Off topic: A trip to Gent, Belgium, please advise on means of transport
Thread poster: Sanja Milosevic
Sanja Milosevic
Sanja Milosevic
Local time: 14:05
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Feb 28, 2012

Just as my subject says: I'm travelling to Gent, Belgium, next month and I need a piece of advice on means of transport + prices... Off course, I'll fly to Brussels, but should I take a bus or train to Brussels or Gent (is there a direct line) and which is cheaper? I assume that it's not too expensive but I would like to know, so I can my plan my budget.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
This seems to be a good link Feb 28, 2012

http://www.use-it.be/_files/inlineuploads/pages/ghent_flight_train_bus.pdf

Cheers,
Gerard

Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:05
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Train is easy Feb 28, 2012

But I think it may depend on which airport you fly into. In the main Brussels airport the train station is right underneath the concourse and there are regular trains to Gent. When I did this last year, I think the cost was about €11.00 for a single (one-way) ticket. There were discounts for the retired people in our group, so it's possible there are also discounts for young people or students. If you fall into that category it would be worth taking proof so you can take advantage of any disco... See more
But I think it may depend on which airport you fly into. In the main Brussels airport the train station is right underneath the concourse and there are regular trains to Gent. When I did this last year, I think the cost was about €11.00 for a single (one-way) ticket. There were discounts for the retired people in our group, so it's possible there are also discounts for young people or students. If you fall into that category it would be worth taking proof so you can take advantage of any discounts. It only takes about half an hour on the train.

http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passngr/to_from_brussels_airport/train/

I'm afraid I don't know about transport from the other Brussels airport (Charles Roi), which is where many of the low-cost airlines land, but I do know it's a good bit farther away.

Hope this helps.
I'm sure you'll really enjoy Gent; it's a beautiful city.
Collapse

Just Opera
Just Opera
Belgium
French to English
+ ...
train IMO Feb 28, 2012

Take the train. AFAIK there is one train per hour direct from Brussels airport to Gent-Sint-Pieters (main station), takes 50 mins in total or you can get any train from the airport to Brussels Central and then take one to Gent (20 mins from the airport to Brussels city, 30 mins from Brussels Central to Ghent).

Whatever way, it will cost around 15 euros (one-way) in total.

Then you get a tram (10 mins) or walk (20 mins) from Gent-Sint-Pieters to the centre of Gent (if
... See more
Take the train. AFAIK there is one train per hour direct from Brussels airport to Gent-Sint-Pieters (main station), takes 50 mins in total or you can get any train from the airport to Brussels Central and then take one to Gent (20 mins from the airport to Brussels city, 30 mins from Brussels Central to Ghent).

Whatever way, it will cost around 15 euros (one-way) in total.

Then you get a tram (10 mins) or walk (20 mins) from Gent-Sint-Pieters to the centre of Gent (if that is where you are going).

If you are arriving at Charleroi then you have to get the bus to Brussels South station (Gare du Midi) (45 mins, 12 euros single) and the train to Gent from South Station (30 mins, 11 euros single)

[Edited at 2012-02-28 09:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-28 09:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-28 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Take the train Feb 28, 2012

Depending on the time of day there are several trains every hour.
Here is the official website where you can get timetables and information about fares:
http://hari.b-rail.be/HAFAS/bin/query.exe/en?

You can even downloa
... See more
Depending on the time of day there are several trains every hour.
Here is the official website where you can get timetables and information about fares:
http://hari.b-rail.be/HAFAS/bin/query.exe/en?

You can even download a timetable booklet: http://p2w-hari.b-rail.be/p2w/query-p2w.exe/en?whichTask=pf&REQ0JourneyStopsS0A=1&REQ0JourneyStopsS0G=Brussel-Nat-Luchthaven [B]&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0A=1&REQ0JourneyStopsZ0G=Gent-Sint-Pieters [B]&
Collapse

Sanja Milosevic
Sanja Milosevic
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 28, 2012

for so many useful pieces of information!
I'm travelling Belgrade - Brussels, which I see it's much less complicated than Charle Roi.
Unfortunately, I am not a student or senior, but the ticket price is OK. I only wish the accomodation prices were lower...

Sasan Zangeneh Bar
Sasan Zangeneh Bar  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
accomodation Feb 28, 2012

Have you checked airbnb.com? You might find some budget accommodations there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A trip to Gent, Belgium, please advise on means of transport

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »