Off topic: Hiding Edith: A true Story in Spanish
Thread poster: Angel Molina
Angel Molina
Angel Molina
United States
Dec 5, 2013

I am not sure where else to post this, sorry if there is a Request thread that I could have posted this in, but I did not see it at the time.

I have been trying to acquire Hiding Edith: A True Story by Kathy Kacer in Spanish as a gift to someone special. I have been looking online for a while now but I can not find it in that language. I was wondering, as a last resort, if I could hire someone or some group to custom translate it. I have no idea where to begin such a procedure, so a
... See more
I am not sure where else to post this, sorry if there is a Request thread that I could have posted this in, but I did not see it at the time.

I have been trying to acquire Hiding Edith: A True Story by Kathy Kacer in Spanish as a gift to someone special. I have been looking online for a while now but I can not find it in that language. I was wondering, as a last resort, if I could hire someone or some group to custom translate it. I have no idea where to begin such a procedure, so any information at all would be completely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:35
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Post it as a job Dec 5, 2013

You might get some useful replies from this forum post, but you would probably do better to post it as a job. Use this link:

http://www.proz.com/post-translation-job/

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ask the Author Dec 5, 2013

Angel Molina wrote:

I have been trying to acquire Hiding Edith: A True Story by Kathy Kacer in Spanish as a gift to someone special. I have been looking online for a while now but I can not find it in that language. I was wondering, as a last resort, if I could hire someone or some group to custom translate it. I have no idea where to begin such a procedure, so any information at all would be completely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Why not ask the Author? Here's her website http://www.kathykacer.com/blog2/

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Commissioning a translation would be too expensive Dec 6, 2013

If you only want to send one copy of the book to someone, it would not be worth the cost of having it translated. I have translated two novels myself (from Russian into English), and without knowing the rates charged for English to Spanish, I would think that for, say, a 150,000 word novel, it could cost you maybe US$0.08 per word, which would be US$12,000.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Efforts so far Dec 6, 2013

I found this Portuguese wikipedia page about the Portuguese translation:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiding_Edith

(Escondendo Ed
... See more
I found this Portuguese wikipedia page about the Portuguese translation:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiding_Edith

(Escondendo Edith: uma história real): http://books.google.com.br/books?id=rpOlPgAACAAJ&dq="Escondendo%20Edith"&ei=4M3US4zrMoXcygST4J3SCQ&cd=1

So getting closer
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
English to Spanish
A custom translation - How the cost of things is perceived Dec 7, 2013

Jack Doughty wrote:
Commissioning a translation would be too expensive

If you only want to send one copy of the book to someone, it would not be worth the cost of having it translated. I have translated two novels myself (from Russian into English), and without knowing the rates charged for English to Spanish, I would think that for, say, a 150,000 word novel, it could cost you maybe US$0.08 per word, which would be US$12,000.

I have a feeling the OP expected to pay an amount in the US$23.65 - US$35.90 range or so for the whole translation work, like he would pay for a book.

I mean, he is talking about giving the translation as a gift, he is not thinking about a possible business venture in the publishing industry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding Edith: A true Story in Spanish

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »