Thread poster: Jonathan Norris
Jonathan Norris
Jonathan Norris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2015

Hi. My name is Spanish Contract. And I think it is absolutely okay to use "de" after six consecutive words. Sure, I could probably be much less vague if I really pushed myself, but it's not so easy. You should try being a legal document some time and tell me how you like it. I know those other fancy schmancy languages have phrases that aren't so irritating, or lazy, or obscure- good for them. I'm Spanish. I live at my own pace.

Come to think of it, "De" is the only preposit
... See more
Hi. My name is Spanish Contract. And I think it is absolutely okay to use "de" after six consecutive words. Sure, I could probably be much less vague if I really pushed myself, but it's not so easy. You should try being a legal document some time and tell me how you like it. I know those other fancy schmancy languages have phrases that aren't so irritating, or lazy, or obscure- good for them. I'm Spanish. I live at my own pace.

Come to think of it, "De" is the only preposition I'll ever need, or at least ever use, except for "a," which I also like to bend the use of rather than find a more precise word. It's fun. And besides, it drives translators absolutely bonkers, and that is a highly gratifying accomplishment for me. Do not mock me, maybe I am not perfect, but I am what I am.
Collapse

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:08
English to Catalan
+ ...
Thumbs up! Jun 5, 2015

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 05:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there Jun 5, 2015

I'm still recovering.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The vagueries of Spanish Jun 6, 2015

If only the word Deísmo weren't already taken.

[Edited at 2015-06-06 15:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The vagueries of Spanish

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »