Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Why do I always think of the same place when transcribing?
Thread poster: Petra Fischbäck
Petra Fischbäck
Petra Fischbäck  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
English to German
+ ...
May 4, 2016

What's going on? Whenever I transcribe anything, which can be about a number of very different subjects, I always see the same area in Munich in my mind's eye. Olympiapark and Dachauer Str., near Olympiapark. Always this area. It has been at least a year since I've been there, though. I don't usually go there. In fact, I don't even live in Munich at the moment.

Still, whenever I transcribe, there it is. Why?

Do you have similar places or images that you "see" when tra
... See more
What's going on? Whenever I transcribe anything, which can be about a number of very different subjects, I always see the same area in Munich in my mind's eye. Olympiapark and Dachauer Str., near Olympiapark. Always this area. It has been at least a year since I've been there, though. I don't usually go there. In fact, I don't even live in Munich at the moment.

Still, whenever I transcribe, there it is. Why?

Do you have similar places or images that you "see" when transcribing or translating anything?

Btw, the transcriptions have absolutely nothing to do with Munich.

Ok, back to Olympiapark/Dachauer Str. it is ...
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha Ha May 4, 2016

Ha ha yes, all the time; places, events, people, images that seem to emerge out of memory, stimulated by processes of association not even Sigmund Freud could explain.

[Edited at 2016-05-04 14:17 GMT]

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:29
French to English
+ ...
Me too May 4, 2016

Sometimes over time the image changes....to another image that stays with me. Where are our psychologist peers to explain this? It also happens to me when I warm up on the piano (scales, etc.).

Petra Fischbäck
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wonder what it means. May 4, 2016

Why is it always the same place? Which I don't even particularly like.

I've been thinking it could be a message from my subconscious to look for something there. Real estate? A place for myself? A friend?

Anyway, it's good to know that I'm not the only one "seeing" things when working.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Maybe May 4, 2016

Patrice wrote:

Sometimes over time the image changes....to another image that stays with me. Where are our psychologist peers to explain this? It also happens to me when I warm up on the piano (scales, etc.).

Maybe if we "call up" something it helps us to get going; like the smell and taste of the madeleines that started Proust's creative juices flowing. I am reminded of the title (in English) of Vladimir Nabokov's memoirs: "Speak, Memory" - an exhortation to his own memory to vouchsafe its contents.

We remember an enormous amount: probably everything. But it only comes out in bits and pieces.

[Edited at 2016-05-04 15:21 GMT]

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, never May 4, 2016

When I'm working I'm completely engrossed in my work. I don't even hear the music playing in the background, or people talking.

Perhaps I should travel more!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe this will help May 4, 2016

I just happened to translate this quote:
"Feelings continuously modulate the way data and events are stored in our memory."

Perhaps you felt something there.

I have some irrelevant flashes of equally irrelevant sights from my past, however I can't relate them to anything taking place when I have them.

Petra Fischbäck
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answer May 5, 2016

I wish I could block out anything! Unfortunately, working with "music in the background" is completely impossible for me.

But I'm just wondering why I don't think of various random memories, but always of that same small area which I don't even particularly like. I have never lived there either, and I don't know anyone living there. So actually, there should be no connection at all.

Mystery. ... Back to the translation about oil changes.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Déjà Vu May 5, 2016

Petra_44 wrote:

But I'm just wondering why I don't think of various random memories, but always of that same small area which I don't even particularly like.

Very simple. This happens because you are using Déjà Vu as you CAT tool, Try other tools.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I get engrossed too May 7, 2016

Helena Chavarria wrote:
When I'm working I'm completely engrossed in my work. I don't even hear the music playing in the background, or people talking.

My office is a multipurpose area, shared with my huaband's activities of music-making and model engineering. Anyone who has ever heard a metal-working lathe in action (particularly when working brass) will confirm that it's deafening. Even he is surprised that I don't "hear" it. He used to play his guitar, ask me if it sounded good, then be miffed when I said "Did what sound good?". I must hear, of course, but noise doesn't intrude. Likewise, I don't think any input comes from my mind or through my other senses while I'm working hard. In fact, when anything does distract me I know it's high time for a break.

PS: Nice one, Merab

Françoise Vogel
Françoise Vogel  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Very simple indeed May 7, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

Very simple. This happens because you are using Déjà Vu ...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
If you really want to know... May 7, 2016

Whenever this place in Munich comes to your mind (and if you have time for it), try to analyze your feelings about this place and then see how you're honestly feeling about transcription. There is a connection. You just need to find it and then the images will disappear.

Petra Fischbäck
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
answer May 7, 2016

Thayenga wrote:

Whenever this place in Munich comes to your mind (and if you have time for it), try to analyze your feelings about this place and then see how you're honestly feeling about transcription. There is a connection. You just need to find it and then the images will disappear.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. ... I don't have any competing images that I "see" when I do my other work, though, which is translating and trading stocks.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Question... May 7, 2016

Petra_44 wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. ... I don't have any competing images that I "see" when I do my other work, though, which is translating and trading stocks.

Does this image comes to mind in any other situation, in particular, when your body is in still position, eg. while sitting, lying down relaxing, reading a book, etc?

Petra Fischbäck
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, never. May 7, 2016

This is a place that I don't usually think of. I don't find it particularly appealing and would not like to live there, although in Munich, I might have to in order to find affordable accommodation at all. (At the moment, I don't live in Munich, so that question is theoretical.)

In Munich, you could do far worse than that, though. It's still reasonably central and connected to the subway network, so you don't need a bus.

It does not come to me at any other times, though
... See more
This is a place that I don't usually think of. I don't find it particularly appealing and would not like to live there, although in Munich, I might have to in order to find affordable accommodation at all. (At the moment, I don't live in Munich, so that question is theoretical.)

In Munich, you could do far worse than that, though. It's still reasonably central and connected to the subway network, so you don't need a bus.

It does not come to me at any other times, though.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do I always think of the same place when transcribing?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »