Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 00:42
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2014

Hello

I don't work with Lionbridge for translation work, but I've been approached by their Finnish branch for SIM card testing (I buy a postpaid SIM card, and send it to them, they cover all my costs etc.).

Has anybody ever done this for them and have any feedback?

You can send me a PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks in advance.

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:42
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not for them... Apr 10, 2014

but I've done it for some other companies ...

It's nice work - I did get them to pay in advance for the 1 year of subscription (for over 10 different providers at the time) ! Since I did not want to run the risk of being stuck with unpaid bills, if they decided to cancel the project.

Have fun !

Ed

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 00:42
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Liability? Apr 10, 2014

Thanks Ed.

This would just be for one local provider and they've already stated that they would pay me in advance for a year's subscription.

However as I don't exactly know what their testing involves (other than the fact they've asked me to make sure roaming is enabled on the SIM card) I'm rather worried about my liability if they were to run up a large phone bill with calls that fall outside the subscription plan.

modakku
modakku
India
doubt Apr 17, 2014

I have never heard about SIM card testing before.
Does it gives good money?

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Declined politely Apr 17, 2014

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:

However as I don't exactly know what their testing involves (other than the fact they've asked me to make sure roaming is enabled on the SIM card) I'm rather worried about my liability if they were to run up a large phone bill with calls that fall outside the subscription plan.

They were not clear at all about what their testing involves. They only said they would pay for the plan and for the shipping. No mention of any compensation, so I asked. The compensation they had in mind was a VERY LOW hourly fee, about 33% of what I normally charge (for signing up and sending them the SIM card). So it was not a very interesting offer. Besides, I'd rather translate than run errands for someone else!

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here is a similar thread Apr 17, 2014

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/251140-bizarre_offer_re_cell_phone_testing.html

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Huge risk, small return Apr 20, 2014

Whenever you look into a new "business" you have to look at the risk/return ratio. In this case your risk is basically unlimited (you have absolutely no idea what they will be doing with a roaming phone that is registered in your name) and the return is very small, so there is absolutely no incentive to do this.

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Did it with prepaid May 15, 2014

I did the testing for them with prepaid cards (btw, their Finnish branch is for testing, they don't deal with translations). They do it for Nokia, actually.
They sent me all the devices necessary, defrayed all the cost, and I did not actually have much work to do, apart from obtaining the cards. Plug the device in and leave it alone. They pay, as far as I can recall, 20e/h.
Later they asked me to go with postpaid option, but it was too much of a hassle to get the roaming activated
... See more
I did the testing for them with prepaid cards (btw, their Finnish branch is for testing, they don't deal with translations). They do it for Nokia, actually.
They sent me all the devices necessary, defrayed all the cost, and I did not actually have much work to do, apart from obtaining the cards. Plug the device in and leave it alone. They pay, as far as I can recall, 20e/h.
Later they asked me to go with postpaid option, but it was too much of a hassle to get the roaming activated on new cards, so it kind of died down.
In any case, I worked a few times for them (Finnish dept., I mean), and it was always OK. That's my experience, though. Maybe someone else did get so well.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SIM card testing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »