Thread poster: sokolniki
sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2015

Our heart-felt condolences to all our French colleagues. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Liberte, fraternite, legalite! Vive la France!

Andriy Bublikov
Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:21
French to Russian
+ ...

I support Nov 14, 2015

I support.

Liberte, fraternite, legalite! Vive la France!

MurielG
MurielG
France
Local time: 02:21
English to French
Thank you. Nov 14, 2015

Thank you very much. It's really more helpful than you think it is. Warm messages from all over the world mean a great deal in times like these.

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Mes condoleances Nov 14, 2015

Mes condoleances a la France, et surtout a cettes peres qui ne verrons plus a ses fils tues au nom du fanatism quand ils s'amussent.,

[Editado a las 2015-11-14 20:23 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 01:21
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Toutes mes condoléances Nov 14, 2015

Je suis solidaire avec tous les français et avec toutes les personnes qui ont perdu leurs proches à cause de la haine de certains dont la vie et les idées sont guidées par des choses que je ne comprendrai jamais... hier et aujourd'hui, en France et dans d'autres pays.
Toutes mes condoléances.

Traductrice PRO
Traductrice PRO  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:21
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
Peace for Paris! Nov 15, 2015

In solidarity we stand. Peace for Paris!

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 09:21
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Lights of hope for Paris Nov 15, 2015

Deep condolences for Paris citizens.
I know it is a long and tough way to get through but never lose hope. Hope the criminals will be awake one day to realize what they were doing. Goodwill never dies.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
La France dans nos coeurs Nov 15, 2015

Mon père disait toujours ces mots, attribués à Thomas Jefferson:

Every man has two countries - his own and France.

(Chaque homme a deux patries: la sienne et la France.)

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I feel for you Nov 15, 2015

It's always sad when common people die for nothing because of others' believes, yet after so many provocative and ambiguous official statements, it was just a matter of time, alas.

There're already over a dozen of terrorist attacks this year, but I can't remember so many posers with selfies of some country flag in the background. Is it really just a bloody show for some? Hopefully not.

[Edited at 2015-11-16 06:33 GMT]

Isabelle Defévère
Isabelle Defévère  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to French
+ ...
☼ Merci ☼ Nov 15, 2015

I was in Paris this weekend to see for the first time my sister's baby. It was supposed to be wonderful, but it was horrible.

Of course I enjoyed the time with my family, but all around it was just death, blood...

I'm now back to Spain where I live, I'm French and I feel sad for my country France, but also for Lebanon, Kenya, Russia, Syria, etc., everywhere where some crazy people kill others because of... who knows?
... See more
I was in Paris this weekend to see for the first time my sister's baby. It was supposed to be wonderful, but it was horrible.

Of course I enjoyed the time with my family, but all around it was just death, blood...

I'm now back to Spain where I live, I'm French and I feel sad for my country France, but also for Lebanon, Kenya, Russia, Syria, etc., everywhere where some crazy people kill others because of... who knows?

Here my post about this war.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Liberté, égalité, fraternité - toujours Nov 15, 2015

Paris - nous pensons à vous

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
thank you Nov 15, 2015

I'm not French but I have lived my entire adult life in this most beautiful city. I had a worrying time Friday night before my daughter's message finally made it to us (she was staying at a friend's to avoid having to travel past the Bataclan home). My heart is bleeding. It is so heartwarming to read your messages, thank you.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:51
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It was terrible Nov 16, 2015

I live in Mumbai which has experienced this trauma way back in 2008 when a similar band of lunatics started firing automatic rifles and lobbing grenades at crowded public places like railway stations and hotels leaving behind hundreds dead from several nationalities.

The Paris attacks seem to be on the same pattern.

These horrible incidents are becoming all too frequent and in all parts of the world. I wish there was something that could be done to rid the world of thi
... See more
I live in Mumbai which has experienced this trauma way back in 2008 when a similar band of lunatics started firing automatic rifles and lobbing grenades at crowded public places like railway stations and hotels leaving behind hundreds dead from several nationalities.

The Paris attacks seem to be on the same pattern.

These horrible incidents are becoming all too frequent and in all parts of the world. I wish there was something that could be done to rid the world of this menace, but I realize that as translators we are powerless to do anything and all that we can do is to offer reassurances and consolation to one another. Perhaps as parents and responsible citizens we can inculcate in our children and in those over whom we have some influence such values and a sense of morality that would prevent them from going astray. I was shocked to learn from reports in the newspapers and on tv that some of the killers were as young as 15 year olds.

Somewhere the French society, as also societies in every part of the world, has failed very badly and we all need to do some serious soul-searching as to what went wrong and what needs to be done to build a more harmonious, hate-free, humane society in all parts of the world.

[Edited at 2015-11-16 13:35 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mumbai Nov 16, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I live in Mumbai which has experienced this trauma way back in 2008

I heard the UK Prime Minister on the radio this morning saying that the attack on Mumbai had been taken as the "model" by the British security agencies as the kind of attack most likely to be launched in London (which is expected).

It would also help if the UK Prime Minister could avoid going on TV, with blanket coverage, boasting about having used British drones to assassinate ISIS/Daesh members. His triumphalism seems too much like an invitation.

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

as translators we are powerless to do anything.........

Not quite true; translators/interpreters are always required for fast translation of intercepted phone calls, websites, videos etc. The main language would be Arabic I suppose but not exclusively.

I imagine that translators/interpreters are playing a vital role here although, of course, their activities and who they are would be top secret - and I think we should keep it that way.

.... as translators we are powerless to do anything.........

We can become politically active, as campaigners and also as translators, since the problem is worldwide and international connections are very important. For example: placards carried on demonstrations are useless if they are all in a language that an international television audience cannot understand.

La France c'est moi aussi - la France de toutes les ethnies

[Edited at 2015-11-16 08:48 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
En français: l’editorial du Guardian: Nous devons rester fermes après les attaques de Paris Nov 16, 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/16/attaques-de-paris-lanalyse-le-guardian

[Edited at 2015-11-16 10:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vive la France!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »