Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreed Aug 13, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I'd like to see rather pointless things such as "Dressage" excluded. I'm sorry I just don't see how making a horse do parlour tricks is a "sport" under any definition.

I made that exact point last night.

I also agree with Cilian about the triple jump.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:17
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Some people don't understand golf Aug 13, 2012

Louise Souter wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

I'd like to see rather pointless things such as "Dressage" excluded. I'm sorry I just don't see how making a horse do parlour tricks is a "sport" under any definition.

I made that exact point last night.

I also agree with Cilian about the triple jump.

Some people don't understand dressage. It has nothing to do with tricks and circus or forcing horses to do silly crap - it is the highest level of horseback riding. Ever wonder why the horses do their wonderful moves? Those are their natural movements - however, you can't force a horse to do that. I was pleased to see in show jumping riders as old as 65 and horses at the age of 15. This is beyond remarkable and perhaps this will give you some insight - it's all about art, precision and perfect teamwork. Horses have been part of the ancient Olympics (chariot races). Of all things - why eliminate the most classic contestants? Maybe watching girls in G-strings playing beach volleyball is racier.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Rhythmic gymnastics Aug 13, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:
... why not ballroom dancing, which has now become a fiercely competitive international activity? Imagine the dancers decked out in their sequinned frou-frou national colours ...
Jenny

[Edited at 2012-08-12 07:43 GMT]

... is quite nice and colourful, and with music (much nicer to watch than ordinary gymnastics or basketball or kayaking!). It might be difficult to justify including ballroom dancing too:-)

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:17
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
horses Aug 13, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Some people don't understand dressage. It has nothing to do with tricks and circus or forcing horses to do silly crap - it is the highest level of horseback riding. Ever wonder why the horses do their wonderful moves? Those are their natural movements - however, you can't force a horse to do that. I was pleased to see in show jumping riders as old as 65 and horses at the age of 15. This is beyond remarkable and perhaps this will give you some insight - it's all about art, precision and perfect teamwork. Horses have been part of the ancient Olympics (chariot races). Of all things - why eliminate the most classic contestants? Maybe watching girls in G-strings playing beach volleyball is racier.

well said Nicole!

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
Triple jump Aug 13, 2012

Look Cilian, having (mis)spent much of my youth on the coast of Cork I can tell you triple jump is an imporant skill for getting across drainage streams on beaches when the last joker over has removed the last of the three stepping stones.

I'd like to see a 'throwing a small stone' skill or stone skimming. Reflects my background, I guess.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
horses Aug 13, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It has nothing to do with tricks and circus or forcing horses to do silly crap - it is the highest level of horseback riding. Ever wonder why the horses do their wonderful moves? Those are their natural movements - however, you can't force a horse to do that. I was pleased to see in show jumping riders as old as 65 and horses at the age of 15. This is beyond remarkable and perhaps this will give you some insight - it's all about art, precision and perfect teamwork.

I think the horses look beautiful, but things like trotting on the spot (piaffe) and canter pirouettes are hardly its natural movements surely?

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Personal observation - or lack thereof... Aug 13, 2012

Rachel Fell wrote:
I think the horses look beautiful, but things like trotting on the spot (piaffe) and canter pirouettes are hardly its natural movements surely?

Neither you nor Jenny have obviously ever taken the time to observe any number of horses interacting in the wild, or on a paddock, for that matter. Otherwise, you would have seen for yourself that any and all of those movements are natural and will be displayed even at a very young age.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
They are. :-) Aug 13, 2012

Rachel Fell wrote:

You just need to watch them flirting which each other. That's better than the Olympics.

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pro-dressage Aug 13, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

You just need to watch them flirting which each other. That's better than the Olympics.

That's a lovely way of putting it Nicole. You've made me remember my mare. I could barely get her to walk when I rode her, but put her in a field with a confused gelding, and she was a ballerina...

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Formula One Aug 13, 2012

Here's a solution to the triple jump issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Io6wg8D60

On a slightly less unserious note: All that's missing from the Olympics now is Formula One.

I cringed all those years ago in the 80s when professional footballers and tennis players (e.g. Graf) were allowed in. Not to mention professional basketballers and ice hoc
... See more

On a slightly less unserious note: All that's missing from the Olympics now is Formula One.

I cringed all those years ago in the 80s when professional footballers and tennis players (e.g. Graf) were allowed in. Not to mention professional basketballers and ice hockey players.
Golf will be there next time - again it doesn't feel right to me, even though it's my favourite sport of them all.

So why not go the whole hog and introduce Formula One? I'm sure its inclusion could be justified (not that it's something I'd personally welcome either).
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Have you not heard about the latest suggestion? Pole Dancing! Aug 13, 2012

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I cringed all those years ago in the 80s when professional footballers and tennis players (e.g. Graf) were allowed in. Not to mention professional basketballers and ice hockey players.
Golf will be there next time - again it doesn't feel right to me, even though it's my favourite sport of them all.

So why not go the whole hog and introduce Formula One? I'm sure its inclusion could be justified (not that it's something I'd personally welcome either).

"Pole dancing an Olympic sport? Federation moves to get attention

It takes all kinds of athletic ability to become an Olympian.

Some row. Others swim. Some even vault with poles.

But what about twirling around poles?

There's a movement to make pole dancing a part of the Olympics some day.

For the past eight years, Andrea Duhe has been transforming her body with the help of a pole.

"You're practicing, and all of a sudden, you find yourself stronger, and you can do more. And then, you look at the scale, and you're lighter, and you see you have more muscle tone," says Duhe.

She's one of several who has uncovered her strength at Body in Motion in Metairie, LA. In the three years the studio has been around, interest in pole fitness has more than doubled.

"You're lifting your own body weight, you know," says instructor Samantha Huffman. "You're controlling all of your own muscles, and your body, to do those moves and the transitions smoothly, and safely."

Making moves look effortless takes a ton of control.

This year, the International Pole Sports Federation hosted a world championship in London, just days before the Olympics. It's no coincidence. They're doing it to get on the Olympic Committee's radar. The foundation has even drawn up an official rule book for pole dancing.

The quest to make pole dancing an Olympic sport began two years ago. The argument is it takes fitness, strength, athleticism, and grace. It uses just about every muscle in your body.

"We're gripping with our thighs, our ankles, our armpits, your side," said Huffman."There's a level of dedication and training you have to put into it to get anywhere. It's a type of gymnastics, but its a vertical apparatus."

While the sport won't be in the Olympics this year, these ladies deem it worthy. As to whether it will be included in the 2016 Games, we'll have to wait and see.

According to the International Olympic Committee, a sport has to meet some specific criteria to be considered for the games.

In addition to having an International Federation, the sport must be widely practiced around the world."

http://www.khou.com/sports/163839986.html

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Gorgeous!! Aug 13, 2012

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Coqueiro
Coqueiro
English to German
+ ...
three-legged race Aug 14, 2012

splashdiving
rope pulling
backward running

To a certain degree I prefer low-tech sports

See more
splashdiving
rope pulling
backward running

To a certain degree I prefer low-tech sports

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreibeinlauf
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tug_of_war
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_running
Collapse

Cécile Sellier
Cécile Sellier  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 00:17
English to French
+ ...
How about the Winter Olympics? Oct 15, 2012

I'm a little ashamed to say I haven't watched the London Olympics at all, but I can't wait for the next Winter games

I'm happy that some disciplines such as ski/snowboard freestyle (with slopestyle and half-pipe) have now been included in the programme. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, have a lo
... See more
I'm a little ashamed to say I haven't watched the London Olympics at all, but I can't wait for the next Winter games

I'm happy that some disciplines such as ski/snowboard freestyle (with slopestyle and half-pipe) have now been included in the programme. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, have a look at these:
- slopestyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXxZRVC97vs&feature=relmfu
- half-pipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMfDyzcgwz4
Those are from this year's Winter X Games in Tignes (my home!).

And to come back to dressage, keep it!! I don't watch the Summer games but I'm a big fan of horses
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
three-legged race Oct 15, 2012

With you all the way Coqueiro,

but why stop at three? why not a ten-legged race? that's REAL teamwork!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Olympic Sports

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »