Thread poster: Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
Local time: 07:02
English to German
+ ...
Jan 24, 2012

Hello all,

I will take my translation work to Zimbabwe during February and March.
Any translators/interpreters out there?
It would be great to meet, talk shop, compare notes, share experiences ...

See you there? - Tichaonana

[Edited at 2012-01-24 08:15 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:02
There never were very many Jan 24, 2012

The handful of professional translators who were in Zimbabwe that I knew have all moved to other countries, with the exception of one, not in your language pair, who sadly had to close down the only professional translation agency in the country three years ago, since I believe the agency was making an impact in enhancing the quality of translation to and from the vernacular languages. When I emigrated from Zimbabwe I believe I was the only accredited De-En translator in the country (apart from... See more
The handful of professional translators who were in Zimbabwe that I knew have all moved to other countries, with the exception of one, not in your language pair, who sadly had to close down the only professional translation agency in the country three years ago, since I believe the agency was making an impact in enhancing the quality of translation to and from the vernacular languages. When I emigrated from Zimbabwe I believe I was the only accredited De-En translator in the country (apart from any foreign nationals at the German, Swiss, or Austrian embassies fulfilling that function), although several Zimbabweans received medical and technical training in Germany and have returned to their country to work. I am aware that there are one or two young translators there now but I would not know where to find them. The Goethe Institut always seemed to struggle to gain momentum. The University of Zimbabwe does not offer anything remotely resembling a degree in translation, and enquiries years ago revealed that German was not a subject offered! This may account for the paucity of translators around. I am quite happy to give you privately details of the odd contact still I have (primarily NGOs), if you are interested.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators in Zimbabwe?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »