Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:18
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Feb 29, 2012

I'm traveling to Paris next week with someone who has never been to Europe. We'll be in Paris for three weeks, and we are considering visiting Germany or some other place for a few days. But where in Germany? Or somewhere else not too far from Paris? What are your suggestions?

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hard to say Feb 29, 2012

It all depends on what your interests and likes are, it is hard to say without knowing anything about you...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It also depends on how you want to travel within Europe Feb 29, 2012

Taking one of those spectacular high speed trains from Paris to Germany is a delight, according to my parents.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:18
German to Greek
+ ...
And... Feb 29, 2012

... how far is not too far?

If I had to show Germany in one day to someone who has never been in Europe before, I would choose Heidelberg.

Other possibilities: Brussels, London

Anna

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yesss!!! Heidelberg. Feb 29, 2012

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm wrote:

If I had to show Germany in one day to someone who has never been in Europe before, I would choose Heidelberg.

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yesss!!! Feb 29, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Yesss!!! Heidelberg.

This is what I want. Places that people are enthusiastic about - "Make sure you visit ______,
it's fantastic!"

[Edited at 2012-02-29 07:18 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Heidelberg Feb 29, 2012

Michele Fauble wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Yesss!!! Heidelberg.

This is what I want. Places that people are enthusiastic about - "Make sure you visit ______,
it's fantastic!"

Please feel free to contact me directly. I am a Heidelberger, I used to live in old town Heidelberg and I can recommend places that you won't find in any tourist guide. Oh man, now I am homesick...

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
London Feb 29, 2012

My suggestion is to take the Eurostar to London to see this great city and also use this wonderful feat of technology.

If you only have one day, take the Tour Bus around London (25 quid the last time I used it) and see all the sights - if there is something you want to see, like Madame Tussaud's, or do, like take a trip on the London Eye, you can hop off the bus, visit what you want (sometimes with a fee) and then hop back on the next bus. There are several tour bus companies, the B
... See more
My suggestion is to take the Eurostar to London to see this great city and also use this wonderful feat of technology.

If you only have one day, take the Tour Bus around London (25 quid the last time I used it) and see all the sights - if there is something you want to see, like Madame Tussaud's, or do, like take a trip on the London Eye, you can hop off the bus, visit what you want (sometimes with a fee) and then hop back on the next bus. There are several tour bus companies, the Big Bus Company and London Pride are two of the best known. For more than one day, there are some budget hotels near Euston Station - then you can go a bit further afield, e.g. Stratford to see Shakespeare's Birthplace. (Note: This is Stratford-upon-Avon, there is another Stratford near London). Be sure to go before the Olympic crowds!
Collapse

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:18
Member (2009)
German to English
Another vote for Heidleberg Feb 29, 2012

I spent my GAP year in Heidleberg and it's wonderful

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Another vote for London Feb 29, 2012

And/or Edinburgh.

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heidelberg Feb 29, 2012

It's encouraging to hear Heidelberg mentioned. I've read that it has been "ruined" by tourists.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:18
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Heidelberg is ok, Freiburg is better Feb 29, 2012

Heidelberg is ok, if you want to go where all tourists go.

If you want a city with a nicer and larger old town and less touristy character, come to Freiburg. You could travel from Paris by train (French TGV - this is a special experience of its own). Down here in the South we have everything you expect when visiting Germany.
If you come to Freiburg - let me know, we can point you to good hotels and locations to visit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for travel

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »