Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Off topic: Which country/city/village would you like to move to?
Thread poster: Seadeta Osmani
Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:52
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends Mar 21, 2006

The totally impractical part of me would go to Sevilla, Spain any moment.
If I let in a bit of common sense, it tells me I've always loved the view of mountains and rolling hills just outside my 8th-floor window and would miss it desperately - but hell, why are they still covered in deep snow???

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 03:52
English to Spanish
Stars Hollow, Connecticut, USA Mar 21, 2006

This is a quaint, bucolic little town in Connecticut. No crime, no mean people. Close to the mountains, Manhattan and the sea.

Alas, it does not exist in reality. Only in "Gilmore Girls", the TV show.

In the real life, my favorite place in the world is Manhattan. But upstate NY would do, say, two hours away from Grand Central Station.

[Edited at 2006-03-21 22:01]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:52
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
To wherever Mar 21, 2006

where there are no winters and Polar Night for half a year annualy...

Uldis, getting old and frail

laura castori
laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
6 months Sardinia, 6 months Usa Mar 24, 2006

I'm just waiting for Ryan Air to start flying to USA!!! lol I'd say summer in Sardinia (Italy) and winter somewhere in USA, maybe down South, I just love that countryside in Bama and Georgia

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:52
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
6 months Sardinia, 6 months Brazil Mar 24, 2006

Why bother with winter?

I'd say summer in Sardinia (Italy) where I live now, and 6 months in Brazil, summer again...

bye
Gianfranco

laura castori
laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
lol Mar 24, 2006

that's makes two of us Gianfranco! Macomer here

cali mero
cali mero
Italian to English
6 months Sicily and 6 months Australia Mar 28, 2006

6 months a year in Sicily where my love lives and 6 months around the world...but it's just a dream...

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Greek Islands / Kappadokia (Turkey) Apr 15, 2006

Any of the Cyclades, a house perched on the rocks above the beach... especially, Santorini...

Or in Kappadokia, Turkey, in one of the cave-houses...

Dream on, Nadia, on this beautiful, sunny, Saturday morning in the center of Athens...

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
Go figure... Jan 13, 2009

Haluk Aka wrote:

http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/default.asp?action=category&ID=10&order=rank&sort=asc&limit=0

They have a point henning and land also includes 10 yr marina perth. My only concern would be hi-speed internet. Sighhh...

Now back to reality. I have stuff to deliver

After almost 3 years, finally, -maybe, keep fingers crossed, I will get lucky! http://www.islandreefjob.com/

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 01:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil... Jan 16, 2009

I'll even take what they call "winter" there... (Given that I spent the first 25 years of my life in Siberia, it make me laugh!)

What's holding me in California, then? Three daughters and eight cats.... sigh...

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Curitiba, Brazil Jan 18, 2009

If I could choose anywhere to live and work, I would definitely choose the city of Curitiba in Paraná State, 400 km South of São Paulo and 800 km South of Rio de Janeiro.

There are several reasons for this. Curitiba is a city of just the right size (some 1.5 million souls), big enough to have most services but small enough to avoid the problems of São Paulo and Rio. People call Curitiba "The Smiling City" ("Cidade Sorriso") and it is easy to see why. It is a city with one of the
... See more
If I could choose anywhere to live and work, I would definitely choose the city of Curitiba in Paraná State, 400 km South of São Paulo and 800 km South of Rio de Janeiro.

There are several reasons for this. Curitiba is a city of just the right size (some 1.5 million souls), big enough to have most services but small enough to avoid the problems of São Paulo and Rio. People call Curitiba "The Smiling City" ("Cidade Sorriso") and it is easy to see why. It is a city with one of the highest number of green areas and parks in the world, and in the outskirts it is still like a sleepy village in some places, and the bicycle is often used as transport - you can even cross the city on cyclepaths. It is an ecological city, home to the "Open University of the Environment", and carefully planned, with a special area being devoted to industrial activities.

Another plus point is the wonderful food, undoubtedly a heritage from the city's high Italian immigrant population. The pasta is out of this world, and you can go to Madalosso and have "rodízio de massas" where the waiters bring round a succession of succulent pasta dishes until you burst - washed down with house wine. If pasta is not your cup of tea, there are steak houses serving a range of juicy cuts of beef and other meats.

The climate is much cooler than most of the country, this being because at 900 metres above sea level it is one of the country's highest capital cities.

Curitiba lies in the Brazilian South, a region which has a lot to offer in terms of sightseeing: the German and Italian immigrant area in Santa Catarina where cities bear names like Schroeder and Dreizehnlinden (actually Treze Tílias but often referred to by its German name); breathtaking beaches in Paraná and also in Santa Catarina; the Iguaçu Falls (about 10 hours away by bus) and Gaucho country with wide expanses of farmland all the way to the border with Uruguay. The highlight is the train trip down to Morretes and Paranaguá, not to be missed!

For this and much more, Curitiba is the city where I would like to live.

[Edited at 2009-01-18 00:18 GMT]
Collapse

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
beautiful topic!!! Jan 18, 2009

Actually, my biggest dream is to move in Ireland (Dublin or the south/south-eastern coast) or to Scotland (I've been to Pitlochry recently and simply fell in love with the place, the people, the nature and the atmosphere) and open a BB. I've already picked a name (Dandellion) and basically virtually decorated/furnished the whole spot already ;D

Wouldn't mind anywhere in Canada, New Zealand, the US or Australia, actually..As long as it's not Italy anymore!!!

Fabienne1969
Fabienne1969
French to English
+ ...
I actually love it where I belong but... Mar 19, 2009

I wouldn't go anywhere else. I live in the house where I was born! However, I'm attracted to a few nice places...

England: Devon or Cornwall, I LOVE these counties, so wild and nice.
Germany: I'm definitely in love with Heidelberg, the "romantic town by the Neckar river"
and USA: New England, with its little villages by the sea, covered bridges and pretty lighthouses.

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Definetely - Italy Mar 19, 2009

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Home is where heart is...

My heart belongs to Italy, but it is not my home.

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Aix-en-Provence Mar 30, 2009

And what about the South of France?
Have you seen the movie A very Good Year?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which country/city/village would you like to move to?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »