Thread poster: Lavinia Pirlog
Lavinia Pirlog
Lavinia Pirlog  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:25
Spanish to Romanian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2014

Does anyone know what happened to Osito?
Thank you.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:25
Catalan to English
+ ...
She (sic) was a fraud. Sep 24, 2014

Lavinia Pirlog wrote:

Thank you.

Not much else to say.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Once upon a time there was an Oso Sep 25, 2014

who helped a lot to the prozian community, mainly with kudoz questions, but it seems that Oso was using a fake profile, or in fact more than one profile. When that fact was discovered, she or he never came back.

Regards

Clarisa

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We miss Oso Sep 25, 2014

I have always asked myself the same question. He was a great colleague years back, but it seems he was the last one of his species.

Lavinia Pirlog
Lavinia Pirlog  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:25
Spanish to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You mean Oso was a SHE? Sep 25, 2014

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Lavinia Pirlog wrote:

Thank you.

Not much else to say.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Oso was a she Sep 25, 2014

Apparently Oso, off the site for close to ten years now, was female and worked together with a daughter and perhaps others and used false registrations to accumulate fraudulent points in EnglishSpanish. How it worked was that her daughter and/or others (or she herself) would feed questions into Proz for which she had the answers already worked out, which she would then post within minutes or even seconds. The answers also appeared to be well-researched and I just wondered how a person could do a... See more
Apparently Oso, off the site for close to ten years now, was female and worked together with a daughter and perhaps others and used false registrations to accumulate fraudulent points in EnglishSpanish. How it worked was that her daughter and/or others (or she herself) would feed questions into Proz for which she had the answers already worked out, which she would then post within minutes or even seconds. The answers also appeared to be well-researched and I just wondered how a person could do all that and be so fast. I knew that as long as Oso was there, I had no chance of beating him (or her as it turned out). Oso and I did have a cordial relationship on Proz and occasionally communicated. I pictured Oso as an affable man, a bit overweight, sitting in front of a computer all day long (at night too!) and right on top of everything that was happening at Proz in his language pair. He/she was always very courteous and helpful.

On an occasion I was going to be close to the area where Oso was supposedly based, San José, California, I invited him (or her as it turned out) to get together personally. His name was supposedly Nicolás Lomelín or Lomelino. He/she begged off using some sort of an excuse. Later, Oso supposedly was declared insane and was confined in some sort of mental hospital or institution against his will, but apparently had access to a computer. He/she informed translators registered on Proz of the situation and they became very alarmed and tried to do something for him/her to gain his release. I don't recall every detail, but it was then that some colleagues, I think mostly from Argentina, started looking into Oso's case, and they began to suspect that Oso was a fraud and they were later able to confirm it.

I recall having direct e-mail contact with one of the Argentine colleagues who explained things to me and told me that Oso was actually a woman masquerading as a man, and somehow she was even able to falsely confirm Oso's identity to Proz. In any case, with all this, Oso was dropped from the site never to return. But if you go back far enough, you can find questions that were answered by Oso. I think there is another Oso now, but surely no relation.

There's more, but that is what I recall, it's an interesting story.
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:25
French to English
+ ...
Fascinating Sep 25, 2014

Henry Hinds wrote:

...The answers also appeared to be well-researched and I just wondered how a person could do all that and be so fast. .... I pictured Oso as an affable man, a bit overweight, sitting in front of a computer all day long (at night too!) and right on top of everything that was happening at Proz in his language pair...

That's just how I imagined "him" too.
Thank you Henry!

[Edited at 2014-09-25 19:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-25 19:20 GMT]

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
It was sad Sep 25, 2014

It was a sad conclusion, because "Oso" actually had a fascinating and positive personality and contributed a lot to Proz and to those of us who are translators in the EnglishSpanish pair. I cannot but assume that the lady impersonating him was actually a very talented individual who did not have to resort to fraud to secure fame. She could have done it legitimately. Besides, what good are Kudoz points or Browniz anyway? I have tons of both and cannot buy so much as a beer or a cup of coffee with... See more
It was a sad conclusion, because "Oso" actually had a fascinating and positive personality and contributed a lot to Proz and to those of us who are translators in the EnglishSpanish pair. I cannot but assume that the lady impersonating him was actually a very talented individual who did not have to resort to fraud to secure fame. She could have done it legitimately. Besides, what good are Kudoz points or Browniz anyway? I have tons of both and cannot buy so much as a beer or a cup of coffee with them. It was so sad, I just ask "why"?Collapse

Rachel Fell
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
So Sep 25, 2014

...you mean he existed but she took over his "persona"? But yes, why indeed.

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
He never existed Sep 25, 2014

She invented his persona. I really should not have said "impersonating", because that might imply that he actually existed. I should have said "who created him". But until it was discovered that he was a fake, many of us really liked him. That's why I say it's so sad, his creator could have been appreciated for her own merits.

Rachel Fell
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I see Sep 25, 2014

Thank you for clarifying. Yes; strange, too.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Very old story Sep 26, 2014

There was a profile with username "Oso" that received a red card in September 2006 (and was therefore excluded from ProZ.com) after breaking several site rules.
As far as staff knows, there is no currently active profile related to the original Oso.
Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz user named Oso

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »