Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Revealing your nationality to compatriots visiting your adopted country?
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2015

... or, when in your own country, do you reveal your place of residence to stray tourists from your adopted country?

I must say I avoid both now, but in Dublin recently I found I'm not the only one, and for the same reasons, although others take it to extreme lengths. We had a pub meal in the city centre last week, and as we were waiting a group of Italians came in and sat down quite near us. As our waitress had no obviously Oirish accent, I asked her where she was from. She leaned
... See more
... or, when in your own country, do you reveal your place of residence to stray tourists from your adopted country?

I must say I avoid both now, but in Dublin recently I found I'm not the only one, and for the same reasons, although others take it to extreme lengths. We had a pub meal in the city centre last week, and as we were waiting a group of Italians came in and sat down quite near us. As our waitress had no obviously Oirish accent, I asked her where she was from. She leaned over and whispered, "I'm Italian, and so's the other waiter over there, but please don't say anything out loud. If they find out I'm Italian, they'll pester me all evening with where to go here, what to do, what to buy, what price this and what price that, the bus, the taxi, the hotel and all the rest, and frankly I'm working, and I couldn't be bothered."

It was better than a show for us, seeing the both of them coming and going and addressing the Italians in very good English all the time. Then I asked her what she says if Italians ask where she's from, and she said "It varies, but I think of a country where nobody's likely to know the language". It still sounded pretty risqué to me, considering it's not just a matter of giving someone directions in the street, but you have to talk to customers for an hour or so, maybe, and indeed she was partially rumbled in the end, by a rogue Italian comment they overheard, to her mate at the bar. We sniggered as we heard her saying to the Italians, still in English, Yes, my mother is Italian, yes, I speak a little (yes, your mother, your father, your brothers and sisters and the lot of them!).

I have a lot of sympathy for her. We do tend to latch on to people we find speaking the same tongue while in foreign climes, and we never leave them alone after that. Regretfully, I remember I did this myself once with a Welsh bloke in Copenhagen. What would you do?

Mervyn
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Similar experiences Aug 18, 2015

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I have a lot of sympathy for her. We do tend to latch on to people we find speaking the same tongue while in foreign climes, and we never leave them alone after that. Regretfully, I remember I did this myself once with a Welsh bloke in Copenhagen. What would you do?

In Japan I would find that two foreigners would often tenaciously speak Japanese to each other, as if pretending that they couldn't speak their common native language. I think it springs from the same source - not wanting to fall back into English and then go through all the Q&A regarding where you come from and what job you do etc. Quite amusing to watch, mind.

Dan

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hum, some experiences. Aug 18, 2015

Just because someone speaks the same native language as me in a foreign country, it doesn't mean we can be friends automatically?

Yes, it happened to me in several foreign countries. If they are total strangers, I will probably not try to acquaint them just because I hear them speak my native language. It also depends on the environment, if it's a big city I will certainly not (it's where I experienced this), if it's a small village I may (but I never heard my native language in a s
... See more
Just because someone speaks the same native language as me in a foreign country, it doesn't mean we can be friends automatically?

Yes, it happened to me in several foreign countries. If they are total strangers, I will probably not try to acquaint them just because I hear them speak my native language. It also depends on the environment, if it's a big city I will certainly not (it's where I experienced this), if it's a small village I may (but I never heard my native language in a small foreign village).

It's also about proximity. To me it was more unusual hearing two women speaking Serbian in London, than it was in Vienna. The further you go geographically, the lower the odds of hearing your native language.

One time a restaurant owner treated us with extra drinks because he heard us ordering food in accent of his native region. Sometimes you are just lucky lol
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
The other side of the coin Aug 18, 2015

When in Mexico as an exchange student years ago, I went on a train journey across the spectacular Copper Canyon with a friend. A small man with three huge suitcases sat down in front of us, spreading across four seats, and then proceeded to pull down the blind to shield himself against the sun, thus blocking the view of the mountains that we had travelled halfway across Mexico to see. We politely asked him (in English) not to obscure the view, and he whined and complained, despite the fact that ... See more
When in Mexico as an exchange student years ago, I went on a train journey across the spectacular Copper Canyon with a friend. A small man with three huge suitcases sat down in front of us, spreading across four seats, and then proceeded to pull down the blind to shield himself against the sun, thus blocking the view of the mountains that we had travelled halfway across Mexico to see. We politely asked him (in English) not to obscure the view, and he whined and complained, despite the fact that he could simply have moved away from the window to another of the four seats he had occuppied. My friend and I grew increasingly annoyed and uttered a lot of not very kind words about him in Danish (behind his back, not speaking to his face, that is). As we were held up along the way, he suddenly turned around and spoke to us in perfect Danish with only a slight accent: "Det er vel nok ærgerligt, at vi bliver forsinkede" (what a shame that the train is delayed). I could have died on the spot. Served me right, too!

I also remember living in England many years ago, and back then I found it quite funny to listen in on people speaking Danish when they didn't know that I understood every word they said. And I certainly didn't want to enter into conversations with them...

In a sense, it is weird to imagine that people should want to speak with us, simply because they can...
Collapse

Jeffrey Henson
Jeffrey Henson
France
Member (2015)
French to English
It depends... Aug 18, 2015

usually on how the "compatriot" is behaving. If while in my adopted country of France (or anywhere else for that matter) I run into a group of loud, obnoxious American tourists, of course I remain incognito. If on the other hand I overhear some Americans or other English-speakers discussing how to get to where they want to go or something of that nature, I usually make myself known and offer to help with directions.

It also depends on whether it's a tourist or another expat. I have
... See more
usually on how the "compatriot" is behaving. If while in my adopted country of France (or anywhere else for that matter) I run into a group of loud, obnoxious American tourists, of course I remain incognito. If on the other hand I overhear some Americans or other English-speakers discussing how to get to where they want to go or something of that nature, I usually make myself known and offer to help with directions.

It also depends on whether it's a tourist or another expat. I have on occasion made myself known to other expats that, having accidentally overheard their conversation, I understood they also live in my area. Strangely, even though we both always seem happy to "run into" another American living in the same city, we almost never feel the need or desire to exchange phone numbers, e-mail or other info so as to remain in contact. We usually just ask where the other is from, what brought them to France, how long ago, etc. as well as the obligatory "Oh, do you know so and so ?", while going through a mental list of all of our other American acquaintences in the area.

As for the second part of your question, I come from a small town in the US, so when I'm back for a visit I almost never hear anyone speaking French while there (I think only once in 23 years), so it's not an issue.

When traveling in other countries, my Lebanese wife and I usually speak French in public for privacy because there always seem to be more foreigners who understand English than French.

[Edited at 2015-08-18 15:58 GMT]
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:42
Russian to English
+ ...
A wrong assumption Aug 19, 2015

While in my twenties, I lived in Germany for a couple of years while serving in the U.S. Army. Technically, I suppose, I was a guest in the country, not a resident.

On one occasion, I was having some trouble retrieving my topcoat upon leaving a nightclub. My rudimentary German was not up to the task of communicating with the woman behind the counter. As I was standing there wondering what to do, a young black man came up to the counter and addressed the nightclub employee in fluent
... See more
While in my twenties, I lived in Germany for a couple of years while serving in the U.S. Army. Technically, I suppose, I was a guest in the country, not a resident.

On one occasion, I was having some trouble retrieving my topcoat upon leaving a nightclub. My rudimentary German was not up to the task of communicating with the woman behind the counter. As I was standing there wondering what to do, a young black man came up to the counter and addressed the nightclub employee in fluent German. Because he was black, I assumed he was an American soldier like me and asked him (in English) if he would assist me. He agreed in excellent but accented English, and I was able to get my coat.

It turned out that he was African, not American, and was a student at a local university. We went back into the club and enjoyed a drink and some nice conversation.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The converse situation... Aug 19, 2015

Once while on holiday at home I was buying some not very romantic underwear of my favourite UK brand.

When I got to the checkout, I discovered that one pair was a size too small, so I explained to my husband in Danish that I would have to go back to the underwear section and get another pair that would accommodate my big a**. Not the rudest word in Danish, but don't use it when the wrong people are listening!

A few minutes later, back at the checkout, the assistant addr
... See more
Once while on holiday at home I was buying some not very romantic underwear of my favourite UK brand.

When I got to the checkout, I discovered that one pair was a size too small, so I explained to my husband in Danish that I would have to go back to the underwear section and get another pair that would accommodate my big a**. Not the rudest word in Danish, but don't use it when the wrong people are listening!

A few minutes later, back at the checkout, the assistant addressed me in the practically obsolete polite form of address (equivalent of vous or Sie) 'And is Madam now satisfied with our lingerie?'
Then seeing my face, she could not help giggling and asking which part of Denmark we came from... She had lived in England for years, but there was no mistaking her warm West-Jutland accent...

[Edited at 2015-08-20 09:12 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Italians in London Aug 19, 2015

Given the large numbers of Italians who have come to live in London I am frequently entertained, on the bus or in the street, by their discussions of supposedly private and often intimate matters. They think nobody around them understands what they're saying.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Excuse me, but... Aug 19, 2015

.... I know this is an 'Off topic' thread, but even off topic threads have a topic, and in this case, what is the topic? In short, what are we talking about? Meeting a fellow countryman while you living abroad, and do we reveal ourselves or not?

Two possibilities, it is too late and I don't understand this topic, or there is no topic!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
OK, back on topic... Aug 19, 2015

I sometimes can't resist trying to help tourists in town here - especially if we are in a queue and I can see that everyone will be able to move on faster if I interfere and interpret.

Otherwise I tend to keep quiet - at times the town is simply teeming with many nationalities enjoying their holidays, and after all, the whole point of going abroad is supposed to be 'to get away from it all'. I feel I have better things to do than start conversations with total strangers for no parti
... See more
I sometimes can't resist trying to help tourists in town here - especially if we are in a queue and I can see that everyone will be able to move on faster if I interfere and interpret.

Otherwise I tend to keep quiet - at times the town is simply teeming with many nationalities enjoying their holidays, and after all, the whole point of going abroad is supposed to be 'to get away from it all'. I feel I have better things to do than start conversations with total strangers for no particular reason.

On other occasions, when in mixed company, I find myself chatting away in Danish as usual. Sometimes we both know we're English - or I know he is Welsh in one case... but we carry on in Danish anyway. It is just too complicated to keep switching.

I found it quite difficult to keep going in English with an American who was struggling with Danish, and really did not understand our husbands talking at high speed. She went silent, but she was not trying to follow their conversation.
The whole idea of visiting them was to try and help a bit, but we didn't repeat it!
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On/off Aug 20, 2015

As far as I can see, there’ s only been one off topic contribution to the off topic so far here (apart from this off topic off topic piece), with the off topic complaint that the off topic is off topic and therefore not on topic.
Please stay on the off topic, and don’t go off the off topic. It puts people off putting on topic stuff on an off topic thread. Putting off topic stuff rather than on topic stuff on an off topic thread, by which I mean stuff that is off topic with regard to t
... See more
As far as I can see, there’ s only been one off topic contribution to the off topic so far here (apart from this off topic off topic piece), with the off topic complaint that the off topic is off topic and therefore not on topic.
Please stay on the off topic, and don’t go off the off topic. It puts people off putting on topic stuff on an off topic thread. Putting off topic stuff rather than on topic stuff on an off topic thread, by which I mean stuff that is off topic with regard to the off topic itself, which is actually the on topic in this case, is just not on – it’s rather off, in fact. I don’t want to go on and on about off topic and on topic, so can we get on?

I’m off.

(does the eyes in, doesn’t it?)
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Word count, repetitons, discounts etc Aug 20, 2015

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Please stay on the off topic, and don’t go off the off topic. It puts people off putting on topic stuff on an off topic thread. Putting off topic stuff rather than on topic stuff on an off topic thread, by which I mean stuff that is off topic with regard to the off topic itself, which is actually the on topic in this case, is just not on – it’s rather off, in fact. I don’t want to go on and on about off topic and on topic, so can we get on?

I’m off.

(does the eyes in, doesn’t it?)

Your CAT tool would show a lot of repetitions for this one

Btw, I have another one.

I was on holiday with all foreigners around, but I never got to hear or see any tourists from my country of origin. So as we stayed there for three weeks and saw many tourists around, but never got to hear any Croatian/Serbian, one evening I just said out loud in Serbian, in the middle of tourist crowd "tell me something in Serbian if you can understand me", and then a guy just in front of me turns to me and says in a very chilled way (in Serbian): "no need to shout, what do you want me to say"

Another situation. When I was in France a guy of Serbian origin taught an obscene Serbian phrase to a French girl, but never told her its true meaning, so the French people were trying to figure out what it really means. As they could not, a French guy shouted the obscene Serbian phrase out loud in the middle of a beach, with people around. I felt so embarrassed but nobody on the beach took any notice of it since they didn't understand it. It felt like being invisible but still embarrassed. I find these situations being fun in big crowds, since a crowd would raise the odds of someone being there who is able to understand it (or you would think so).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
David Aug 20, 2015

An American visiting Florence, where I used to live, once asked me "where's David?"

I replied "Sorry- David who?" thinking of all the Davids I knew.

It took several minutes for me to work out that this being Florence I ought to have one "David" in the forefront of my mind all the time.

[Edited at 2015-08-20 13:10 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:42
German to English
"Your English is very good!" Aug 20, 2015

I lived in Cologne (Köln) for a while in the 1970s and liked to eat in a restaurant near the cathedral. A lot of tourists also ate there, but the restaurant had terrible bilingual menus, so frequently people would ask me whether I spoke English and whether could I help them. Invariably I would agree to explain what the menu items were.

I speak American English with a slight, but identifiable East Coast accent. On several occasions, American tourists would comment on how good my Eng
... See more
I lived in Cologne (Köln) for a while in the 1970s and liked to eat in a restaurant near the cathedral. A lot of tourists also ate there, but the restaurant had terrible bilingual menus, so frequently people would ask me whether I spoke English and whether could I help them. Invariably I would agree to explain what the menu items were.

I speak American English with a slight, but identifiable East Coast accent. On several occasions, American tourists would comment on how good my English was – "almost native". I worked hard to suppress my laughter and always thanked them politely.

Brits, on the other hand, always recognized me as an American.
Collapse

Jeffrey Henson
Jeffrey Henson
France
Member (2015)
French to English
Speaking of Florence... Aug 20, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

An American visiting Florence, where I used to live, once asked me "where's David?"

I replied "Sorry- David who?" thinking of all the Davids I knew.

It took several minutes for me to work out that this being Florence I ought to have one "David" in the forefront of my mind all the time.

[Edited at 2015-08-20 13:10 GMT]

Your story reminds me of once when my family and I were visiting Florence. As I said in my previous post, when travelling abroad, my wife and I speak French together in public to maintain a certain level of privacy, English being so much more common.
Once when we were waiting to get into the Galleria degli Uffizi, we were in line next to a group of Brits. As my family and I were speaking French amongst ourselves, they paid us no head and proceeded to badmouth US politics, "American imperialism" through cinema, television and internet and Americans in general. This went on for a good 20 minutes. I never made my nationality known to them, but it was quite an eye-opening experience to see what people say "behind our backs" when they don't know we are listening.

[Edited at 2015-08-20 15:12 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revealing your nationality to compatriots visiting your adopted country?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »