Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:37
German to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2012

Hi guys

Announcing the “People who rock the translation industry!” series, in which we will be interviewing people who have made a positive contribution, no matter how small or large, to the translation industry – at the international, national or local level. You can see the first interview of colleague Marta Ste
... See more
Hi guys

Announcing the “People who rock the translation industry!” series, in which we will be interviewing people who have made a positive contribution, no matter how small or large, to the translation industry – at the international, national or local level. You can see the first interview of colleague Marta Stelmaszak here

If you know someone who rocks the industry, let me know!

Cheers,
Anne
Collapse

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:37
English to Russian
+ ...
A very interesting piece of reading! Oct 26, 2012

Looking forward to reading other interviews of the series. I wonder if you manage to get 100 editions! Try to interview interpreters who work in difficult situations (in war zones, at hospitals), volunteers, fiction translators, etc.
Good luck!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No thanks Oct 26, 2012

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

I do not wish to be "rocked", or to "rock" anything, thank you. A rocking motion would put me to sleep.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
isn't the industry Oct 26, 2012

rocky enough already?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I look forward to interviews Oct 26, 2012

with colleagues who "rock" the industry not because they have too much time on their hand due to an apparent lack of workflow to be Super-Twitterer or Super-Facebooker, but who actually work full-time.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
For whatever reason Oct 26, 2012

In my experience, the translators who really "rock" the world are the quiet ones who don't need to emit lots of hot air. The ones who work for world market leaders solely, the ones who are the voice of CEOs and presidents, the ones whose skill will decide if a company will penetrate a foreign market or not. The really good ones are the quiet ones - they don't have to toot their horn. Chiefly because they are always booked up to their eyeballs. They don't "tweet" and they don't "update their Face... See more
In my experience, the translators who really "rock" the world are the quiet ones who don't need to emit lots of hot air. The ones who work for world market leaders solely, the ones who are the voice of CEOs and presidents, the ones whose skill will decide if a company will penetrate a foreign market or not. The really good ones are the quiet ones - they don't have to toot their horn. Chiefly because they are always booked up to their eyeballs. They don't "tweet" and they don't "update their Facebook" like hysterical soccer moms or Justin Bieber fans. They know where NOT to advertise. Collapse

Susanne Schiewe
Susanne Schiewe
Germany
English to German
Tanya Quintieri Oct 26, 2012

Tanya Quintieri:

- Translator
- Owner of an advertising agency
- President of the translators organization DVÜD
- Initiator of a booth at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2012
-
-
-
-

And probably some 1,000 ideas for the future.

Be prepared for a long interview

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-26 11:44 GMT]

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Wait for the list to develop Oct 26, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

In my experience, the translators who really "rock" the world are the quiet ones who don't need to emit lots of hot air.

Scince I know who is on the list of people, who will be interviewed, I can ensure you that most of them will fulfil this criterion. I am looking forward to these interviews.

[Edited at 2012-10-26 11:41 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I hope so. Oct 26, 2012

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

In my experience, the translators who really "rock" the world are the quiet ones who don't need to emit lots of hot air.

Scince I know who is on the list of people, who will be interviewed, I can ensure you that most of them will fulfil this criterion. I am looking forward to these interviews.

I have to admit that I found the current one quite shallow.

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Natalia and Susanne Oct 26, 2012

Thanks Natalia and Susanne for your constructive feedback!
Natalia - yes, I already have some colleagues involved in humanitarian relief for examples on my list! I'm very excited about interviewing them!
@Susanne: this a great suggestion, thanks a lot! I'll add her right away to the list.

Have a great weekend!
Anne

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shallow? Oct 26, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I have to admit that I found the current one quite shallow.

Yes, you really should wait for a few more interviews.

Shallow?
A. just because someone uses Facebook and Twitter does not mean they are superficial and have nothing to do. When they use them intelligently, they're just taking full advantage of modern technologies to help their message resonate.

B. the people we want to interview is this series are, like it is written, people who made/make contribution to the industry (a positive one), in some way, no matter how big or small. People who, at their scale, with their means, work or volunteer to move our profession which is still too often reluctant to change in a world that IS changing. People who are not industry stars and because of what they do, deserve to be on our blog and deserve this opportunity to explain what they do, why they do, how they do it.

It is absolutely your right to disagree and to not see the point of what the first interviewee is doing. But many colleagues feel differently about it.

Anyway, "people who try to make a difference /rock the industry" is a wide concept, there are as many ways as rocking the industry as there are translators, so hopefully there will be enough to satisfy everybody's expectations. But please be patient and wait for the list to develop indeed.

And if you have names of colleagues you think fit in the series, then do not hesitate to shoot me an email. I'm open to all suggestions because as you said, there are a lot of colleagues who do a lot of good and who are not as visible as others, so this is a chance to give them a little visibility and to explain to all of us what is it they do.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Anne

[Edited at 2012-10-26 12:21 GMT]

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:37
Italian to Russian
+ ...
R&R Oct 26, 2012

Many really good managers rock the translation and roll away (and up) into the other spheres.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Plenty of good solid talent (if that it what rocks us) Oct 26, 2012

My list would include those ProZ members whose KudoZ points put them of the leader board, and whose thoughtful, and correct responses to terms questions have earned the respect of their (often younger) fellow translators.

I admire them from afar, simply because I would not presume to be in their league.

As others have said, there are many translators who have deliberately kept out of the limelight, but contribute significantly to what should really be rocking not just t
... See more
My list would include those ProZ members whose KudoZ points put them of the leader board, and whose thoughtful, and correct responses to terms questions have earned the respect of their (often younger) fellow translators.

I admire them from afar, simply because I would not presume to be in their league.

As others have said, there are many translators who have deliberately kept out of the limelight, but contribute significantly to what should really be rocking not just the translation industry, but the world: excellence, and the pursuit thereof!

Side issue: Are we a translation community or a translation industry?
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:37
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Better than getting motion sickness, Oct 27, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

I do not wish to be "rocked", or to "rock" anything, thank you. A rocking motion would put me to sleep.

don't you think?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
(I don't like putting in a title when I'm answering something in quotes because my answer has to Oct 27, 2012

come after the quote)

Allison Wright wrote:

Side issue: Are we a translation community or a translation industry?

I prefer to say the translation profession

I'm not sure how much of a "community" we are (see today's poll, a vast majority has never attended a translation event)

and I don't like the term "industry", I see my work more as an art than something coming out of a factory

That may be more because of the type of translations I do (transcreation, literary, art-related, high-brow cultural stuff etc.).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

People who rock the translation industry

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »