Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Christmas, Bah, humbug........ ?
Thread poster: Alison Sparks (X)
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 09:07
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Why a special date? Dec 6, 2012

Yes it's true, you can be jolly any time - but for those who have kids in school those jolly times like going to the beach or handing out presents need to coincide with school holidays. So I (who never wanted to know anything about family, special dates or the expectations of society in general) had to stop being all worked up and making a very big point of NOT caring at all about Christmas. Now I just go and have a good time.

Who knows where the pre-roman tribes stole the date? Ma
... See more
Yes it's true, you can be jolly any time - but for those who have kids in school those jolly times like going to the beach or handing out presents need to coincide with school holidays. So I (who never wanted to know anything about family, special dates or the expectations of society in general) had to stop being all worked up and making a very big point of NOT caring at all about Christmas. Now I just go and have a good time.

Who knows where the pre-roman tribes stole the date? Maybe winter solstice is big hoax as well? That is why my tree has a monster instead of a star on its top - it represents the Flying Spaghetti Monster - just in case.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Traditions - carefully mixed Dec 6, 2012

My childhood Christmases were varied, but wonderful, if a little taxing on the childish patience.

The rush of Christmas Eve - ironing my father's surplice for church (the HUGE) white tent English clergy wear - was one of the delightfully peaceful occupations because if you hurried it just crumpled up again.

The midnight service and carols, icing the Christmas cake, bed, and that amazing moment when as a small child we stretched our toes out to the end of the bed - and y
... See more
My childhood Christmases were varied, but wonderful, if a little taxing on the childish patience.

The rush of Christmas Eve - ironing my father's surplice for church (the HUGE) white tent English clergy wear - was one of the delightfully peaceful occupations because if you hurried it just crumpled up again.

The midnight service and carols, icing the Christmas cake, bed, and that amazing moment when as a small child we stretched our toes out to the end of the bed - and yes, Father Christmas had filled the stocking with an orange, a coin or two, a new toothbrush, a puzzle and or a book, a small bar of chocolate and a couple of small surprises.
The long morning after church, decorating the tree, creeping about arranging last-minute presents...

The house full of relatives, my grandfather carving the turkey, lots of sprouts and the discovery of cranberries... and invariably the Christmas pudding. Then the wait while my father had a rest and the others washed up.

Finally presents...

Danish Christmas was a terrible culture shock. Gitte describes it well, but my in-laws crammed the whole thing in between 4 and 10 pm on Christmas Eve. The grown-ups would spin out the singing round the tree until my son, the first real child in the family for many years, was far too tired to appreciate presents. Another time, a younger cousin cried himself to sleep because he had lost a piece of his new Lego set.
(We found it under the sofa next day, but it was not the same!)
I had a strange empty feeling on Christmas Day that now it was all over before it really began, and we still had not been to church!

I cried when we did go to church the first year I was in Denmark - NO decorations, just two poinsettias. After all the years when I helped decorate the church with the Sunday School children and other childlike souls, and we set up the crib without the Baby - someone added the tiny figure at the last minute!

When Christmas moved to our house in Denmark I tried to compromise - I make a separate pudding for the children who don't like the traditional ones, and it has to be LARGE - everyone wants some!
I put lots of almonds in all the puddings and sabotage the Danish tradition of only having one. (We had silver threepenny bits in our English pudding, way back, and there was always one for each child! They had to be handed over in exchange for a small present or chocolate coin.)
The 'almond presents' in my house are toys or puzzles, so that the children have something to do while the uncles are eating a seventh portion of pudding, and others wash up and drink coffee...

I have rarely seen a less child-friendly performance!
But now we are all older, I love it. I simply fit in all the other things I want to do around it.
But it's home to England this year, and we can do it all properly!

[Edited at 2012-12-06 19:02 GMT]
Collapse

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Christine Dec 6, 2012

My childhood Christmases were much like yours, with the added tension of singing the solos in church and reading at least one of the lessons on Christmas Day (I was head chorister in the cathedral at the time).

In fact it's the singing that I really miss now. There's nothing like the harmonies of proper 'church' music for making me feel good, although I agree with other posts here that listening to endless rounds of 'White Christmas' or 'Santa is coming to town' or here in France
... See more
My childhood Christmases were much like yours, with the added tension of singing the solos in church and reading at least one of the lessons on Christmas Day (I was head chorister in the cathedral at the time).

In fact it's the singing that I really miss now. There's nothing like the harmonies of proper 'church' music for making me feel good, although I agree with other posts here that listening to endless rounds of 'White Christmas' or 'Santa is coming to town' or here in France 'Petit Papa Noel' can be extremely annoying!

Likewise I prefer what we always called "un-birthday presents". In other words spontaneous small gifts which really suited the person at whatever time of the year.

As to the tree, we always put a star on top. I spent too much of my childhood having vulgar jokes made at my expense at what would happen if one put a fairy on the top, my maiden name being Fairey!!!!

Anyway, whatever you all call it I wish you a happy one. No family quarrels, no excessive hangovers, no unwanted presents. But I still think we should have a worldwide petition to return new year to March when everything seems to be re-starting in nature and the days are longer and it means the expenses can be spread out a bit too! Hence I'm still a Scrooge!
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
New Year comes at just the right time Dec 7, 2012

Return New Year to March? What a terrible thought!

One of my favourite days of the year is Dec 22nd, as this is the date where the days start getting longer again (in the northern hemisphere, at least). In my part of the world, winter seems to last 6 months every year, and apart from the dreadful cold, the darkness is really the worst, so I just love it when I can start making myself believe that we are heading towards summer again. Every minute of extra daylight counts, in my opini
... See more
Return New Year to March? What a terrible thought!

One of my favourite days of the year is Dec 22nd, as this is the date where the days start getting longer again (in the northern hemisphere, at least). In my part of the world, winter seems to last 6 months every year, and apart from the dreadful cold, the darkness is really the worst, so I just love it when I can start making myself believe that we are heading towards summer again. Every minute of extra daylight counts, in my opinion.

The same sort of goes for New Year: it is a new beginning, yes, but I couldn't possibly wait for spring to jump into a new year with new plans, hopes and aspirations. Spring has so much going for it, anyway, it is a non-stop celebration of flowers popping up out of the frozen ground, trees bursting into leaf, gentle rays of sunshine actually sending us a bit of much-awaited warmth etc.

No, let's just keep things as they are.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
FR + EN Dec 7, 2012

We have a careful mix of English and French, which basically means we celebrate on the 24th AND 25th, bûche and Christmas pud, chestnut stuffing and cranberry sauce. And we don't watch the queen, since one of the reasons I love France is that you never have to watch royals opening hospitals on the news (the other reason is that you never hear about cricket matches on the news)))

The only thing I refuse to budge on is
... See more
We have a careful mix of English and French, which basically means we celebrate on the 24th AND 25th, bûche and Christmas pud, chestnut stuffing and cranberry sauce. And we don't watch the queen, since one of the reasons I love France is that you never have to watch royals opening hospitals on the news (the other reason is that you never hear about cricket matches on the news)))

The only thing I refuse to budge on is when the presents are given: the kids (well, offspring, only one is still under 18) get a stocking of little presents they are allowed to open before breakfast (including a tangerine in memory of my father's stocking as a child, and a pot of the famous chocolate and hazelnut spread that just leaps into my shopping trolley despite my fierce resistance, which they are allowed to eat with a spoon if they want), then for the bigger presents we make them wait till everyone has had breakfast and is dressed and the turkey or capon is safely in the oven so we can eat lunch before it gets dark.

We do also exchange gifts with the friends we celebrate with on the 24th but we have a strict rule that we don't spend any more than 5 euros. It's quite a challenge, but this year provided I don't get a hugejobIcan'trefuse I shall be making my presents: infinity scarves for the women, little tops for the girls, boxer shorts for the men and boys. I have loads of bits of leftover fabric and thread so I'll only have to spend money on things like buttons.
Having said that, I should be getting on with it rather than nattering on here!
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Problems with Christmas Dec 7, 2012

My youngest grandson, just six, recently asked how does Father Christmas know all the names?
Any answers suitable for a six-year old?

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:07
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Santa's Golden Book Dec 7, 2012

George Hopkins wrote:

My youngest grandson, just six, recently asked how does Father Christmas know all the names?
Any answers suitable for a six-year old?

When I was young he had this big Golden Book with notes on everyone. Today he probably has something a bit more modern and gadgety.

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Omniscient Dec 7, 2012

We never did a Christmas list. According to my father Santa was omniscient, so there was no point. In the same way, for my sons, he managed to get down the chimney even when we'd had a really hot fire!

The answer to all such questions, regarding Santa or any other inexplicable question in view of our age and education, was "because", let's look it up together! It certainly taught us all to want to know more and develop research skills....
See more
We never did a Christmas list. According to my father Santa was omniscient, so there was no point. In the same way, for my sons, he managed to get down the chimney even when we'd had a really hot fire!

The answer to all such questions, regarding Santa or any other inexplicable question in view of our age and education, was "because", let's look it up together! It certainly taught us all to want to know more and develop research skills.

Try that for an explanation and then for a six year old, find the dictionary together, look up the word, explain its meaning, et voilà. Good education, and don't forget the golden rule to look up the word before and after the one you are actually wanting, or even more if the mood takes you both.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't think I ever believed in Santa... Dec 8, 2012

Santa is just an American invention, isn't he?

In Denmark, we have 'nisser', little, quite naughty characters (and no, they are not elfs, leprechauns or pixies, if anything, they are more likely to resemble garden gnomes - most often dressed in red jackets and black or grey trousers, woollen socks and wooden clogs, not to forget the tell-tale long red hood) who live in the attic or the barn, if you have one of those. I am not quite sure what they do all year round, but during the mo
... See more
Santa is just an American invention, isn't he?

In Denmark, we have 'nisser', little, quite naughty characters (and no, they are not elfs, leprechauns or pixies, if anything, they are more likely to resemble garden gnomes - most often dressed in red jackets and black or grey trousers, woollen socks and wooden clogs, not to forget the tell-tale long red hood) who live in the attic or the barn, if you have one of those. I am not quite sure what they do all year round, but during the month of December, they most definitely develop a serious craving for rice porridge with cinnamon and butter to be eaten with a wooden spoon, preferably served with a good mug of 'taffeløl', a sweet low-alcohol beer, on the side. And you'd better make sure to put this out for them every evening, or else... there's no telling what kinds of tricks they will play on the household.

They don't bring anybody presents, they just lark about until, I presume, they go back into hibernation once Christmas is over...
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Gremlins... Dec 9, 2012

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

In Denmark, we have 'nisser', little, quite naughty characters (and no, they are not elfs, leprechauns or pixies, if anything, they are more likely to resemble garden gnomes - most often dressed in red jackets and black or grey trousers, woollen socks and wooden clogs, not to forget the tell-tale long red hood) who live in the attic or the barn, if you have one of those. I am not quite sure what they do all year round, but during the month of December, they most definitely develop a serious craving for rice porridge with cinnamon and butter to be eaten with a wooden spoon, preferably served with a good mug of 'taffeløl', a sweet low-alcohol beer, on the side. And you'd better make sure to put this out for them every evening, or else... there's no telling what kinds of tricks they will play on the household.

They don't bring anybody presents, they just lark about until, I presume, they go back into hibernation once Christmas is over...

I think they turn into creatures like gremlins the rest of the year.

In print shops there are 'sætternisser' who cause typos and worse.
And if a family left a farm because of bad luck or problems, they had to be very careful, or the nisse would hide in the packing and move with them, bringing the problems too...

So I have heard out in the countryside!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Christmas, Bah, humbug........ ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »