Off topic: Quotations from Benjamin H. D. Buchloh's catalogue needed
Thread poster: Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:01
German to English
Nov 5, 2012

[Edit to point out: Garbled title of thread is not my own! Changed by moderator for some reason.]

Hi,

Does anyone have or have access to the following exhibition catalogue or to Benjamin Buchloh's contribution?

Benjamin H. D. Buchloh, ‘Warburg’s Paragon? The End of Collage and Photomontage in Postwar Europe’,
in
Deep Storage: Collecting, Storing and Archiving in Art (exh.-cat. Haus der Kunst, Munich; Sonderausstellungshalle am Kulturforu
... See more
[Edit to point out: Garbled title of thread is not my own! Changed by moderator for some reason.]

Hi,

Does anyone have or have access to the following exhibition catalogue or to Benjamin Buchloh's contribution?

Benjamin H. D. Buchloh, ‘Warburg’s Paragon? The End of Collage and Photomontage in Postwar Europe’,
in
Deep Storage: Collecting, Storing and Archiving in Art (exh.-cat. Haus der Kunst, Munich; Sonderausstellungshalle am Kulturforum, Berlin; Kunstmuseum Düsseldorf; Henry Art Gallery, Seattle) (Munich and New York, 1997), pp. 50-60.

[Edit: Contact information deleted]

Sincerely,
Michael Wetzel

[Edited at 2012-11-05 15:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-11-05 20:34 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Here are the quotations Nov 5, 2012

Here are the quotations:

German version in the German catalogue runs p. 50-60 (page number of quotation in German vesion in brackets)

quasi-mechanische Anordnung, wie man sie in der Systematik der Archive findet.“ (59)

„Fotosammlungen“ = central concept: theoretically simply „photo collections“, but „collections of photographs“ etc. also possible

„Aufzeichnung komplexer historischer Prozesse, das Sammeln von Fakten und das Aufli
... See more
Here are the quotations:

German version in the German catalogue runs p. 50-60 (page number of quotation in German vesion in brackets)

quasi-mechanische Anordnung, wie man sie in der Systematik der Archive findet.“ (59)

„Fotosammlungen“ = central concept: theoretically simply „photo collections“, but „collections of photographs“ etc. also possible

„Aufzeichnung komplexer historischer Prozesse, das Sammeln von Fakten und das Auflisten von chronologischen Abfolgen und zeitlichen Kontinuitäten […] der ursprünglichen Forderung der Avantgarde nach Unmittelbarkeit, Shock und Brechung zutiefst [widersprechen]“ (50)

Thanks to anyone that can help,
Michael
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:01
English to German
+ ...
snippet Nov 6, 2012

“There can be little doubt that the recording of complex historical processes, the amassing of facts, the arrangement of events in chronological order and temporal continuity diametrically oppose the avant-garde objectives of immediacy, shock, and fragmentation, even if these records are merely imaginary structures....”

http://tiny.cc/47zbnw
<
... See more
“There can be little doubt that the recording of complex historical processes, the amassing of facts, the arrangement of events in chronological order and temporal continuity diametrically oppose the avant-garde objectives of immediacy, shock, and fragmentation, even if these records are merely imaginary structures....”

http://tiny.cc/47zbnw
http://tiny.cc/xu0bnw

[Edited at 2012-11-06 03:19 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Best practice? Nov 6, 2012

Dear Johanna,

Thank you very much. I'm impressed.

Any tips for searching Google Books?

I had found and searched the catalogue at Google Books using a couple of sure-hit translations for sets of 3-4 words and got no results.
Nothing from the actual text provided by you shows up when searching specifically in the book, either.

Does the option "Try this search over all volumes" generally turn up better results (despite the larger number of f
... See more
Dear Johanna,

Thank you very much. I'm impressed.

Any tips for searching Google Books?

I had found and searched the catalogue at Google Books using a couple of sure-hit translations for sets of 3-4 words and got no results.
Nothing from the actual text provided by you shows up when searching specifically in the book, either.

Does the option "Try this search over all volumes" generally turn up better results (despite the larger number of false hits)?

Do you use other full-text sources (scribd etc.)?

Sincerely,
Michael
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:01
English to German
+ ...
research junkie Nov 6, 2012

Hi Michael,

I used various search parameters, including Buchloh + "complex historical processes"; once I had found the first snippet, I used strings from that excerpt which then led me to the second snippet and the rest of the sentence.

But maybe my location (Canada) has sth to do with the results google brings up?

One of my daughters has access to the local university library catalogue - I've asked her to check for the book there and will let you know
... See more
Hi Michael,

I used various search parameters, including Buchloh + "complex historical processes"; once I had found the first snippet, I used strings from that excerpt which then led me to the second snippet and the rest of the sentence.

But maybe my location (Canada) has sth to do with the results google brings up?

One of my daughters has access to the local university library catalogue - I've asked her to check for the book there and will let you know !

Cheers,
johanna
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks but not necessary Nov 6, 2012

Hello Johanna,

Thanks, but the project is already done. I was able to find all of the other quotations in the essay and explained the problem with the one Buchloh quotation to my client.
As a translator, it bothers me to know that those 6-7 words aren't exactly right, but she needs to get things to the printer and that had priority in this case.

I'm in Berlin, so I can generally find just about anything on paper if I can't find it in the Internet. In this case, h
... See more
Hello Johanna,

Thanks, but the project is already done. I was able to find all of the other quotations in the essay and explained the problem with the one Buchloh quotation to my client.
As a translator, it bothers me to know that those 6-7 words aren't exactly right, but she needs to get things to the printer and that had priority in this case.

I'm in Berlin, so I can generally find just about anything on paper if I can't find it in the Internet. In this case, however, the German and English versions were published more or less simultaneously, so there was no reason for any German library to buy an English copy.

Sincerely,
Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quotations from Benjamin H. D. Buchloh's catalogue needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »