Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: What did your media make of the Olympic opening ceremony?
Thread poster: Phil Hand
Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:10
French to English
+ ...
The French seemed to like it. Jul 28, 2012

We watched it on TF1 last night, and the commentators seemed to think it was excellent, as did I.

Again on the lunch time news, the French commentators were saying they had thoroughly enjoyed it, and were impressed with the sense of humour "Oh so British". The sequence with Rowan Atkinson, and that of James Bond with the Queen, seem to have made a huge hit.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
The Italian papers liked it Jul 28, 2012

Most of the Italian articles I've seen have been positive.

The sequence with Rowan Atkinson... seem(s) to have made a huge hit.

The headline in one of the Corriere della Sera's main articles focuses on "Mr Bean", as does Καθημερινή in Athens, but I think that says more about headline writers than it does about anything else!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What's really going on Jul 28, 2012

Behind all the "happy news" about the Olympics, we Londoners are having a hard time, for example this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19023104

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Was it just me? Jul 28, 2012

I couldn't help but think while watching how many wells for clean drinking water could have been dug, hospitals and schools built, starving people fed for even half of the £27m that the opening ceremonies cost.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
German to English
+ ...
Well... Jul 28, 2012

that logic applies to pretty much anything that costs money. I think there is a place for spending money on a public spectacle for an event that brings the world together in a peaceful way.

Suzan Hamer wrote:

I couldn't help but think while watching how many wells for clean drinking water could have been dug, hospitals and schools built, starving people fed for even half of the £27m that the opening ceremonies cost.

[Edited at 2012-07-28 15:05 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Agree Jul 28, 2012

Suzan Hamer wrote:

Over-hyped, over-priced, over-produced and totally overboard. Money well and truly down the drain. In a double-dip recession it's nothing short of criminal.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
overloaded Jul 28, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

I have no idea what it was like but I've heard negative comments.

I was much too busy to watch this very expensive spectacle, whose purpose escapes me but makes me deeply suspicious.

Now that the actual sporting activities have begun, I'm more interested.

[Edited at 2012-07-28 12:15 GMT]

Ditto! For me it was too much, too expensive; waste of money.
But today I'm happy about Silvia Bogacka's silver medal

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
! Jul 28, 2012

Suzan Hamer wrote:

Yes! Ditto again! Exactly my thoughts!

[Edited at 2012-07-28 19:25 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Debord writes.... Jul 28, 2012

"..... the proliferation of the prefabricated 'pseudo-events' flows from the simple fact that, in the massive reality of present social life, men do not themselves live events"

(Guy-Ernest Debord: "The Society of the Spectacle")

[Edited at 2012-07-28 15:28 GMT]

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Omission Jul 28, 2012

Reading some of the comments above made me realise that there was one glaring omission during yesterday's presentation of quintessential Britishness, namely this very British epitome of grumpiness Victor Meldrew.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Too much Meldrew in this topic Jul 28, 2012

Like Ania, I am surprised at so much negative reaction here from British people. Staging the Olympic Games has been a financial burden to some cities and a financial benefit to others.
I didn't like all of the ceremony, but it was bold, imaginative, and so different from Beijing as to make direct comparison impossible.
There will be a considerable "legacy" from the Olympic Games, not only in terms of permanent sporting facilities, but also accommodation and facilities for athletes w
... See more
Like Ania, I am surprised at so much negative reaction here from British people. Staging the Olympic Games has been a financial burden to some cities and a financial benefit to others.
I didn't like all of the ceremony, but it was bold, imaginative, and so different from Beijing as to make direct comparison impossible.
There will be a considerable "legacy" from the Olympic Games, not only in terms of permanent sporting facilities, but also accommodation and facilities for athletes which will become available to Londoners.

Suppose the games make a profit?

"I couldn't help but think while watching how many wells for clean drinking water could be dug, hospitals and schools built, starving people fed for even half of the £Xm profit that the Games make".

(from someone rather older than Victor Meldrew)

[Edited at 2012-07-28 16:34 GMT]
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Call me a grumpy old woman, Jul 28, 2012

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

that logic applies to pretty much anything that costs money. I think there is a place for spending money on a public spectacle for an event that brings the world together in a peaceful way.

but something bothers me about ostentatious extravagance as the relatively "privileged few" come "together in a peaceful way" while the rest of the world is suffering. Surely there must be a middle way.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 12:10
English to Spanish
Mexican media did a great job. Jul 28, 2012

With skilled, knowledgeable, well-informed commentators, and NO commercials, we could see a complete Olympic Games inauguration full of history and a very sweet piece of fun and prank: when Queen Elizabeth II was taken from the Buckingham Palace by "James Bond" into a helicopter, from where "she" jumped in a parachute!!, just to appear shortly afterwards in the stadium. That was a great scene, specially when most people think that the Queen has no sense of humor. (Obviously she has a lot!)
... See more
With skilled, knowledgeable, well-informed commentators, and NO commercials, we could see a complete Olympic Games inauguration full of history and a very sweet piece of fun and prank: when Queen Elizabeth II was taken from the Buckingham Palace by "James Bond" into a helicopter, from where "she" jumped in a parachute!!, just to appear shortly afterwards in the stadium. That was a great scene, specially when most people think that the Queen has no sense of humor. (Obviously she has a lot!)

In general, Mexican media accomplished their mission.

Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Debord, again Jul 28, 2012

Ania Heasley wrote:

Reading some of the comments above made me realise that there was one glaring omission during yesterday's presentation of quintessential Britishness, namely this very British epitome of grumpiness Victor Meldrew.

Grumpiness implies impotence. But anger denotes something else.

"The spectacle presents itself as something enormously positive, indisputable and inaccessible. It says nothing more than 'that which appears is good, that which is good appears.' The attitude which it demands in principle is passive acceptance which in fact it already obtained by its manner of appearing without reply, by its monopoly of appearance. "

Debord again. Everyone should read him.

Oh - and about 30% of the British people want to be rid of the monarchy and have a republic instead. You didn't hear that at the Olympics spectacle.

[Edited at 2012-07-28 17:04 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
In modern Britain? Jul 28, 2012

Suzan Hamer wrote:

None. None at all. Had the money not been spent on an opening ceremony, it would doubtless have found its way to lining to the pockets of people whose pockets are already fairly well lined. So we should consider ourselves lucky to have been thrown the sop of a spectacular show.

I am definitely in the cynical camp (that also applies to foreign aid, FWIW). Much of what has gone on surrounding these Games makes me either ashamed or angry, sometimes both. I still wish Paris had won it. But taken as a show, I thought it was great and actually cheered me up about the next 2 weeks. Maybe that was the point.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What did your media make of the Olympic opening ceremony?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »