Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Expatriates: for whom your heart beats at the Olympic Games?
Thread poster: wonita (X)
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
gamesmanship Aug 1, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

About the badminton thing - seems to me like a badly-designed tournament. Why would you not expect gamesmanship? Of course people will do anything to win. This isn't the amateur era any more.

Not necessarily a badly designed tournament. This sort of situation (where winning is not in your interest) is practically inevitable in a specific stage of tournaments where a round robin (group) stage is followed by an elimination stage, and that's a very common and reasonable tournament design.
If you're very solidly placed before the last round robin match, you can often "pick" your opponent for the first elimination match by winning or throwing your last round robin match. Football tournaments (World and Euro Cup) are the same way. Some teams throw a match, others go out with all guns blazing regardless of what opponent they get next. Frankly, I never saw this as particularly egregious. Most athletes/teams are smart enough to do it with plausible deniability and nobody bats an eyelid.

[Edited at 2012-08-01 15:15 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
France, then Spain Aug 1, 2012

Always fatherland, then residing country. Maybe excepting football (soccer)...

Philippe

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Horrible sponsorship Aug 1, 2012

Paul Dixon wrote:

To Tom: This may interest you:

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/ideas/unplug-and-escape-the-olympics.html

Here in Brazil we also have Olympic fever. I usually cheer for Great Britain though.

Thanks Paul. Just seen Bradley Wiggins winning the road race and being forced to sit in a horrible purple podium enclosure, on a hideous gilded "throne", all in the colours of one of the three *exclusive* sponsors of the London Olympics: Cadbury's, makers of the most fattening, low-cacao content, over-sweetened, unhealthy chocolate in the world.

The other 2 sponsors are: McDonald's and Coca-Cola. If you are in the Olympic Park and want something to eat or drink, these are your ONLY options. Like many others, I find it absolutely disgusting that the visitors to the Olympics are only allowed to eat and drink the most unhealthy food in the world.

An exclusive sponsorship deal means that nobody else is allowed to sell food and drink. Which is a great shame when one thinks of the many, many other small-scale caterers in London who could have provided a wonderful range of interesting, healthy, non-industrial food.

But I'll be gone on Saturday and when I get back, it will all be over

[Edited at 2012-08-01 16:06 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Surely... Aug 1, 2012

[quote]Tom in London wrote:

Paul Dixon wrote:
Cadbury's, makers of the most fattening, low-cacao content, over-sweetened, unhealthy chocolate in the world.
... not the most... and it used to taste nice despite the non-optimal recipe. It's Kraft now, anyway

[Edited at 2012-08-01 17:21 GMT]

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
while the moaners are moaning... Aug 1, 2012

... and to be fair we had also picked up the sponsor nonsense and the fact that the foodstuffs and drinks concerned are among the unhealthiest things you can ingest...what about congratulations for Wiggins, who has had a fantastic year and pulled off a great exploit.
Or are some of us too mean to recognise and appreciate success when we see it!
I thought I was the star of the "grotty old" brigade. Clearly I am beaten into a cocked hat.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Always Spain Aug 1, 2012

I always support whoever's nearest where I live: my local football team, Barcelona, or Spain - even France, where I have a sister. I never support the UK.

Yes, I've still got my Bristish passport but the UK couldn't care less about me. And they've more or less told me so, though not directly. Because I don't give them anything (I'm not a British taxpayer) they don't want to have anything to do with me. I can't vote (in any country for that matter) and I have lost all my rights as a
... See more
I always support whoever's nearest where I live: my local football team, Barcelona, or Spain - even France, where I have a sister. I never support the UK.

Yes, I've still got my Bristish passport but the UK couldn't care less about me. And they've more or less told me so, though not directly. Because I don't give them anything (I'm not a British taxpayer) they don't want to have anything to do with me. I can't vote (in any country for that matter) and I have lost all my rights as a British citizen because I left the land over 15 years ago.

If they don't care what I do, then I don't care what they do.

I always say it's wonderful to be British and live in Spain.
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Mutliculti approach Aug 2, 2012

Women's swimming: Zimbabwe (my country of residence for many years)
Men's swimming: South Africa (where I went to university)
Women's long distance athletics: Moçambique (because of Maria Matola, whose last Games was in 2008)
Men's Diving: China (because they are generally excellent)
Men's rowing: Zimbabwe (this year, the son of one of my school friends made it to the team)
Women's field hockey: The Netherlands (no reason, except that they had a great team in the S
... See more
Women's swimming: Zimbabwe (my country of residence for many years)
Men's swimming: South Africa (where I went to university)
Women's long distance athletics: Moçambique (because of Maria Matola, whose last Games was in 2008)
Men's Diving: China (because they are generally excellent)
Men's rowing: Zimbabwe (this year, the son of one of my school friends made it to the team)
Women's field hockey: The Netherlands (no reason, except that they had a great team in the Sydney Olympics) If The Netherlands is not playing, then South Africa, followed by Australia (my sister lives there now).
Track & field and gymnastics: everybody
Football: I do not usually watch it, but Portugal, of course, because they need all the help they can get, although is I still have a soft spot for the German team because of their performance in the FIFA World Cup about 2 decades ago.
Fencing: France
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expatriates: for whom your heart beats at the Olympic Games?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »