Thread poster: Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:04
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Mar 10, 2015

Come help choose a name + logo for a new music group composed of people from the language field.

This is for a virtual music group/band composed of musicians and vocalists working in different areas of the language, translation, and linguistics. This band/group (with rotating members) is starting to do music concerts/gigs for peers in the field at various language industry events and conferences.

The name and logo suggestions and voting are happening at this open Faceb
... See more
Come help choose a name + logo for a new music group composed of people from the language field.

This is for a virtual music group/band composed of musicians and vocalists working in different areas of the language, translation, and linguistics. This band/group (with rotating members) is starting to do music concerts/gigs for peers in the field at various language industry events and conferences.

The name and logo suggestions and voting are happening at this open Facebook group

"Vote for language field music group name & logo" https://www.facebook.com/groups/646006888860199

We are also looking for people to participate (musicians and vocalists)

Jeff
Collapse

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more on this language field music group/band Mar 10, 2015

background idea of this group: When I worked at Translations.com/Transperfect, the annual company internal marketing/sales division conference would sponsor a concert, and usually the opening songs were performed by employees who came from different offices all over the world.

So, why not plan to do real live concerts at upcoming (in-person) language association/industry conferences, where the concert is performed live (on-site) by the conference participants. The concerts are not
... See more
background idea of this group: When I worked at Translations.com/Transperfect, the annual company internal marketing/sales division conference would sponsor a concert, and usually the opening songs were performed by employees who came from different offices all over the world.

So, why not plan to do real live concerts at upcoming (in-person) language association/industry conferences, where the concert is performed live (on-site) by the conference participants. The concerts are not virtual, however the group/band itself is virtual, changing, evolving because it depends completely upon who has plans to go which conferences in order to organize the musical event.

There is a first one of the series currently being organized and in its final stages of preparation. It will be announced soon.

Thus the reason to have a name and logo.

Jeff
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:04
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
names Mar 11, 2015

Present Tense
The Penultimates
Paradigm

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:04
Chinese to English
Words and Chords Mar 11, 2015

Babel No More
Spanglish
We'd Sound Better In French (Know A Translator?)
Meaning Not Words

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good idea, Phil Mar 11, 2015

Babel Blues

That one works for me. But that wouldn't work for all possible groups. One problem with this whole idea must be that not everyone will want to perform the same types of music. Still, nice idea.

@ Jeff:
Does this mean we'll get live music at the Rotterdam conference in June? I do hope so. I'll be going without my normal dose of 3-4 evenings of live music per week (not as a musician).

With your background, I'd expect computer-generated mus
... See more
Babel Blues

That one works for me. But that wouldn't work for all possible groups. One problem with this whole idea must be that not everyone will want to perform the same types of music. Still, nice idea.

@ Jeff:
Does this mean we'll get live music at the Rotterdam conference in June? I do hope so. I'll be going without my normal dose of 3-4 evenings of live music per week (not as a musician).

With your background, I'd expect computer-generated music. Not that I want it, I hasten to add.
Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Lex Pistols Mar 11, 2015

Slogan / song ideas:

Words don't come easy
(It's only) words

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
other conferences Mar 11, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Babel Blues

Yes, Sheila, there is a possibility that various different names could be adopted and used by people want to focus on different music styles. I organized a music concert for my company (SAP) last Nov with 9 different groups/bands of employees of SAP France playing for a total duration of 5 hours. Completely different styles starting with piano-bar up to heavy metal. Here is a 2 minute video clip showing segments of nearly all the groups.

LePetitBain2014concert LVL 19 Nov 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCO9hw7QCv4

and I regularly do this several times a year as the president of the cultural and artistic activities association of employees of SAP France.

Sheila Wilson wrote:

The concerts depend on funding. I've raised all the necessary funding for one conference (ELIA Networking Days, Lyon, France mid-April 2015), now working on funding and approval of concept at another conference also in June. No problem for people to submit ideas to me of conferences where this concept could be used. Yet, it needs funding for renting sound equipment and instruments in the city of the conference. I've got templates of levels of needs based on doing concerts about 3 times per month.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
With your background, I'd expect computer-generated music. Not that I want it, I hasten to add

Only real instruments for me. I don't play iPhone and iPad stuff in iBands.

Jeff

[Edited at 2015-03-11 16:22 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Great stuff! Mar 11, 2015

Jeff Allen wrote:
I organized a music concert for my company (SAP) last Nov with 9 different groups/bands of employees of SAP France playing for a total duration of 5 hours. Completely different styles starting with piano-bar up to heavy metal. Here is a 2 minute video clip showing segments of nearly all the groups.

LePetitBain2014concert LVL 19 Nov 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCO9hw7QCv4

Perfect! I love all that and it's all on here in Corralejo.

Well, my husband will be at the Rotterdam conference and he plays in local bars both on his own and with some other residents of Fuerteventura. However, he isn't a translator. And he probably wouldn't like to know I'm trying to push him up on stage . . . as usual.

It's a great idea.

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
real in-person performances Mar 11, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:
With your background, I'd expect computer-generated music. Not that I want it, I hasten to add

Jeff Allen wrote:
Only real instruments for me. I don't play iPhone and iPad stuff in iBands.

On average, I play/sing in 2-3 gigs/concerts per month in a variety of groups and bands of diverse music styles.
Much of that is up in my YouTube channel in the Music & Concert section
https://www.youtube.com/user/jeffallenfrance

These types of musical events require much collaboration in order to present a performance of decent quality and being proud of it. In turn, when people work together in such ways, this also fosters other types of collaboration and networking in the field. I've seen this happen in the software development world and hope we can do the same for the language field.

FYI, I have translated two songs (1 for my wedding and the other for a going-away party of a long-time friend). I did not use any type of computer generated translation tool to do those translations.

Jeff

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vote as well as suggest candidate names Mar 11, 2015

I've been putting all of the suggested name candidates over at the poll on Facebook since that polling platforms allows you to add items to existing polls.
Once we have a seemingly complete list in a few days, I will also create one or more polls here on ProZ (maximum of 8 entries per poll) to allow voting here as well.
Facebook group containing the poll:
"Vote for language field
... See more
I've been putting all of the suggested name candidates over at the poll on Facebook since that polling platforms allows you to add items to existing polls.
Once we have a seemingly complete list in a few days, I will also create one or more polls here on ProZ (maximum of 8 entries per poll) to allow voting here as well.
Facebook group containing the poll:
"Vote for language field music group name & logo"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/646006888860199

Jeff
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm so not surprised :) Mar 11, 2015

Jeff Allen wrote:
FYI, I have translated two songs (1 for my wedding and the other for a going-away party of a long-time friend). I did not use any type of computer generated translation tool to do those translations.

My husband has written lyrics in English and French (and one in "Nederfranglais") but won't translate them, apart from for gist. A Dutch linguist translated one from French to Dutch, taking care of syllables etc. A professional Dutch singer declared it "unsingable"!

Great clips on YouTube.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
The Mar 11, 2015

Cunning Linguists.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choose name + logo for music group of language-field people

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »