Off topic: Anyone using Windows Phone 7.5 ?
Thread poster: Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
Local time: 01:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 11, 2012

Good morning all,
I would like to hear impressions about Windows Phone 7.5. More specifically, how good the Office and email (POP3) applications are and if it is worth it. The UI looks good, but I want to make a smart decission, instead of being driven by emotions. LOL.
Thank you.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once bitten... Jan 11, 2012

No, but I'll come round and smash it up with a hammer if you like, and any other Windows 7-related stuff you may also want rid of, free of charge.

Seriously, I'm just trying to say wouldn't accept it even as a gift if it has anything to do with Windows 7, but then I'm just an old grouch. (I don't like the iPhone either...)

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:30
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Well... Jan 12, 2012

Windows Phone is as good as Android a couple of years ago, which means good enough for work. It smoothly interacts with MS cloud (namely Exchange Online), just as Android interacts with Google Apps, which is basically all the translator needs.
However, WP sucks when it comes to customisation, at least compared to Android, and its app infrastructure is much smaller... Games are much better howeverJ

Ultimately the choice is between cloud providers. If you worked in outlook all y
... See more
Windows Phone is as good as Android a couple of years ago, which means good enough for work. It smoothly interacts with MS cloud (namely Exchange Online), just as Android interacts with Google Apps, which is basically all the translator needs.
However, WP sucks when it comes to customisation, at least compared to Android, and its app infrastructure is much smaller... Games are much better howeverJ

Ultimately the choice is between cloud providers. If you worked in outlook all your life, if your life is actually in the outlook calendar, if you just hate clumsy ajax UIs, go for WP, and Exchange Online. If you are a stubborn gmailer like me, who remembers when gmail was a private club, and the above points just make you laugh, go for Android, and Google Apps.

Still, this is a matter of choice. BTW, pop3 is not relevant anymore. You are getting a push client for their "cloud", email experience will remind texting — fast (immediate send/receive) and smooth.

Oh, about iPhone. Just buy it, and give it to your kids.

[Edited at 2012-01-12 23:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone using Windows Phone 7.5 ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »