Thread poster: 3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 20:08
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2011

A boon to the Muslim community! Although with a population of over 180 million exactly of the Islamic population the penetration of the mobile gadgets is comparatively less than what is expected. India being the largest mobile marketing country has given rise to over 850 million subscribers but why the Muslim community is so much less? Is it just because of not getting the right language to make use of the mobile? If that is so then perhaps this newly launched Islamic Smart Phone will increase t... See more
A boon to the Muslim community! Although with a population of over 180 million exactly of the Islamic population the penetration of the mobile gadgets is comparatively less than what is expected. India being the largest mobile marketing country has given rise to over 850 million subscribers but why the Muslim community is so much less? Is it just because of not getting the right language to make use of the mobile? If that is so then perhaps this newly launched Islamic Smart Phone will increase the usability.

What say?

Would love to see you people giving your lovely opinion here.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
That leaves waiting for the Christian model Dec 7, 2011

not to mention the Buddhist, Zarathustrian and Jewish (kosher) phone.
I very much would appreciate a device with agnostic version of Windows.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:38
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A wrong term? Dec 7, 2011

I wonder whether you wanted to say that Arabic smart phone were being launched?

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
A Gimmick? Dec 7, 2011

Is it the newest marketing gimmick? People all over the world have been using phones for so many years now. Making and receiving calls is a basic need independent of religion. What is so special about this phone? Do we know any specifications for the phone?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Hebrew to English
Unfortunately "Islamic" really is intended.... Dec 7, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8935875/Islamic-smart-phone-launched.html

Apparently the phone has:
"a full copy of the Koran, a GPS application which points to Mecca and a calculator for Zakaat charitable donations. "

I think the whole thing is rather ridiculous. I'm pretty sure there are Apps whereby you can already download the Koran (and Bible and Torah and....) and I'd be shell shocked if there weren't plenty of "compass" apps. Atil is spot on, it's a gimmick.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:38
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A different perception of life? Dec 7, 2011

Ty Kendall wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Unfortunately "Islamic" really is intended....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8935875/Islamic-smart-phone-launched.html

The idea is a bit striking, so I fear I am facing a cultural thing here. Although I do my best to be a good member of my faith and never hesitate to share the reasons of my beliefs, the idea of an electronics product customised for a particular faith and sold as such seems quite awkward at first.

However, if I think about it a bit.... if someone offered a Catholic Smart Phone with the Gospels, historic and artistic information about temples and relics, lives of saints, an app to pinpoint the nearest Catholic church and its service timetables, Angelus alarm at noon, and translations of prayers in different languages for my trips to other countries, I would probably find the idea very laughable at first, but would consider buying it for my use even in Spain. So maybe the Islamic Smart Phone is not that stupid for people who live the Islamic faith very ferviently.

Stefan Blommaert
Stefan Blommaert
Brazil
Local time: 11:38
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not only the agnostic one, but... Dec 7, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

not to mention the Buddhist, Zarathustrian and Jewish (kosher) phone.
I very much would appreciate a device with agnostic version of Windows.

...even the atheist version.
After all, science hasn't come all this way and hasn't produced all these nice gadgets thanks to all these wonderful religions; it is more "in spite of". So, some form of recognition is due, or so I think.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Hebrew to English
What's offensive is.... Dec 7, 2011

....not that it's (shamelessly) targeting Muslims, after all, this is marketing 101, but that it's just such an obvious gimmick which isn't tapping into the real reasons behind the fact that Indian Muslims aren't buying smartphones.

I really suspect that the reason the iphone 4S isn't flying off the shelves in India (for Indian Muslims) might be something to do with the ridiculous price tag, not the fact that it doesn't have a pre-loaded copy of the Koran.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Interesting idea Dec 7, 2011

Let's elaborate about these religious gadgets.
A Jewish version would not ring on Friday night anymore.
An Islamic smart phone (should we call it dumb phone?) would let you surf the net but would not show images of people or animals.
And any fundamentalist phone would not display images of nude people. A dream of all moralists.
I believe in some area they have phones that do not display words of political connection.

That brings to mind a news from last week.
... See more
Let's elaborate about these religious gadgets.
A Jewish version would not ring on Friday night anymore.
An Islamic smart phone (should we call it dumb phone?) would let you surf the net but would not show images of people or animals.
And any fundamentalist phone would not display images of nude people. A dream of all moralists.
I believe in some area they have phones that do not display words of political connection.

That brings to mind a news from last week. Apple store in Finnish had censored incriminated words like "hell", so you could buy Dante's H**l (in Finnish H******i).
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Religious Appliances Sold Dec 7, 2011

By the same token, we might have religious (meaning either Islamic, Christian, Catholic, etc) TV set, radio set, washing machine, dryer, water heater, computer, hard drive, printer, DVD player, VHS player, oven, coffee machine, toaster, camera, clock, etc. Isn't it sad that marketing gurus missed all these and maybe more?

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Religion cannot be the name of Marketing Dec 7, 2011

First of all I would like to thank all the commenter for getting engrossed over the very topic. I think the marketers are now making a sharp difference between each religion. Why there should be different devices or gadgets for each religion? What is its use for? Does a Hindu man don’t have the same two eyes, one nose, two legs, two hands like the Muslim or the Buddhist and the Sikhs owes a different feature than the Jewish or Zarathustrian? I don’t think this idea can hit the market until a... See more
First of all I would like to thank all the commenter for getting engrossed over the very topic. I think the marketers are now making a sharp difference between each religion. Why there should be different devices or gadgets for each religion? What is its use for? Does a Hindu man don’t have the same two eyes, one nose, two legs, two hands like the Muslim or the Buddhist and the Sikhs owes a different feature than the Jewish or Zarathustrian? I don’t think this idea can hit the market until and unless the Muslim themselves put a STOP to this devices.Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Speaking as a Muslim... Dec 8, 2011

Speaking as a Muslim, I do not have any problem with the idea of an "Islamic" smart phone, especially if it helps people fulfill their religious obligations and makes religion "cool" among the youth. Yes, there are apps that can be downloaded independently, but not everyone knows how to install and use these. It is thus more appealing to have a phone that is already fully loaded. Hopefully a phone like this would remind people to use their phones in a way that is pleasing to God and to avoid the... See more
Speaking as a Muslim, I do not have any problem with the idea of an "Islamic" smart phone, especially if it helps people fulfill their religious obligations and makes religion "cool" among the youth. Yes, there are apps that can be downloaded independently, but not everyone knows how to install and use these. It is thus more appealing to have a phone that is already fully loaded. Hopefully a phone like this would remind people to use their phones in a way that is pleasing to God and to avoid the troubles many people are getting into with their phones. I think it could make a nice gift from a parent to a teen who is starting to gain more independence. Adults, too, would find the compass and other features beneficial. As someone else stated, however, the reason Indian Muslims don't buy as many phones probably has nothing to do with which apps they come with. That sounds like an economic issue.

An Islamic smart phone (should we call it dumb phone?) would let you surf the net but would not show images of people or animals.,

With all due respect, practicing religion is not dumb to me and to many others. If people don't like the phone because they think it is motivated by corporate greed, that is one thing. But I can't see anything wrong with adding religious touches to modern technology for the people who enjoy that. ▲ Collapse

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Religious Gadgets cannot be a HIT idea Dec 9, 2011

Well Amel I really loved the way you have defined and tackled the entire discussion. Also I don’t have any hesitation to say that I really admire your respect towards the religion. But being a descendent from the Muslim community I feel it a bit awkward. Because yes one can really get out from every kind of religious obligation or youths can show off their cool religious mobiles but does that really remain for them that useful as it should be?

If there is an Islamic phone then do
... See more
Well Amel I really loved the way you have defined and tackled the entire discussion. Also I don’t have any hesitation to say that I really admire your respect towards the religion. But being a descendent from the Muslim community I feel it a bit awkward. Because yes one can really get out from every kind of religious obligation or youths can show off their cool religious mobiles but does that really remain for them that useful as it should be?

If there is an Islamic phone then don’t you think that there should be a phone for Buddhists, for Hindus, for Sikhs? Don’t you think then each and every religion should have their own mobile phones? And one day if such would happen, if every religion start to use their own mobile phone then every people would be known with their religious mobile instead of their individual identity. No people would then get the name of “Human Being”.
Collapse

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
halal phone Dec 14, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

"halal phone" is spot on.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Locking thread Dec 14, 2011

Dear all,

I am locking this thread as the discussion seems to be heading for less productive waters, close to becoming out of scope, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1

Thanks for your contributions. If you have any furt
... See more
Dear all,

I am locking this thread as the discussion seems to be heading for less productive waters, close to becoming out of scope, http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1

Thanks for your contributions. If you have any further doubts, please submit a support request, http://www.proz.com/support

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“’Islamic Smart Phones’ launched”

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »