https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/226790-a_rather_alarming_bit_of_news.html&phpv_redirected=1

Off topic: A rather alarming bit of news
Thread poster: jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 11, 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18394191

"A legal team from The Hague has reportedly been jailed in Libya after being detained over a visit to Muammar Gaddafi's imprisoned son Saif al-Islam.

The four-strong International Criminal Court (ICC) team was moved to a jail in the mountain town of Zintan, a militia brigade chief told BBC News.

They wer
... See more
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18394191

"A legal team from The Hague has reportedly been jailed in Libya after being detained over a visit to Muammar Gaddafi's imprisoned son Saif al-Islam.

The four-strong International Criminal Court (ICC) team was moved to a jail in the mountain town of Zintan, a militia brigade chief told BBC News.

They were detained on Thursday and will be held for 45 days pending investigation, Ajami al-Ateri said.

A second ICC delegation has arrived in Libya in a bid to free them.

A member of the team being detained, Australian lawyer Melinda Taylor, has been accused of trying to pass documents to Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, who is also being held in Zintan.
[...]

Ms Taylor's Lebanese interpreter, Helen Assaf, is being held with her, while two other ICC staff, Spaniard Esteban Peralta Losilla and Russian Alexander Khodakov, are said to have stayed with their colleagues of their own accord..."

I real elsewhere that ICC staff are supposed to have international immunity.

Moderators: I don't know if this is the right place to post this, please feel free to move it.
Collapse

Ana Florencia Fernandez
Ana Florencia Fernandez
Argentina
Local time: 18:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wow. Jun 12, 2012

I admit that I don't read or listen to the news at all, but this is shocking. Have you heard anything else from them?

What could the interpreter do apart from interpreting?

And if the two male companions really decided to stay "on their own accord," that is truly brave and they should be admired. Not only because the other two members are women, but because of the nice gesture, the commitment to their team.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A rather alarming bit of news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »