Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What do you call the snack you eat at school in the mid-morning break?
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
elevenses Oct 18, 2015

Elevenses is what my grandmother called the morning cuppa ....!

I never had a piece and chips, not in use in our family
But bacon or sausage in a Glasgow roll was a favourite.

I had never heard of pulled pork till a few months ago when my brother-in-law sent me a photo of his lunch by Whatsapp (we were discussing diets!).

neilmac wrote:

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

When you were at school and you took something to eat in the mid-morning break, what did you call it?
I don't mean the packed lunch.
Something like an apple or a bag of crisps, that's what I used to take.

The problem is, what is the correct name in English?
In Scotland we call it a "piece" or a "playpiece" (because you eat it at playtime).
But I'm sure that's a regional variety and there must be something more widely acceptable.

Thanks in advance!

This takes me back. In fact, a piece and chips (aka a "chip butty" down south) is still a Glasgow delicacy I enjoy every time I go back, although nowadays it isincreasingly likely to be accompanied by things like pulled pork, spicy sausage, curry sauce or some other newfangled tomfoodery.

I think "elevenses" is probably the nearest "standard English" equivalent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7SAPmcwXA

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:41
Hebrew to English
Yep Oct 18, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

In my school(s) we just referred to it as "snack" or used it in a sentence like "I've got a packet of crisps for break." I don't think the food itself has a name, come to think of it!

My school had a "snack shack" which sold crisps, chocolate, sweets (this was the early 90s before the whole Jamie Oliver health crusade in schools) in the morning break.

Jessica D Eath
Jessica D Eath  Identity Verified
Ireland
Italian to English
+ ...
Small lunch Oct 18, 2015

In my west of Ireland national school in the 90s we had "small lunch" ("lón beag" in Irish) at around 10.30am, and "big lunch" ("lón mór") at around 12.45 or so. The contents of both of these lunches was largely up to the parents and the order in which they were eaten was largely up to the child themselves. Some parents sent separate items for lón beag and lón mór, some just sent a single lunch and the child would decide how much or little to eat at either break time. Some children would e... See more
In my west of Ireland national school in the 90s we had "small lunch" ("lón beag" in Irish) at around 10.30am, and "big lunch" ("lón mór") at around 12.45 or so. The contents of both of these lunches was largely up to the parents and the order in which they were eaten was largely up to the child themselves. Some parents sent separate items for lón beag and lón mór, some just sent a single lunch and the child would decide how much or little to eat at either break time. Some children would eat everything at lón beag and be hungry again by lón mór - I'm sure it's all more coordinated nowadays!Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
And in with the new... Oct 18, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

Natalie Soper wrote:

In my school(s) we just referred to it as "snack" or used it in a sentence like "I've got a packet of crisps for break." I don't think the food itself has a name, come to think of it!

My school had a "snack shack" which sold crisps, chocolate, sweets (this was the early 90s before the whole Jamie Oliver health crusade in schools) in the morning break.

Ah, yes. In the olden days (70s - 80s) this would have been the "tuck shop"... immortalised by writers like Richmal Crompton...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_shop

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/jimwhite/3555158/Say-huzzah-for-Billy-Bunter-a-man-for-our-time.html

[Edited at 2015-10-18 11:08 GMT]

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
docky Oct 18, 2015

At primary school in Cambridgeshire in the 1950s, it was "docky" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/docky) and the time you ate it was called "docky time". It's regional, being limited to parts of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, and used to apply both to a mid-morning snack and a farm labourer's midday packed lunch. I imagine it may have fallen into disuse now, with the decline in farm employment.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Those were the days... Oct 18, 2015

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

In Scotland we call it a "piece" or a "playpiece" (because you eat it at playtime).

That brings back memories!!!

In Italy they simply call it "merenda", which means "snack".

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tuck Oct 18, 2015

Always remember it being 'tuck' or 'tuckie' in 90s Glasgow.

Whit ur ye gettin' fur yer tuck?

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tuck? Oct 18, 2015

We never used tuck, but I remember reading about the "tuck shop" in school stories.

I remember the Billy Bunter programmes, guess that really dates me ....

[Edited at 2015-10-18 14:06 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
. Oct 19, 2015

Paul Adie wrote:

Always remember it being 'tuck' or 'tuckie' in 90s Glasgow.

Whit ur ye gettin' fur yer tuck?

I remember we had a tuck shop at our school in Wirksworth, Derbyshire, back in the 1960s. Lots of lovely tooth-rotting stuff on sale. I don't remember buying anything from it - must've been too poor.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We never had enough money to buy anything Oct 19, 2015

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I remember we had a tuck shop at our school in Wirksworth, Derbyshire, back in the 1960s. Lots of lovely tooth-rotting stuff on sale. I don't remember buying anything from it - must've been too poor.

There was a tuck shop in my boarding school that opened for about half an hour on Sunday afternoons. We were only given 20p a week pocket money, which meant we could never afford to buy anything

That was in the second half of the 70s.

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:41
English to French
Elevenses for hobbits :) Oct 20, 2015

Surely you have seen the Lord of the rings and the long list of meals Peregrin Took and Merry Brandyvuck will have to go without on their long errand away from the Shire!

Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
So early Oct 20, 2015

When I was at school we took a break at around 10:00 to 10:30am. For this reason it was called 'ten-o-clocks'.

I remember that we had lunch at around noon, so taking a break at 11am wouldn't have made sense.

This is all based on my experiences 20 years ago in the north east of England.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Tuck Oct 20, 2015

Tuck at my school was sweets, which we were allowed to bring from home, and they were kept locked away in a cupboard. We were allowed a modest ration on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays.

I remember being bitterly outraged at being punished for keeping a little of my Sunday ration for Monday!! I had to do without on Wednesday, if not for a whole week!

That was in the junior school. I think later on, with a different housemistress, people were more relaxed.

... See more
Tuck at my school was sweets, which we were allowed to bring from home, and they were kept locked away in a cupboard. We were allowed a modest ration on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays.

I remember being bitterly outraged at being punished for keeping a little of my Sunday ration for Monday!! I had to do without on Wednesday, if not for a whole week!

That was in the junior school. I think later on, with a different housemistress, people were more relaxed.

I can date the punishment episode, one of many, to around 1961.
It was around the time of the early Marshmallow Test studies, but of course we knew nothing about that...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

The first pages are delightful reading...
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Milk Oct 20, 2015

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

I have been asked this by my sister who teaches English in Austria.
It's for a project of some kind.

When you were at school and you took something to eat in the mid-morning break, what did you call it?
I don't mean the packed lunch.
Something like an apple or a bag of crisps, that's what I used to take.

The problem is, what is the correct name in English?
But I'm sure that's a regional variety and there must be something more widely acceptable.

So please add your suggestions, the more the merrier.

Thanks in advance!

When I was at school, a long time ago, we used to be given a bottle of milk. This free distribution of milk ended when Margaret Thatcher stopped it. I think children are now given sugar-filled things to make them fat.

Rachel Braff
Rachel Braff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:41
French to English
+ ...
I was deprived! Oct 20, 2015

As a couple of other people have said, I don't think this was really a thing in the US when I was in school (late 80s). As far as I knew, only preschoolers and kindergarteners got snacks. Once you were actually in elementary, standard procedure seemed to be that you just had to suffer and get increasingly distracted before lunch finally came around.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you call the snack you eat at school in the mid-morning break?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »