Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:09
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 19, 2013

I will be in London, october 21st until october 24th. My 13 year old son will be there with me. It's HIS trip with mom. We will go for the London Pass to visit all kinds of places. But where is the good food? We want a genuine English breakfast and a traditional afternoon tea, but without dressing up to much ( he lives in his sneakers, really). Not to forget the fish 'n chips! Has anyone got names of good restaurants or pubs? We will be staying in Notting Hill/Kensington region.

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't forget sausage and mash! Sep 19, 2013

I love the S&M café (Sausage and Mash café) in Portobello road. I hope it's still there! They have all sorts of different types of sausage (including veggie sausages) and different types of mash and different choices of gravy and you can get a big mug of tea with it. It's my favourite place for quintessential English comfort food.

Chiara Sodi
Chiara Sodi
Italy
English to Italian
afternoon tea Sep 19, 2013

I left London a couple of years ago, but before leaving my friend and I went for afternoon tea at the Royal Garden Hotel (if i'm not mistaken). It's in High Street Kensington, just next to Kensington Palace and a couple of minutes walk from the tube station. I don't think they had a dress code as we were both wearing jeans and were not refused service.
Though we went a bit late in the afternoon, they gave us plenty of time to have our tea in peace and have a chat. Service was good and tea
... See more
I left London a couple of years ago, but before leaving my friend and I went for afternoon tea at the Royal Garden Hotel (if i'm not mistaken). It's in High Street Kensington, just next to Kensington Palace and a couple of minutes walk from the tube station. I don't think they had a dress code as we were both wearing jeans and were not refused service.
Though we went a bit late in the afternoon, they gave us plenty of time to have our tea in peace and have a chat. Service was good and tea menu with plenty of choices, so much that we asked for advice. The waiter's choice was good.
It wasn't cheap, but the price was average. Tea is served with the usual selection of sandwiches and warm scones with jam and clotted cream and small selection of cakes. At first glance we thought they could have offered more, but in the end we just about managed to finish it. I think i skipped dinner that day.
Maybe you could have a look at their website to have an idea of the prices. We went to a restaurant on the ground floor, but they might have another higher up.

You could also try Fortnum and Mason's in Piccadilly. They used to have a great afternoon tea served on the fourth floor, beautiful room and at the time no dress code. I haven't been in a while so I'm not sure what has changed. I think they serve one in the restaurant at the mezzanine floor too (opposite main entrance on Piccadilly).

Someone I know has also been to the Ritz (Piccadilly) and the Dorchester Hotel (Park Lane). I think they preferred the one at the Dorchester.

Afternoon Tea doesn't come cheap, but sometimes the experience is really worth the price.

I'm in London in about 10 days, i might be able to come up with something else then.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Indian is typical in London! Sep 19, 2013

If you want to eat well in London, go to an Indian restaurant! Just about anywhere where you see more Indians eating than whites. Sorry I can't name either the restaurant or even the street I last ate in. The smell lured me in and I didn't regret it in the least.

And I think Fortnum and Mason's is one of those institutions that just never change isn't it?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not an expert Sep 19, 2013

We used an offer from the railway agency we traveled and got a coupon for 5'o clock tea for two at 17 GBP at some hotel restaurant of our choosing. Generally we were disappointed by English tea, because everywhere they serve tea-bags only. I remember a small Irish pub somewhere around Leicester Sq. where I had delicious Irish stew and a pint of Guiness for GBP 5.95. Fish and chips is good everywhere IMO. At a stand at The Mall/James Park I ate the best sausage ever.

Of course there
... See more
We used an offer from the railway agency we traveled and got a coupon for 5'o clock tea for two at 17 GBP at some hotel restaurant of our choosing. Generally we were disappointed by English tea, because everywhere they serve tea-bags only. I remember a small Irish pub somewhere around Leicester Sq. where I had delicious Irish stew and a pint of Guiness for GBP 5.95. Fish and chips is good everywhere IMO. At a stand at The Mall/James Park I ate the best sausage ever.

Of course there is so much different cuisine in London that every body will find a fitting restaurant.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Timeout might be helpful: Sep 19, 2013

http://www.timeout.com/london/food-drink

Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:09
English to Hindi
+ ...
The Savoy, Woodlands, Tayyabs Sep 19, 2013

The Savoy does afternoon teas, at about the same price as the Ritz. My wife loves the vegetarian South Indian food at Woodlands (Central London) and my daughter has been urging us to visit Tayyabs (North Indian/ Punjabi) but it is slightly out of the way in Whitechapel.

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I second Piyush Sep 20, 2013

Or at least your wife
I absolutely adore Woodlands!!! I go for a meal there every time I go to London.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Chinese also Sep 20, 2013

Texte Style wrote:
If you want to eat well in London, go to an Indian restaurant! Just about anywhere where you see more Indians eating than whites. Sorry I can't name either the restaurant or even the street I last ate in. The smell lured me in and I didn't regret it in the least.

I think similar remarks apply to Chinese restaurants, especially in Soho, where there are lots of Chinese (including English/Chinese) people, e.g. Gerrard Street and neighbouring streets.
Oliver

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Butler's Wharf Chop House Sep 21, 2013

I like the Butler's Wharf Chop House right on the Thames with a fabulous view of Tower Bridge. It's close to London Bridge Tube station and you have to walk through the old converted warehouses, now a really trendy area, to get there. It's close to the London Dungeon too, which might appeal to your son. The food is very traditional British food and has always been excellent whenever I've been. They used to do special offer fixed-price lunches, not sure whether they still do, but I don't think it... See more
I like the Butler's Wharf Chop House right on the Thames with a fabulous view of Tower Bridge. It's close to London Bridge Tube station and you have to walk through the old converted warehouses, now a really trendy area, to get there. It's close to the London Dungeon too, which might appeal to your son. The food is very traditional British food and has always been excellent whenever I've been. They used to do special offer fixed-price lunches, not sure whether they still do, but I don't think it's too expensive at lunchtime given the quality of the food.

http://www.chophouse-restaurant.co.uk/

Mmm, current sample menu sounds delicious: I'll have the Cornish monkfish scampi, chips & tartare sauce followed by Black bread and sultana pudding with liquorice & blackcurrant ripple ice cream, thanks!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
In NOtting Hill Sep 21, 2013

Angelique Blommaert wrote:

I will be in London, october 21st until october 24th. My 13 year old son will be there with me. It's HIS trip with mom. We will go for the London Pass to visit all kinds of places. But where is the good food? We want a genuine English breakfast and a traditional afternoon tea, but without dressing up to much ( he lives in his sneakers, really). Not to forget the fish 'n chips! Has anyone got names of good restaurants or pubs? We will be staying in Notting Hill/Kensington region.

Take it from a Londoner: eating in Notting Hill itself may be your best option because the further you go into central London, the more problematic it becomes. However in central London, Soho always offers interesting options, especially in the southern part, which consists of several streets of nothing but Chinese restaurants. Choose a crowded one where you see lots of Chinese people eating. But don't try eating in central London at lunchtime - it's too hectic and they'll shoo you out as soon as you finish eating !

Notting Hill has Geale's (2 Farmer St, London W8 7SN) http://www.geales.com/notting-hill/welcome - which is reputed to be the best fish and chip restaurant in the whole of London (although personally I find fish and chips overrated and always disappointing). Just up the street from Geale's in Peel Street is the Windsor Castle http://www.thewindsorcastlekensington.co.uk an excellent pub with a very curious interior (very low doors), where they serve very good food. The burgers are amazing. And you only need to see someone eating the sausage and mash: you'll want it too !

Most "Indian" restaurants in London are not really Indian but Bengali and the people who work in them have a completely different diet from the food they serve to their non-Asian customers. For a really good "Indian" meal without all of the flock wallpaper and wafting music that kills so many down-market faux-Indian restaurants, go to Khan's in Westbourne Grove (it's about 5 minutes' walk from Notting Hill Gate) and enjoy the young, trendy, noisy and largely Indian crowd ! http://www.khansrestaurant.com
Khan's is VERY popular so be prepared to queue outside in the street !

Alternatively for a really authentic Indian/Bangladeshi meal, take the Tube to Drummond Street, which is just behind the Euston Road (Warren Street or Euston Square Underground - so still very central and not far). The whole street is lined with excellent places to eat. This is strictly vegetarian food and no alcoholic drinks, beautifully made and presented.

You absolutely do not need to dress up for any of the places I've mentioned. Just be relaxed and enjoy!

Now I'm hungry.....

[Edited at 2013-09-21 12:10 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Khan's Sep 22, 2013

Westbourne Grove rings a bell and from the photos I think Khan's must have been where I was taken by my friends last time I was in London. It was crowded but the food was really great.

Not sure what you mean by "not really Indian but Bengali", since Bengal is part of India. Perhaps you mean "run by Bengals from Bangladesh"? Indian restaurants in Paris are all run by Pakistanis and they all say they are from the Punjab, without specifying which side of the border they are from.

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ready to go Oct 21, 2013

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think we will get back a couple of kilo's heavier! That Windsorcastle pub looks very nice. We're packed and ready to go. First a 300 km drive to the airport. The flight is just 1 hour. Next project: New York, with my other son. ( got 3 boys, 2girls)

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
From a few years ago but worth checking Oct 21, 2013

The Fox on the Hill pub in Denmark Hill/Camberwell, last time I was there still had a fox living in the garden.
http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-fox-on-the-hill

In Elephant and Castle the Castle Tandori just near the New Kent Rd tube exit used to do great Indian food, and the Pizzeria Castello at the Elephant end of the Walworth Road did pizzas a
... See more
The Fox on the Hill pub in Denmark Hill/Camberwell, last time I was there still had a fox living in the garden.
http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-fox-on-the-hill

In Elephant and Castle the Castle Tandori just near the New Kent Rd tube exit used to do great Indian food, and the Pizzeria Castello at the Elephant end of the Walworth Road did pizzas as good as any you'll find in Italy.

Check out Dans Le Noir in Clerkenwell Green where you eat in the dark.
http://www.tripadvisor.es/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d733255-Reviews-Dans_Le_Noir-London_England.html

Music/cultural festivals (especially in parks) can be great places to try food from various parts of the world, Reggae-Jamaican, etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to eat in London?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »