Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: How is the year 2014 said in English?
Thread poster: Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:58
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2014

I haven't been to Britain for some time and therefore haven't heard anyone saying the year in English. The last time I was there, people were still saying 'Two thousand and...'.

Is it more common to say 'Two thousand and fourteen' or 'Twenty fourteen'? I've been looking on the Internet but there doesn't seem to be a general agreement.

I would appreciate any comments because a) I am interested to know and b) Spanish people ask me and seem quite surprised when I tell the
... See more
I haven't been to Britain for some time and therefore haven't heard anyone saying the year in English. The last time I was there, people were still saying 'Two thousand and...'.

Is it more common to say 'Two thousand and fourteen' or 'Twenty fourteen'? I've been looking on the Internet but there doesn't seem to be a general agreement.

I would appreciate any comments because a) I am interested to know and b) Spanish people ask me and seem quite surprised when I tell them I don't know!
Collapse

Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Twenty fourteen Mar 27, 2014

And in America we don't necessarily pronounce the second 't' in 'twenty' > "twenny fourteen"

'Two thousand fourteen' is okay but a bit formal.

Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:58
Member (2013)
German to English
Personal preference... Mar 27, 2014

For years up to 2010 I say 'two thousand and ....', but for years 2010 onwards I say 'twenty ...'

It makes sense to me to say 'twenty...', because that is what we do in English for every other year in the 19th century and before, but the 2000s seem to have presented a problem!

In Britain, both are acceptable. Most people still say 'two thousand and fourteen', but both variations are equally correct.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
20 - 14 Mar 27, 2014

'Twenty fourteen' is how I usually say it...

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Not a problem Mar 27, 2014

In a mere 86 years, we can stop worrying about it

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I blame Stanley Kubrick... Mar 27, 2014

The system was long established, no hiccups.

And then the year 2000 came near, and all of a sudden everyone was calling it "two thousand" instead of "twenty hundred" which is what it should have been according to what we'd been doing up until then.

But in the meantime we had all heard of a film... and the publicity for that film was clearly saying "two thousand and one".

As Nick says, for the first decade, we then followed this new-fangled practice - but
... See more

And then the year 2000 came near, and all of a sudden everyone was calling it "two thousand" instead of "twenty hundred" which is what it should have been according to what we'd been doing up until then.

But in the meantime we had all heard of a film... and the publicity for that film was clearly saying "two thousand and one".

As Nick says, for the first decade, we then followed this new-fangled practice - but I was sure that we would revert to the old system - so much easier to say "twenty thirty-seven" than "two thousand and thirty-seven". And what about 2137? Mind you, as I commented this morning in a seminar when the subject arose, I don't really care - I shall be long dead!

I took my lead to revert to the old system from the run up to the "twenty twelve" Olympics, by the way.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Names of decades Mar 27, 2014

Nick Brisland wrote:

For years up to 2010 ...

An off-topic question on this off-topic thread:

Out of interest, what would you call that decade? If the previous one was the "nineties" would it be the "o's"?

And what about the current decade? The tens???

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The noughties Mar 27, 2014

we've been away too long!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Mar 27, 2014

The BBC took about eight or nine years to stop saying "two thousand and" and start saying the more logical "twenty". And then they came up with a brilliant comedy series called Twenty Twelve.

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
A bit formal he says!!! Mar 27, 2014

Tim Friese wrote:

'Two thousand fourteen' is okay but a bit formal.

Ahahah, I find this hilarious!!

Only English speakers can say that it's a problem when you speak too formally!!
French is almost at the other end of the spectrum, with a formality bar pretty high...

I suspect that someday English speakers will say "two o one four" because "twenty fourteen" will be too formal...

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'2001: A Space Odyssey' seems plausible Mar 27, 2014

Noni Gilbert wrote:

And 'noughties' made me laugh, too!

However, I have a feeling that sometime in the future people in English-speaking countries will start referring to the '20-hundreds', and forget all about the decade when they tried to change something that had worked perfectly well for over a thousand years.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
I prefer 'the two-thousands' Mar 28, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Nick Brisland wrote:

For years up to 2010 ...

Out of interest, what would you call that decade? If the previous one was the "nineties" would it be the "o's"?

I prefer 'the two-thousands' but you'll also hear 'the naughts'

modakku
modakku
India
ya Apr 19, 2014

I think two thousand fourteen is the best way to say.
twenty fourteen doesn't look good.

Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
... Jul 9, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Nick Brisland wrote:

For years up to 2010 ...

Sorry for the late reply - I'd forgotten that I'd posted in this thread!

For 2000-2009, I say 'the two thousands'. I've never liked the phrase 'noughties'.

For 2010-2019, I would say 'twenty tens'. I'm not sure what to do after that. The problem is, when you talk about 'the twenties', or 'the thirties', don't most people automatically think about the 1920s and 1930s?

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I Jul 9, 2014

live in the UK and say "two thousand and fourteen". I am not sure about the decade, though would probably say the "twenty tens" for now. The "noughties" (n.b. sp.) is also still used.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is the year 2014 said in English?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »