Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: Does this website a friend made for me look professional enough?
Thread poster: José Guedes
Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
United States
Local time: 05:37
Italian to English
+ ...
My thoughts Nov 14, 2014

I think you either need a snappy catchphrase or a quick line or two about what it is that you do on the front page. Something like [Your name, [language] to [language] translator] and a quick "My translations are... blah blah blah." Otherwise someone visiting your page has no idea who you are and what you do!

Shameless plug: my own sit
... See more
I think you either need a snappy catchphrase or a quick line or two about what it is that you do on the front page. Something like [Your name, [language] to [language] translator] and a quick "My translations are... blah blah blah." Otherwise someone visiting your page has no idea who you are and what you do!

Shameless plug: my own site at www.audratranslates.com or www.translationgirl.com.
Collapse

José Guedes
José Guedes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a Nov 14, 2014

Audra de Falco wrote:

Shameless plug: my own site at www.audratranslates.com or www.translationgirl.com.

Thanks a lot for your comment!

Your websites are very nice. Did you make them yourself or did you hire a designer? Also, why do you have two? Is it just so you are easier to find through search engines?

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Finally ^_^ Nov 14, 2014

I finally had a little free time and was able to finish my video on making a free website with an easy to use online system (a CMS called Weebly).

I just uploaded it to YouTube and you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoG0yrFH9Cw

José Guedes
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a Nov 14, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

I finally had a little free time and was able to finish my video on making a free website with an easy to use online system (a CMS called Weebly).

I just uploaded it to YouTube and you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoG0yrFH9Cw

Thanks a lot for the video! CMSs seem very simple and incredibly efficient! I especially liked that you can quickly make an e-commerce website.

However, I have been the one who's been working on the website for the past few versions and now it has become sort of a personal project. I really want to do it through Photoshop, which I am learning myself as well. I'm also learning CSS, HTML, javascript, ajax and some other stuff.

I think my problem has less to do with technique and more to do with creativity/not having a good enough "designer eye". I can copy relatively complex websites just from looking, but making one from scratch is a lot harder. Especially since so many websites today (and probably over 80% of the websites listed here awwwards.com/) use stock photos, and I find it so very hard to pick one for my own site.

For example, Audra's website (http://www.audratranslates.com/) uses many images that have little or nothing to do with translating. I think this looks fine or even very good for other people's sites, but when I try to pick one for my own I'm always self-conscious and think it looks awful.

What do you think about the current version? Any suggestions as to how it could be improved?

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Who says you need them? Nov 14, 2014

I think you're heading in the right direction. If you don't like stock images, why not leave them out all together? If you have a lot of blank space, you might want to try a graph or something. I personally like using references that I have received from clients in place of images. You can make a neat looking text/image and place it where you would normally put a picture. Doing that will still help spruce up a "boring" page and better support your professional experience.

The main
... See more
I think you're heading in the right direction. If you don't like stock images, why not leave them out all together? If you have a lot of blank space, you might want to try a graph or something. I personally like using references that I have received from clients in place of images. You can make a neat looking text/image and place it where you would normally put a picture. Doing that will still help spruce up a "boring" page and better support your professional experience.

The main thing is to focus on your content (including your call to action). You can have all the images, CSSs and flash elements or whatever, making the coolest looking website ever, but if you don't have good content, there's no reason for it. We try to work on the content first, and then design the site around it. Draw out a map of your site, decide what information is going on each page, and decide how to best show that information individually.

The nice thing about CMSs is that you can make changes to your site quickly and easily, but a lot of times they lack the customization that designers want. Weebly, the CMS I used in the video, can help bridge that gap as you have full access to the HTML and CSS files under the Design tab. I meant to include that in the video, but the file didn't save correctly.
Collapse

José Guedes
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a Nov 18, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

The main thing is to focus on your content (including your call to action). You can have all the images, CSSs and flash elements or whatever, making the coolest looking website ever, but if you don't have good content, there's no reason for it. We try to work on the content first, and then design the site around it. Draw out a map of your site, decide what information is going on each page, and decide how to best show that information individually.

The nice thing about CMSs is that you can make changes to your site quickly and easily, but a lot of times they lack the customization that designers want. Weebly, the CMS I used in the video, can help bridge that gap as you have full access to the HTML and CSS files under the Design tab. I meant to include that in the video, but the file didn't save correctly.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

I am going to try and finish the content first, and see if that helps. I will work on it for a while then post the result here!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does this website a friend made for me look professional enough?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »