabic music: The great Lebanese singer Fayrouz.
And yesterday I just heard a lovely song by a certain Regina Spektor, called "Samson".

And classical Brazilian Bossa Nova: Chico Buarque, Caetano Veloso, Maria Betania, Elis Regina...

And... that's enough for now.

(All these can be checked out on Youtube if you're curious)

[Edited at 2007-05-18 10:01]
Collapse

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Depends on the language... May 18, 2007

Johnny Cash or Joy Division for Dutch..

The Smiths or The Cure for French..

EmmanuelleAn (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Joy Division... May 18, 2007

Jon O wrote:

Johnny Cash or Joy Division for Dutch..

The Smiths or The Cure for French..

I love Johnny Cash, especially his cover songs album. The Nine Inch Nails cover is the best I have ever heard so far. Why Joy Division for Dutch? Does it help you get in the mood to translate from that language? I'd never thought Dutch could be a "depressing" language...

[Edited at 2007-05-18 10:11]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What kind of music do you like?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »