Thread poster: Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
German to English
+ ...
Jan 1, 2015

From a business and personal point of view, it makes sense to look back at what you did well, what you enjoyed, what you could have done without, what you perhaps took too much of a risk on.

Over this year I've read so many forum posts, and what crystallises is that we are all very different, and yet I am always reminded of a text I read some time ago for my degree, "on est plus semblable l'un a l'autre qu'on est different" - unfortunately don't have the book with me so it's an in
... See more
From a business and personal point of view, it makes sense to look back at what you did well, what you enjoyed, what you could have done without, what you perhaps took too much of a risk on.

Over this year I've read so many forum posts, and what crystallises is that we are all very different, and yet I am always reminded of a text I read some time ago for my degree, "on est plus semblable l'un a l'autre qu'on est different" - unfortunately don't have the book with me so it's an inaccurate quote, but essentially, "we are are more alike than we are are different".

That is a bad translation, but my point is really that self-employed translators, which in my case means full-time professional, constantly juggling marketing, working, updating glossaries, i.e. learning, we who are such translators, as well as those who are starting out, should celebrate all the things we have achieved. I am absolutely sure that each of us will have made a mess of something, different things (formatting, invoice, missing out a cc on delivery, tiny spelling mistake, massive huge disaster, computer or personal error), but that is now all in the past.

Having learned from your experience, however long it is, and however confident you feel, please share what you want to do better, or do more of, or try out, in the coming year.

Link for the book I was talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathalie_Sarraute
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:00
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Concise Jan 1, 2015

I am sorry this will be very short because I did not really give it much thought.

1. Be healthy.
2. Enjoy what life has to offer.
3. Be professional in your business.
4. Look at the future rather than the past.
5. ...

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
Local time: 11:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
A modest plan Jan 2, 2015

I plan to read 12 books (average page 400) in English and another 12 books in Chinese.

I also plan to set up myself professionally as a translator and I hope to make some progress in carrying out this plan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Year's Resolutions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »