Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What's your favorite store/chain/brand in the world for 'translation' coffee?
Thread poster: Preston Decker
KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 23:00
Russian to German
+ ...
home: Lavazza (moka pot); out: filter/drip coffee! Oct 15, 2013

Most of the time, I drink home-brewed Lavazza from my classic moka pot. When I'm out and about, I often stop by a small coffeeshop I discovered recently for - yes! - drip coffee. The staff there knows absolutely EVERYTHING there is to know about coffee, and their drip coffee is to die for. I would even go so far as to consider it a whole new beverage, since it's got absolutely nothing to do with what I used to drink from my mom's good old drip coffee maker. It's actually more of a tea experience... See more
Most of the time, I drink home-brewed Lavazza from my classic moka pot. When I'm out and about, I often stop by a small coffeeshop I discovered recently for - yes! - drip coffee. The staff there knows absolutely EVERYTHING there is to know about coffee, and their drip coffee is to die for. I would even go so far as to consider it a whole new beverage, since it's got absolutely nothing to do with what I used to drink from my mom's good old drip coffee maker. It's actually more of a tea experience that allows you to really taste all the flavour that's in there, instead of just the usual bitterness that covers up everything else.Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
Hebrew to English
Chain tea drinker Oct 15, 2013

Never been a massive fan of coffee, always approached it with a "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude. Tea on the other hand I tend to chain drink, especially in winter.

Back to coffee - it took me a while to get used to the way some Israelis drink their "Turkish" style coffee, which they call בוץ - "mud" (the granules being left in the mug to sink to the bottom - you quickly learn to never try to take the last gulp).

I am quite fond of Greek Frappé, but it's rarely hot e
... See more
Never been a massive fan of coffee, always approached it with a "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude. Tea on the other hand I tend to chain drink, especially in winter.

Back to coffee - it took me a while to get used to the way some Israelis drink their "Turkish" style coffee, which they call בוץ - "mud" (the granules being left in the mug to sink to the bottom - you quickly learn to never try to take the last gulp).

I am quite fond of Greek Frappé, but it's rarely hot enough in England to drink much of it.

I share some of the other posters' distaste for chain coffee stores - imo Starbucks is massively overpriced, Costas is...."meh" and Caffè Nero is probably best out of a bad bunch.

However, I do have a soft spot for "Drucker's" ( http://www.druckers.co.uk/ ) which used to do a mean hot chocolate!!!!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Brands Oct 15, 2013

When I lived in Italy I was able to go to small coffee blending shops with marvellous big glass containers holding different kinds of coffee beans, toasted to various degrees in various ways. There was a dispenser at the bottom of each container. There and then, advised by the shopkeeper, I could have my very own blend made up. The shopkeeper would grind it for me, or I could take the beans home and grind them myself. The only brand was the name of the coffee-seller's shop, on the paper bag.
... See more
When I lived in Italy I was able to go to small coffee blending shops with marvellous big glass containers holding different kinds of coffee beans, toasted to various degrees in various ways. There was a dispenser at the bottom of each container. There and then, advised by the shopkeeper, I could have my very own blend made up. The shopkeeper would grind it for me, or I could take the beans home and grind them myself. The only brand was the name of the coffee-seller's shop, on the paper bag.

I can't find anything like that here in London.

Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:00
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all for the posts. Oct 15, 2013

Looks like I'm one of the few to be attached to any chain's coffee, probably stems from the fact that I'm American and from the Boston area. I'd say the attitude of most (obviously not all) people I know in Boston is either: 1. It's really (descriptive adjective and Boston accent optional) cold outside, I'd better go to Dunkin's for a hot coffee OR 2. It's really (descriptive adjective and Boston accent both optional) hot outside, I'd better go to Dunkin's for a cold coffee.

Seems
... See more
Looks like I'm one of the few to be attached to any chain's coffee, probably stems from the fact that I'm American and from the Boston area. I'd say the attitude of most (obviously not all) people I know in Boston is either: 1. It's really (descriptive adjective and Boston accent optional) cold outside, I'd better go to Dunkin's for a hot coffee OR 2. It's really (descriptive adjective and Boston accent both optional) hot outside, I'd better go to Dunkin's for a cold coffee.

Seems like almost all of the posts have come from those living in Europe, would be curious to know what your opinions are of non-chain coffee in the States and/or in Asia? I've never been to Europe, but will definitely have coffee on the mind whenever I do go! Have to say that when I do venture outside the world of chain coffee and breakfast restaurant coffee in the States I've had very mixed results. Then again, perhaps this is because I primarily drink iced coffee, even in winter. China is less of a mixed bag then an overall empty bag in terms of taste/quality at non-chain (relatively cheap) places IMHO, although I will say that cafe environment is usually much nicer than back home. Going to more upscale places- usually restaurants masquerading as cafes, or vice versa- brings somewhat better results. Overall I'd put Thailand a step above both mainland China and Hong Kong for coffee.

Would love to try that Turkish coffee one of the above posters was talking about!
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Remembering the coffee served in German bakeries Oct 15, 2013

When you asked where to go for coffee in Europe I was reminded of the drink one would get served in German bakeries, where some people would go for "coffee and cake" on Sundays or to have breakfast early on a workday. They served an unspeakably evil brew. I believe many of the old coffee machines (dripping machines where hot water just passes a tiny little spoon of milled coffee) have been replaced by now, so it's probably safe. But a real "Cafe" should always be preferred to a bakery.
... See more
When you asked where to go for coffee in Europe I was reminded of the drink one would get served in German bakeries, where some people would go for "coffee and cake" on Sundays or to have breakfast early on a workday. They served an unspeakably evil brew. I believe many of the old coffee machines (dripping machines where hot water just passes a tiny little spoon of milled coffee) have been replaced by now, so it's probably safe. But a real "Cafe" should always be preferred to a bakery.

If you ever happen to come to Dortmund, don't miss Cafe Kleimann. They have good coffee, waffles to die for and an very old parrot that will watch you drink your coffee (and have a chat with you, if she's in the mood). Absolutely great place. No WiFi, though. And in Cologne, Cafe Reichard near the cathedral - more for the atmosphere than for anything else. Who needs a coffee chain if you have places like that?
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Turkish coffee Oct 15, 2013

Preston,
Making "Turkish" coffee mentioned by Ty is really easy - you heap a teaspoonful of ground coffee into a cup and pour hot water on it. Add milk and/or sugar if you like.
It has a somewhat peculiar taste, different than brewed coffee. Personally I don't like it very much, but in Poland it is also quite popular. When visiting family or friends, especially older people, I quickly learned to ask for tea, beacuse coffee would almost invariably be served in the "Turkish" style.
... See more
Preston,
Making "Turkish" coffee mentioned by Ty is really easy - you heap a teaspoonful of ground coffee into a cup and pour hot water on it. Add milk and/or sugar if you like.
It has a somewhat peculiar taste, different than brewed coffee. Personally I don't like it very much, but in Poland it is also quite popular. When visiting family or friends, especially older people, I quickly learned to ask for tea, beacuse coffee would almost invariably be served in the "Turkish" style.

True Turkish coffee is made in a similar way, but you actually boil it for a while in a special copper (or brass) pot. I don't know how to make it. You have to be careful because it runs out of the pot quite easily.

https://www.google.pl/search?q=turkish%20coffee%20pot&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=5kW&rls=org.mozilla:pl:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=55pdUpH1BsrFtQadzYFg&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1241&bih=654

Starbucks and Coffee Heaven have become quite popular in Poland, but like I mentioned - coffee to go in a paper cup is just not my cup of tea I am also not a big fan of flavoured coffees, so places like this are just not meant for me...

[Edited at 2013-10-15 20:11 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
The real thing Oct 16, 2013

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Who needs a coffee chain if you have places like that?

Precisely.

It's like architecture. Americans build parks like Disneyland with reproductions of dinky olde worlde villages to conjure up a Pinocchio theme, but we can just go to Tuscany to enjoy the real thing (with real coffee and real Chianti).

Oh and Tom, I have my capuccino for elevenses so not guilty

Kay Denney
France
French to English
paper chains... Oct 16, 2013

PAS wrote:

True Turkish coffee is made in a similar way, but you actually boil it for a while in a special copper (or brass) pot. I don't know how to make it. You have to be careful because it runs out of the pot quite easily.

https://www.google.pl/search?q=turkish%20coffee%20pot&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=5kW&rls=org.mozilla:pl:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=55pdUpH1BsrFtQadzYFg&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1241&bih=654

Starbucks and Coffee Heaven have become quite popular in Poland, but like I mentioned - coffee to go in a paper cup is just not my cup of tea I am also not a big fan of flavoured coffees, so places like this are just not meant for me...

[Edited at 2013-10-15 20:11 GMT]

My Serbian neighbour makes a wicked cup of Turkish coffee. She boils up the freshly-ground coffee with sugar already added, in a special little brass jug. She does keep her eye on it to prevent it from boiling over. It's got to the point where I just have to see her to want some!

And I agree wholeheartedly about the paper and plastic cups. Nothing ruins the taste quite like disposable!

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Flavoured coffee = heaven Oct 16, 2013

PAS wrote:
I am also not a big fan of flavoured coffees, so places like this are just not meant for me...

I have to disagree in that flavoured coffees are probably the *only* attraction for me in certain chain stores. I am quite partial to a hazelnut, caramel or vanilla infused coffee

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Israeli 'Turkish' Coffee Oct 16, 2013

Usually has cardamom in it, which I despise with a passion, interestingly called הֶל in Hebrew, pronounced "Hell" - which I find quite appropriate, the taste is unholy.

http://www.israelikitchen.com/everyday-cooking/turkish-coffee/

Kay Denney
France
French to English
real flavour... Oct 16, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

PAS wrote:
I am also not a big fan of flavoured coffees, so places like this are just not meant for me...

I have to disagree in that flavoured coffees are probably the *only* attraction for me in certain chain stores. I am quite partial to a hazelnut, caramel or vanilla infused coffee

If I see a place is offering flavoured coffee, I can only assume that the actual coffee can't have much of a kick to it.

Same goes for tea too. Gimme a propa cuppa, none of that fancy stuff!

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Flavoured teas = yuck Oct 17, 2013

Texte Style wrote:
If I see a place is offering flavoured coffee, I can only assume that the actual coffee can't have much of a kick to it.

Whilst I like flavoured coffees, I really can't abide flavoured teas. I can stretch to an Earl Grey which could be considered a "flavoured" tea, but apart from that nope. Just gimme plain old regular tea.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
regular or ordinary? Oct 17, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

Whilst I like flavoured coffees, I really can't abide flavoured teas. I can stretch to an Earl Grey which could be considered a "flavoured" tea, but apart from that nope. Just gimme plain old regular tea.

Ty I'm surprised at you there!

Has "regular" really ousted "ordinary" or is this just a sign of you spending too much time in US coffee chains?

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Oops, don't let the prescriptivists see! Oct 17, 2013

Texte Style wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

Ty I'm surprised at you there!

Has "regular" really ousted "ordinary" or is this just a sign of you spending too much time in US coffee chains?

Lol! I don't think it's ousted it but I'd say it's used alongside it

Or maybe it's because the Hebrew word for ordinary sounds more like regular (רגיל - ragil).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I love that Oct 18, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Usually has cardamom in it

My Lebanese friends serve coffee that way - deliciously aromatic !

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your favorite store/chain/brand in the world for 'translation' coffee?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »