Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2012

As the Olympic Games draw to a close, what sports would you like to see included in the Olympics in the future?

My suggestions would be Men's Rhythmic Gymnastics. In these days of sexual equality, I don't see why any sports should be exclusively reserved for women. If women now play football and boxing, and even run the marathon, why shouldn't men do Rhythmic Gymnastics?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:54
Hebrew to English
I don't know about included, but .... Aug 11, 2012

I'd like to see rather pointless things such as "Dressage" excluded. I'm sorry I just don't see how making a horse do parlour tricks is a "sport" under any definition.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:54
German to English
+ ...
and triple jump (excluded) Aug 12, 2012

running - get away from danger
hurdles/steeplechase - get away from danger while having to negotiate (i.e. jump over) obstacles
javelin - survival, hunting
shot - hunting (at a stretch)
hammer - bigger stretch
long jump - could be advantageous, if have to cross a river
high jump - getting over an obstacle
pole vault - getting over a higher obstacle

triple jump - ???

why is that a sport?

See more
hurdles/steeplechase - get away from danger while having to negotiate (i.e. jump over) obstacles
hammer - bigger stretch

triple jump - ???

why is that a sport?

Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:54
Chinese to English
Ty's obviously forgotten the Olympic motto Aug 12, 2012

Higher, Faster, Prancier

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:54
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Coed Sports? Aug 12, 2012

Paul Dixon wrote:

As the Olympic Games draw to a close, what sports would you like to see included in the Olympics in the future?

My suggestions would be Men's Rhythmic Gymnastics. In these days of sexual equality, I don't see why any sports should be exclusively reserved for women. If women now play football and boxing, and even run the marathon, why shouldn't men do Rhythmic Gymnastics?

By the same token, just about every sports should be for women as well as for men. I sometimes think some sports can be played coed (soccer, swimming, for example?). There might be some biological reasons against some sports played coed, though.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Skateboarding Aug 12, 2012

Why not include skateboarding? It's just as skilled and daring as the event performed on mountain bikes - I can't remember what it's called - and is exciting to watch. I often admire the local youth performing brilliant manoeuvres at a local skateboard "facility" in this town.
And the way things are going, why not ballroom dancing, which has now become a fiercely competitive international activity? Imagine the dancers decked out in their sequinned frou-frou national colours ...
Jenny
... See more
Why not include skateboarding? It's just as skilled and daring as the event performed on mountain bikes - I can't remember what it's called - and is exciting to watch. I often admire the local youth performing brilliant manoeuvres at a local skateboard "facility" in this town.
And the way things are going, why not ballroom dancing, which has now become a fiercely competitive international activity? Imagine the dancers decked out in their sequinned frou-frou national colours ...
Jenny

[Edited at 2012-08-12 07:43 GMT]
Collapse

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
As a dog owner.... Aug 12, 2012

...personally, I have enjoyed seeing these new sports...

http://rupertfawcettsdoggyblog.tumblr.com/

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes, or even... Aug 12, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Jenny

[Edited at 2012-08-12 07:43 GMT]

...inline skating

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Exclude Dressage? Never! Aug 12, 2012

hammer - bigger stretch

dressage - confusing the enemy with silly dancing tricks, while waiting for reinforcements

As a horse freak, I can't see enough horsey sports included in the Olympics. Anyway - have you noticed, that like with dog owners, the face of the rider resembles many times exactly that of his four-legged sports equipment?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Out with the new Aug 12, 2012

As someone who has never been a fan of the Olympics, I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed it this time round - I even found myself admiring the dressage! Perhaps it's because 21st century TV and online coverage is so good, but I have no real complaints anyway.

However, I also heard that 2 of the sailing events in which Spain won medals are not to be included in the next games, but I'm not sure why. Perhaps the current events should all be reassessed to see which of them real
... See more
As someone who has never been a fan of the Olympics, I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed it this time round - I even found myself admiring the dressage! Perhaps it's because 21st century TV and online coverage is so good, but I have no real complaints anyway.

However, I also heard that 2 of the sailing events in which Spain won medals are not to be included in the next games, but I'm not sure why. Perhaps the current events should all be reassessed to see which of them really deserves to stay "official", before adding any, perhaps more minority interest sports to the list.
Collapse

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
How about Aug 12, 2012

including rounders and shinty in the team sports, with throwing the cricket ball (or welly boot) in the individual category? And I'd love to see show jumping done without the horse - people only, but with smaller obstacles, might be almost as entertaining to watch as the synchronised swimming with the sound off!

After all, if they're going to get rid of windsurfing, for example, and then include golf........
<
... See more
including rounders and shinty in the team sports, with throwing the cricket ball (or welly boot) in the individual category? And I'd love to see show jumping done without the horse - people only, but with smaller obstacles, might be almost as entertaining to watch as the synchronised swimming with the sound off!

After all, if they're going to get rid of windsurfing, for example, and then include golf........

Actually, I've always thought it strange that lacrosse doesn't seem to figure on the list.

Maybe there ought to be an 'alternative' olympics for the more esoteric sports.

I agree with neilmac too, that despite not being a great fan of most of the olympic sports (except rowing, sailing and swimming) I've thoroughly enjoyed watching rather more of them than usual.
Collapse

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How about Aug 12, 2012

Egg and Spoon Race, pancake tossing, gurning, staring (eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpDZDi581qA)...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dressage, equine features, etc. Aug 12, 2012

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

hammer - bigger stretch

dressage - confusing the enemy with silly dancing tricks, while waiting for reinforcements

As a horse freak, I can't see enough horsey sports included in the Olympics. Anyway - have you noticed, that like with dog owners, the face of the rider resembles many times exactly that of his four-legged sports equipment?

I agree, Anna. Riders do indeed tend to look somewhat equine, especially certain members of our esteemed royal family ... ☺
Re dressage, it in fact requires enormous skill and extensive practice. You have to make the horse perform movements that are totally contrary to its normal paces, in time to music, while making it look as if you're not doing anything at all, and it's a sport in which men and women compete on equal terms, precisely because the horse (of either sex) does half the work ...
My sister in Louisiana is a keen dressagiste (does that word exist?) and I know how much effort she puts into it.
I vote that dressage be kept.
Jenny

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
That's the inbreeding Aug 12, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:
Riders do indeed tend to look somewhat equine, especially certain members of our esteemed royal family ... ☺

It's a very shallow gene pool.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
dressage Aug 12, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I'd like to see rather pointless things such as "Dressage" excluded. I'm sorry I just don't see how making a horse do parlour tricks is a "sport" under any definition.

Maybe pointless, but beautiful and graceful IMHO

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:
As a horse freak, I can't see enough horsey sports included in the Olympics.

the same with me

Ewa

[Edited at 2012-08-12 21:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Olympic Sports

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »