Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Eurovision 2012 - What do you think of your country's entry?
Thread poster: Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:24
Hebrew to English
May 25, 2012

Is everyone ready for the dodgy songs, the geo-political voting, the overall corruption etc???

Has anyone already noticed any good translation anecdotes in relation to Eurovision?

I read this just this morning:

"Pastora Soler, Spain's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest, has been asked not to win the competition because of the cost of putting the event on next year.
The singer was also sent the tongue-in-cheek message from Spanish broadcaster TVE sa
... See more
Is everyone ready for the dodgy songs, the geo-political voting, the overall corruption etc???

Has anyone already noticed any good translation anecdotes in relation to Eurovision?

I read this just this morning:

"Pastora Soler, Spain's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest, has been asked not to win the competition because of the cost of putting the event on next year.
The singer was also sent the tongue-in-cheek message from Spanish broadcaster TVE saying 'Please, don't win!'.
“I think it is not the moment, neither for Spain nor for Spanish public, to win Eurovision,” she said.
“If we won, I think it would be impossible to stage the next edition because it costs so much money.”"
http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/-spanish-eurovision-entry-pastora-soler-‘told-not-to-win’-–-daily-tv-round-up.html

....with the current economic climate it seems winning Eurovision is a bit an inverse game of pass-the-parcel. I wonder if this will affect the voting? i.e. Let's all vote for XX - they can afford to host it next year.

What do you think of your country's entry?
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
does not apply May 25, 2012

Belgium isn't even in the final. And I thought it was only a problem with football....

[Edited at 2012-05-25 14:14 GMT]

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Finnish to English
I haven't heard it May 25, 2012

But I am really looking forward to the contest

(why can't I get a wink smilie?)

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Engelbert for UK and Germany May 25, 2012

Interestingly, Metro, the free UK tabloid, quotes Engelbert Humperdinck today as having said "I'm backing Germany" (Link to Metro article).

Which, of course, is either a mistranslation or a wilful misinterpretation of what he said in an interview with the German tabloid Bild earlier this week. His mother was German and he w
... See more
Interestingly, Metro, the free UK tabloid, quotes Engelbert Humperdinck today as having said "I'm backing Germany" (Link to Metro article).

Which, of course, is either a mistranslation or a wilful misinterpretation of what he said in an interview with the German tabloid Bild earlier this week. His mother was German and he was hugely popular in Germany (and across Europe, of course) at the height of his career (which I believe was just after the Napoleonic wars). So all he said was that Germany was still close to his heart and that he was also "singing for Germany". The kind of stuff you'd say on a PR tour abroad. Basically, he was just fishing for the German vote.

I actually do like his song, although I think it is far too slow and quiet for Eurovision. It feels more like the intro to a great song which never really gets going. Anyway, I still expect him to get a decent result for the UK - probably better than anyone else in recent decades.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
I must admit.... May 25, 2012

Even though we haven't covered ourselves in glory in recent years with our entries.....

I absolutely loathe the UK entry this year. I don't know if it's because it's so slow and dull or because I don't really rate the singer.

He didn't do much to endear himself to me either when earlier in the week in a Panorama investigation, he basically said Azerbaijan's human rights record was nothing to do with him...he was only a singer. Funny how 'celebrities' wade into in
... See more
Even though we haven't covered ourselves in glory in recent years with our entries.....

I absolutely loathe the UK entry this year. I don't know if it's because it's so slow and dull or because I don't really rate the singer.

He didn't do much to endear himself to me either when earlier in the week in a Panorama investigation, he basically said Azerbaijan's human rights record was nothing to do with him...he was only a singer. Funny how 'celebrities' wade into international politics when it suits them (**Angelina Jolie, George Clooney...I mean YOU!**) and when it doesn't they dismiss it as beyond their sphere of influence.

Politics aside, I quite like Greece's entry. (Sorry Israel - yours is also dire!).
Collapse

Sarah Puchner
Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
French to English
Watching live on Saturday May 25, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Yep, slow and dull.

I haven't listened to any of the others yet, I am hosting a get-together tomorrow and we will be watching live over the Internet from Wisconsin. If anyone is interested, the list of finalists is here, http://www.eurovision.tv/page/baku-2012#Grand Final

and you can even download Engelbert posters (if you really must...) here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070hvg/features/party

I wish I could say "go UK!" but I just can't.

Sarah

Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Nadiia and Vatslav Yehurnovy
Ukraine
Local time: 15:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Well, we hope for the best May 25, 2012

Even more for Russian grandmas than for our Gaitana

Hope everyone could do that when their age

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Maja Źróbecka, MITI  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Poland May 26, 2012

Thank God Poland gave up on this ridiculous contest this year. I stopped watching it a long time ago, as it was just getting more and more embarrassing. And, Ty, your comments are spot on. I don't understand why money is being wasted on something of this quality. Just my opinion.

Enjoy to those who will be watching.

Maja

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
No, not again May 26, 2012

Even more for Russian grandmas than for our Gaitana

You don't want Kyiv to host Eurovision, eh? Especially seeing all these preparations for Euro-2012 highlighted in the Ukrainian threads?;) Yes, let it be Moscow next time, surely they can afford it!

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sabotage May 26, 2012

Part of me can't help but think the choice of Engelbert Whatshisname is a deliberate attempt at sabotage so that we definitely don't host the show next year...crafty!

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Exactly May 26, 2012

Maja Zrobecka wrote:

I don't understand why money is being wasted on something of this quality.

But Azerbaijan is clearly making a good touristic marketing this year. Usually between songs they show images from the country that is going to sing next, but they only show images from Azerbaijan.

But really time and money wasting.

Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
Exactly May 26, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Part of me can't help but think the choice of Engelbert Whatshisname is a deliberate attempt at sabotage so that we definitely don't host the show next year...crafty!

Let all those 'new' participants who take it all so seriously host it for the next few decades. It's all just excruciating...

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
What do I think? May 26, 2012

All the contributions will have a short life, thank god, and then perhaps more people will understand that music worth listening to is mostly fairly old.
If music survives a few years, many years or even hundreds of years, it is a guarantee of value.

Eurovision is rather like the present financial crisis. A jumble of codswallop and nothingness in colourful wrappings.

[Edited at 2012-05-26 10:57 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Ireland May 26, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

That's what they're saying about the Irish entry
And BTW I quite like Englebert's song - they don't have to be fast.

[Edited at 2012-05-26 12:45 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Waltz Time May 26, 2012

I had not heard Engelbert Humperdinck singing the UK entry, but I have just listened to it. I really like it. I agree it probably won't score well because it is not loud and frantic enough. But then my preference is for songs of the 1930s rather than anything post World War II (with a few exceptions).
I was pleased to notice that it is in three-four time. How long is it since a waltz was Top of the Pops or got anywhere in the Eurovision Song competition? I wrote a poem about the demis
... See more
I had not heard Engelbert Humperdinck singing the UK entry, but I have just listened to it. I really like it. I agree it probably won't score well because it is not loud and frantic enough. But then my preference is for songs of the 1930s rather than anything post World War II (with a few exceptions).
I was pleased to notice that it is in three-four time. How long is it since a waltz was Top of the Pops or got anywhere in the Eurovision Song competition? I wrote a poem about the demise of the waltz some years ago.

WALTZ TIME 1980

(To the tune of “My Way”, but sung in three-four time)

Although
I do not know
An awful lot
Of music theory,
The way
This song’s arranged
Just makes me feel
So sad and dreary.
This score
Is in four-four,
But I am sure
That that’s a false time,
So I tell
Them, What the hell!
And play it waltz time.

It’s not
So long ago,
They’d dance so close
You couldn’t part ‘em,
But now
They seem to think
That that is in-
Fra dignitatem.
And yet,
Do not forget,
If it’s a fault,
It’s just a small crime,
So play
Your own sweet way,
And make it waltz time.

To waltz,
You take a girl
Right in your arms,
And send her spinning.
She may
Still get away,
But it improves
Your chance of winning.
To dance
Six feet apart
Is just the dumb-
Est thing of all time,
So why
Not simply try
To play it waltz time?

Yes, there are times,
It’s surely true
For which a waltz
Simply will not do,
But nonetheless,
Without a doubt,
There is no need
To blot it out.
You still can win,
So don’t give in,
But play it waltz time!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eurovision 2012 - What do you think of your country's entry?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »