Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Translator playlists - what do you listen to?
Thread poster: Mark Hemming
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends... Nov 24, 2016

...on what I have to translate! I daresay my preferences can be summarised as follows:

- Long, easy technical translations which require near to zero creativity but demand a high pace: Some lively music (salsa, R&B, even Techno from the 80's)
- Demanding, short, creative translations: Instrumental music (Chill out, classical music at times)
- Other types of mildly creative/mildly challenging work: Judge Judy and other TV court shows in the background

I gener
... See more
...on what I have to translate! I daresay my preferences can be summarised as follows:

- Long, easy technical translations which require near to zero creativity but demand a high pace: Some lively music (salsa, R&B, even Techno from the 80's)
- Demanding, short, creative translations: Instrumental music (Chill out, classical music at times)
- Other types of mildly creative/mildly challenging work: Judge Judy and other TV court shows in the background

I generally use Youtube for all the above. Mix it all with the sound of my older children battling in the background, baby talk from my younger son, dogs barking, and chirping birds in the garden.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounds grand! Nov 24, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... from the vessels leaving / entering the locks of the Kiel Canal, accompanied sometimes by the sound of their propeller.

I am not too sure about propeller sound, but the horns sound grand!

I am really fond of bells, and miss proper bells at home which I had when I lived in Switzerland and Britain. The church bells in my town are small, and recently the priest decided to install electrical motors to ring them... thus killing the whole sense of tradition and spirituality hand ringing used to have up to now.

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
Romanian to English
+ ...
Listening to music is an activity by itself Nov 24, 2016

Although I can easily, though not happily, handle inevitable distraction such as work-related e-mails or phone calls, I prefer to work in complete silence and when done, if I feel like it, listen to music as a "main" activity and not just for background.

Whether I listen to any music at all while working depends on how bored I am with the text or how full of energy I am. When work is not enough to consume my energy, I might turn on some music on Youtube, which is mostly pre-classica
... See more
Although I can easily, though not happily, handle inevitable distraction such as work-related e-mails or phone calls, I prefer to work in complete silence and when done, if I feel like it, listen to music as a "main" activity and not just for background.

Whether I listen to any music at all while working depends on how bored I am with the text or how full of energy I am. When work is not enough to consume my energy, I might turn on some music on Youtube, which is mostly pre-classical, mostly harpsichord or organ and mostly Bach or the Marcello brothers.

Recently I've grown very fond of Alison Balsom's trumpet renditions of Bach and other pre-classical composers, she's exquisite!

[Edited at 2016-11-24 13:13 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
It´s rather the sound ... Nov 24, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I am not too sure about propeller sound, but the horns sound grand!

... of the swashing water because of the vessel´s draught than the propellers themselves.
Sometimes I can even smell their exhaust gases which isn´t funny at all (but very toxic).

And strange enough, but I don´t mind hearing the noise of playing children outside on the street while I´m working, whereas an ever barking dog would drive me crazy.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usually silence Nov 25, 2016

Like Tom and Laura, I usually prefer silence. But on occasion, I will listen to music (usually pop/rock). And in the case of a project that is long but not particularly demanding that I am working on later at night, I find that electronica music often helps combat fatigue.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Sounds of fire Nov 26, 2016

Oh BTW what I love in the winter is the sound of a fireplace, it actually makes me feel warmer. Of course, that's a sound file, or even a video on my second monitor - I'm scared of fire to the point of banning tea lights from my home.

There are even websites where you can assemble your own non-music audio backgrounds, or just use what other people have assembled. Gryffindor, anyone? (I l
... See more
Oh BTW what I love in the winter is the sound of a fireplace, it actually makes me feel warmer. Of course, that's a sound file, or even a video on my second monitor - I'm scared of fire to the point of banning tea lights from my home.

There are even websites where you can assemble your own non-music audio backgrounds, or just use what other people have assembled. Gryffindor, anyone? (I love that one, but I mute the "Party Chattering" channel.)

Or for the summer: http://www.rainymood.com
Or this for when the upstairs neighbor is wearing the brick-soled slippers again: https://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator playlists - what do you listen to?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »