Off topic: 04.07.02 - Latest update on Pooja\'s cause: 60 contributions sofar (and a lot more expected, hopefu!
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 17:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 29, 2002

and a lot more expected, hopefully.

Things are slowing down already, unfortunately.

Many thanks to all of you who already contributed!

And to those who didn\'t contribute (yet): many thanks for not grumbling about this message

Here\'s an update on contributions made to \'Pooja\'s cause\':

- 40 ProZ members and 3 non-ProZ members have contributed directly
... See more
and a lot more expected, hopefully.

Things are slowing down already, unfortunately.

Many thanks to all of you who already contributed!

And to those who didn\'t contribute (yet): many thanks for not grumbling about this message

Here\'s an update on contributions made to \'Pooja\'s cause\':

- 40 ProZ members and 3 non-ProZ members have contributed directly to the wallet: 1.010 USD will be forwarded by ProZ.com directly to India.

- 1 ProZ member has sent a (very) substantial donation to India directly (625 USD) - people who\'d like to contribute directly to Pooja\'s Indian account may request for full bank data by separate e-mail to [email protected]

- 11 ProZ members and 1 non-ProZ member already sent something by separate mail to Jazyk Plc or to the Jazyk account (370 euro).

\"Lisse\", many thanks; couldn\'t find you on this site, though!

More is expected as several ProZ members notified me of the fact they had mailed a contribution (4).

A ProZ Powwow benefit -a very nice idea brought forward by Youp Kila, who will also be our host and cook- will take place in Antwerp on September 15. Full details in the Dutch forum and soon on the Powwow Board.

In short: a total of 2.005 USD is being sent to India now.

Looking great...

Remember, you may still reach out for someone who really deserves it.

And you\'ll agree that 40 ProZ members out of a potential 37.000 can\'t be considered a very large percentage.

Any amount, NO MATTER how small or big, will be equally appreciated.

You may find Pooja\'s wallet at:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_c=2127&eid_s=2127

Henry already promised he will not charge anything for this service...

and remember that ALL proceedings are being transferred DIRECTLY from my wallet to India by ProZ.com.

The moment we reach 100 contributors, I\'ll ask Henry to pick a number from 1-100. The corresponding number on my list (which will NOT be made public) will receive a splendid handpainted miniature (see below for full details) by the late Brij Mohan Singh, Pooja\'s father.

Enjoy your weekends,

Evert

Message posted a couple of days ago:

This message is not directly related to translation, but as a multicultural education-related community of 36,000+, maybe it would be possible for us to stress our solidarity once in a while with people who are not fortunate enough even to be able to continue their education...

Some of the ProZ mods will maybe remember that I once mentioned (in the context of sponsoring a project with charity dollars donated by grateful Kudoz askers) helping out an Indian girl who lost her father a couple of years ago and who was going thru lots of ordeals ever since.

Pooja (that\'s her name, she\'s the daughter of Brij Mohan Singh, who was my best friend -he suddenly died at the end of \'96 at the age of 46) is now 17 years young and I spoke to her over the phone last Sunday.

In fact she called me for help.

She told me that their landlord cut off all power supplies, that he wants to evict them out of their (very very small) apartment (in Amer, a town about 8 kms. from Jaipur), that she can\'t pay for her textbooks, rent, tuition and what have you, and that they (they= Pooja & her mother Sonu) have absolutely no income nor anyone to turn to for help.

I know Pooja and Sonu very well (I visited them a first time in 1986 and then each year until 1995) and I know Pooja is an extremely bright and intelligent girl, who ought to be able to continue her studies (French + English & computer sciences).

By the way, Pooja considers me a bit like her father. No wonder, I first met her when she was 2 years old.

Now, wouldn\'t it be great if we could help her out a bit?

I have sent them some money in the past, but don\'t have the income to really help them out.

10 or even 5 euro/USD a member would already be sufficient, no matter how many or how few would contribute.

In fact, any contribution would be highly appreciated and I will see to it that Pooja informs me (and you) regularly about further developments with respect to her studies, sends us some pictures etc.

I sincerely hope some of you will be able and willing to donate a few cents asap, as I know they\'re in a very bad shape and it\'s all (rather very) urgent.

ProZ members willing to do so and who trust me may send any amount to my ProZ wallet at

http://www.proz.com/?sp=partprof&eid_c=2127&eid_s=2127

I\'m sure Henry will not charge anything for this service... (Henry?)

By the way, ALL proceedings are being transferred directly from my wallet to India by ProZ.com.

Or you may wire a small contribution or simply send a small banknote (I\'ve done that before) to

Jazyk BVBA

Nachtegaalstraat 36

8490 Jabbeke

Belgium

Bank: Bank Brussel Lambert NV

Account number: 380-0164170-20

IBAN: BE28 3800 1641 7020

BIC of the BBL: BBRU BEBB

Do mention: Pooja / India 2002

Please do not send any cheques, as banks charge far too much and it takes ages to cash these.

I guarantee I\'ll forward everything directly and immediately to India.

In order to guarantee complete honesty, I will keep you all updated on the amount of contributions received and will ask another ProZ member to check all bank statements.

Other than that, I would like to give some sort of an award to one of the contributing ProZ members.

Pooja\'s father was a well known bright artist (e.g. he was a.o. commissioned to paint the portrait of the then president of India (Mr. Giani Zail Singh - president in the 1980\'s - I know for sure as I visited him a couple of times when Brij was still alive)) and I have several (absolutely great) miniatures painted by him.

I will list (and number) all members sending a contribution, whereby Henry (after a couple of weeks) will pick a number from 1 to (final number on the list); the person whose number corresponds to Henry\'s number will then receive this miniature (value of miniature: between 300 and 1000 USD).

What about it? We would be doing something very valuable, nobody would be hurt financially and we would be giving someone an opportunity to pick up her life.

I\'ll be looking forward to hearing from you soonest.

Best regards and thanking you all in advance,

Evert

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-30 10:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-30 16:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-01 00:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-01 08:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-01 14:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-03 09:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-04 11:30 ]
Collapse

Corinne Bono
Corinne Bono
France
Local time: 17:06
English to French
+ ...
how do I get to this wallet, please? Jul 5, 2002

Hello,

I have been trying to lodge a small contribution but can not access the wallet, in fact I can hardly access anything on ProZ for the past week.

Any suggestions? Having checked with the bank, and having been told you would have to wait for about 3 weeks to get it, I\'d rather use a ProZ wallet.

Best wishes

Corinne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

04.07.02 - Latest update on Pooja\'s cause: 60 contributions sofar (and a lot more expected, hopefu!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »