Off topic: Beautiful story with (over) literal translation
Thread poster: Phil Hand
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:58
Chinese to English
May 11, 2019

There's a lovely story on Slate where the author uses highly literal translations of formal Korean pleasantries to create a sense of estrangement. The narrator is a Korean-American, and I think this form captures her sense of understanding-but-unfamiliarity really well.

“OK, fine,” she said. “Since you’re a special customer.”

“I won’t forget it,” my mother said.

The girl wrapped the coat in a bag. “Oh, I can’t spit on a smiling face.�
... See more
There's a lovely story on Slate where the author uses highly literal translations of formal Korean pleasantries to create a sense of estrangement. The narrator is a Korean-American, and I think this form captures her sense of understanding-but-unfamiliarity really well.

“OK, fine,” she said. “Since you’re a special customer.”

“I won’t forget it,” my mother said.

The girl wrapped the coat in a bag. “Oh, I can’t spit on a smiling face.”

“Yes, you’ve made us smile.” My mother eased up and took the girl’s hand. “You’re so smart and fast. You’re a good girl. You don’t say too much, you don’t give too much.”

There's some descriptions of eating disorders that are a bit close to the bone, so be warned!

Edit: I forgot to put the link in, what a doofus: https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/05/the-coat-korean-mother-personal-essay.html
Sorry!

[Edited at 2019-05-11 08:25 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Elizabeth Tamblin

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
something hidden? May 14, 2019

Did the girl really want the jacket?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beautiful story with (over) literal translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »